on one 456 carbon frame

Comments

• Tolk
    Tolk Posts: 775
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    bring on the day when there is a good £500 Ti frame :lol:

If that ever happens, there will be some other "super metal" invented lol.

It'll be recycled plastic bottles. It's the future i tells thee!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You can actually recycle some carbon frames - Giants frames for example are 99% recoverable for the carbon.

Don't think ti will ever come down really.
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    The skilled welding required bumps up the price of Ti. Reliable common place robots could bring the price down a bit (after the initial cost of these more expensive robots), but I don't see the raw material price going anywhere (except up).
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    if Ti came down in price there would be a lot of upset bike hippies.
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    It is really a brilliant looking frame. But I just can't get it out of my head that carbon breaks. I'd rather have a bit of extra weight and peace of mind. I know its stupid. I know its illogical. I've been trying to get over it by buying myself carbon bars, and I love them - but I can't help but thinking, I wonder when they'll snap..
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    supersonic wrote:
    Steel, I am afraid, is dead.

:wink:

Steel is real! Carbon is purely imaginary- the other bits are held together with wishful thinking and dreams.
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Yup, tempted. But I want some real world guinea pigs first. £100 saving ain't worth the hassle of a frame with issues (and no, not saying that just because it's carbon, first runs of anything can go wrong, think of Inbreds needing their chainstays bashed in with a hammer or Hemlocks falling in half ;) ) I'll let someone else be the alpha tester.

But AAAAARGH tapered headtube not 1.5. I wanted the option of adjustable geometry :cry:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • sorry this is a well newbish question, but does a tapered head tube mean a 1 1,18" headset and forks will fit? or would i need to buy a new headset and forks?

and it looks lovely, i was looking at about £300 for a steel or maybe alu frame, but for an extra £100 ill happily try the carbon and see what happens,
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    submityournentries
    you have options. a straight 1 1/8 fork with a reducer lower headset cup/insert.

or a fork it a tapered steerer.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • okay awesome, well i dont wanna change my forks, cause i only bought them fairly recently, and they are doing the job just fine, so i shall look into a reducer lower cup :)

cheers for the super speedy reply, well awesomes :)
  • bigbenj_08 wrote:
    I guess it might be what you're paying for when comparing a cheap and expensive carbon frame..... thought.

I wonder what sort of research on-one did.... "let make a carbon frame... make it cheap"! lol.

I think the conversation went more like,

let's make a carbon frame, get it tested and pass the tests. We'll get it made ourselves and import it and market it directly, that way we'll cut out the foreign distributor's profits, the UK distributors profits and the UK retailers profits. Then we can sell it at a sensible price.

Or maybe it really is a load of old coke bottles glued together with Pritt stick, we'll find out soon I guess.

SONIC Any Idea when WMB will be testing it? The Bikeradar info a few months back said they would be
  • carbonfiend
    carbonfiend Posts: 475
    if you followed th story of this frame you will see it has been designed and built in the usual On One manner if fact they even brought in a carbon fibre expert as well to help with it along with the R&D they done. My only (small) criticism of this frame is the weight 1.5kg is heavy for a carbon HT my S Work is only just over 1kg and I have a scandal that is 1.4kg and cost £250. I think I'll wait till they bring a more race orientated frame out which i think they are doing but all in all this looks great and i do love On One they appear to genuinely give you as much as possible for a little as possible.
    '..all the bad cats in the bad hats..'
  • Wait for the carbon Whippet, it looks lush

whippet

carbon-whippet-frame.jpg
  • Giant Jon
    Giant Jon Posts: 49
    The Whippet does look good, and would look even better if the price is roughly the same!

Wonder what the mud clearance is like though, looks to be a bit of a shelf behind the bottom bracket...
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    carbonfiend- what is the max travel on your s-works? the 456 is rated for up to 160mm, so it's got to have a bit more bulk to stop the head tube getting ripped off and cope with the extra abuse it's likely to get
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • carbonfiend- what is the max travel on your s-works? the 456 is rated for up to 160mm, so it's got to have a bit more bulk to stop the head tube getting ripped off and cope with the extra abuse it's likely to get

Just what I was about to say.

The lightweight 100mm travel model is going to be the whippet, and that will be around the same weight as your S-works frame (afaik).

1.5kg for a 160mm travel Hardcore hardtail is bIoody light when you look at everything else available at the moment.
  • on-one's 29er carbon frame weighs less than 1kg, so the whippet should be at least as light as that!
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    Pics of the possible colour schemes have been posted too -

http://www.on-one.co.uk/news/products/q ... -you-think

Quite like number 1.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    My only (small) criticism of this frame is the weight 1.5kg is heavy for a carbon HT my S Work is only just over 1kg and I have a scandal that is 1.4kg and cost £250.

No offence but that's a really, really silly comparison.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Northwind wrote:
    My only (small) criticism of this frame is the weight 1.5kg is heavy for a carbon HT my S Work is only just over 1kg and I have a scandal that is 1.4kg and cost £250.

No offence but that's a really, really silly comparison.

+1

It's a FR/AM hartail that is meant to handle anything you throw at it. In what way is 1.5kg heavy?

Simple answer, want lighter, get a much more expensive and probably weaker frame
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    those colour scheems are AWSOME! apart from 1 and 8 which look a bit weird....
    I like bikes and stuff
  • 7,9 or 10 would be just lovely for me :D
  • I want colourscheme 4! That would look EPIC with my current setup!
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    This one
    100421104657-custompaintonone1000px.jpg
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • carbonfiend
    I still think 1.5kg is heavy for carbon HT whether it cant take 6" fork or not my s works has 1.5" head tube BB90 and chainstays like tysons forearms but is still 400g lighter thats a lot, plus if I'm truly honest if you ride anywhere where you need 6" travel up front not sure I'd choose carbon HT to do it on?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    That is a different argument though - 1500g for a frame that can take a 160 mm fork and is designed to jumped and dropped is bloody light no matter which way you look it.

You could say 1100g is a lot for a XC frame when some are now 930g.
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    some of those graphics are gorgeous. i like em all. 10 you could potentially make art with
  • carbonfiend
    yeah agreed, it was only a small criticism remember and in principle i think this is amazing and i am well signed up for the whippet but not still sure I'd still wanna jump and drop a carbon HT, though maybe this is 'the first carbon frame that you can afford to break' :)
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    Number 10 :shock: I want...

However; the carbon Whippet has thrown a spanner in the works... could be built in to a very light singlespeed...
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity