What XC tyre for the hopefully dry summer?

JumperSimon14
JumperSimon14 Posts: 284
edited April 2010 in MTB general
What would you choose when choosing your dry set of tryes? Nothing too expensive around £40-50 a pair.

Cheers.
Simon
Giant XTC 2.5 '08
Felt Virtue 3 '10
Giant Defy 2 '11
Giant Terrago Disc '07 - Convereted for CX
Fit Team Park Bmx '08

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    For dry, racy XC stuff, and I didn't care about wear or punctures, the Race King Supersonic.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    because i like tubeless, my choice is specialized sworks the captains. pair can be had for under 50 quid, light, fast rolling and nice and grippy.
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    Specialized Sauserwind Controls - 1.8 /2.0" with added puncture resistance and beefed up carcass, 525g, rolls and grips brilliantly in wet and dry. perfect for dry Summer trails. 22 quid a pop.

budget orientated (and folding) michelin xc hard terrain and xc dry 2. on-one have the latter for 10 quid (2.0s)
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Racing Ralphs, I got a pair from Merlin for £46 last year.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    Either the sauserwinds or the race king supersonic. Fitted the RKs because nobody wanted them, very fast on dry, flat, grass and fine stuff but s**t scary on larger gravel. No puncture problems on roots etc, and there's no big rocks in Suffolk. They can't cope with any type of mud. Sauserwinds are pretty much fit and forget, only had to switch in the flooded super gloop of january.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • I could do with some new tyres for these dusty conditions.
    The minions are becoming a bit overkill.
    supersonic wrote:
    For dry, racy XC stuff, and I didn't care about wear or punctures, the Race King Supersonic.

What about dry, fast AM/general trail stuff, and I do care about punctures because there are quite a few sharp rocks?!
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    razer mx...

so fast the friction between the air and your skin causes all your flesh to melt off.
  • razer mx...

so fast the friction between the air and your skin causes all your flesh to melt off.

Sweeeeeeeet :lol:

Seriously though, they look great. I may have to try them. 530g sounds good, and crc are popping the folding out for £24 a pop!
  • supersonic
    edited April 2010
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    I could do with some new tyres for these dusty conditions.
    The minions are becoming a bit overkill.
    supersonic wrote:

What about dry, fast AM/general trail stuff, and I do care about punctures because there are quite a few sharp rocks?!

Hence why I posted so, muppet! :D But the pros are somewhat better in that department.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Maxxis Ignitors or an ignitor on the front and a holy roller on the back

you would be surprised how good the holy roller is and how light it is for its volume but the ignitor pair will probably be a better choice
  • asdfhjkl
    asdfhjkl Posts: 333
    razer mx...

+1

Rapid.
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    Same thing I choose for everything of course, 2.2 Rubber Queen USTs.
  • supersonic
    Yep, nice and light those for xc...
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    Didn't say anything about being light.. And they're not heavy.. :wink:
  • furby
    furby Posts: 200
    Racing Raplhs, maybe a Nobbly Nic on the front. They seem to be perfect for my bike and the range of riding I do.
  • SDK2007
    SDK2007 Posts: 782
    Furious Fred - it's an awesome dry XC race tyre, probably the fastest you can buy.
    I use one on the rear and a Race King Supersonic on the front.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    whatever you do, avoid the conti mountain kings.

after riding in various condition on them for a few weeks, I am still unable to tell what the ideal conditions are for them.

in fact the only positive thing i could say about them is that..they roll quite well...

but...i am struggling for grip in them, and the sidewall flex is doing my brains in.....

and I got 3 flipping pinch flats in a half hour sunday!

time to go tubeless....maybe with a highroller front/advantage rear combination.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    Personally I'd use whatever happened to be on the bike since I last used it... Ideally they would be Racing Ralphs but generally I'm too lazy to bother changing them..
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    I used to use the 2.1 Razer, it was fast and pretty capable. Bit thin and scary on the front though. I ripped the sidewall out at the end of last summer so I'm on a 2.1 small block- the extra volume is definitely appreciated for saving my spine on long rides
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • I use specialized fast trak lk sport tyres. never had any problems with them, and they're not particularly expensive
  • amt27
    amt27 Posts: 320
    Nevegal (F) Small Block 8 (R)
  • CycloRos
    CycloRos Posts: 579
    Small Block 8's when if it's bone dry, but it rarely is so usually stick to the Nobby Nics
    Current Rides -
    Charge Cooker, Ragley mmmBop, Haro Mary SS 29er
    Pics!
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    Spesh Renegade..If they ever release them over here.
  • RallyBiker
    RallyBiker Posts: 378
    Small block8 rear and ADvantage or FR Minion 60a front
  • SDK2007
    SDK2007 Posts: 782
    Minion for dry XC :shock:
    For XC riding you want a light, fast rolling tyre and that is not a Minion :wink:

Any of these will be perfect, with the grippy models at the end.

Conti -Race Kings, Speed King or Mountain Kings : Supersonic or Protection options
    Schwalbe - Furious Fred, Racing Ralph or Rocket Rons : Evo or S Skin option
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    SDK2007 wrote:
    Minion for dry XC :shock:
    For XC riding you want a light, fast rolling tyre and that is not a Minion :wink:

You would be surprised. It may not roll quite as well as race XC tyres but the grip in the corners means you can usually get down a track quicker.
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    michelin xc dry2, find these roll very fast and grip way better than racing ralphs wich are a terrible tyre for dry loose stuff esp on the front.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Small block 8s. Walked away with absolutely every summer tyre test last year, for good reason, they are absolutely superb. And last forever to boot.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • adydow
    adydow Posts: 92
    cee wrote:
    whatever you do, avoid the conti mountain kings.

Can't agree with that I have conti's Mountain King protection and the best and most grippy tyre I have ridden in most conditions.
    Of course its about the bike! Although having the legs helps.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,006
    Maxis advantage at the moment, however I've been a fan of Panaracer fire XC pro's for a long time. Only got the advantages because they were £30 for the pair on offer but I was well impressed with them.

I cant see the point of a "summer tyre" as the trails here vary all the time what with the great british weather.
    Advocate of disc brakes.