Interesting topic - the case against team cars

paulcuthbert
paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
edited April 2010 in Pro race
My flatmate raised an interesting point last night. We were talking about the ban on race radios, and he suggested a more all-encompassing way of making a race more fair and competitive.

What he suggested was that riders carried their own spares, repaired flats themselves, etc. and if they crashed and their bike was unrideable, then they were out of the race.

I don't know what to make of it, but I think it would make for some very interesting racing!

What do y'all think?

Comments

• BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    I don't see what would be so 'interesting' or 'fair' about a situation where a puncture could well have more influence on the racing than a rider's ability.

Was the Tour more interesting 90 years ago when such a policy was the norm?
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    Ugh. I hate that idea. I don't want to see who's the best at changing a flat tire, I want to see who climbs the best, who's the best TT, etc.

I think the only thing with team cars that needs to be changed is they should all be electric or air cars.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Actually, I think your flatmate may have a point, Paul. Although there is zero chance of it happening. Cuddles would probably have been quicker mending his own puncture during last year's Vuelta.

Shame the 1906 Tour isn't on YouTube.
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    But if you are team leader nothing would change from now you just take a wheel/bike from one of the others in the team.

I honestly don't think it would make a huge difference and is all a bit pointless debating as it ain't going to happen.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,245
    donrhummy wrote:
    Ugh. I hate that idea. I don't want to see who's the best at changing a flat tire, I want to see who climbs the best, who's the best TT, etc..

This.

Apart from the TTing.

That's boring.

Unless it's Cancellara on home turf, but even then.