on one 456 carbon frame

Tolk
Tolk Posts: 775
edited August 2010 in MTB general
Just had an email through, they're doing a limited offer at £399. Amazing price for a carbon frame!

Clicky

Comments

• limited discount offer for guinea pigs you mean :wink:

1st batch of an untested frame... as me and CWNT discussed at the weekend lol!
  • Tolk
    That's true, but if they've got it spot on, that's a bargain!

I have just bought another frame (not a 456) for a long term build, just have to hide it at work from the missus! :lol:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Surely it is CEN tested?
  • hehe. with all the new safety regs, i'm sure it'll be fine.... but you never know being the 1st batch :lol:

I'm intrigued to see what the weave is like. The carbon on the natural Zaskar and the Ibis are amazing!

If I was to go by what i've seen in car parts.... cheaper carbon parts have a fairly random weave that doesn't look too great/isn't a consistent pattern.... generally looking a bit cheap!
  • supersonic
    My zaskar has an odd look close up - no cosmetic weave. Some did though.
  • bigbenj_08 wrote:
    hehe. with all the new safety regs, i'm sure it'll be fine.... but you never know being the 1st batch :lol:

I'm intrigued to see what the weave is like. The carbon on the natural Zaskar and the Ibis are amazing!

If I was to go by what i've seen in car parts.... cheaper carbon parts have a fairly random weave that doesn't look too great/isn't a consistent pattern.... generally looking a bit cheap!

ewwww... infact it doesn't have a weave!

It looks like a Uni-Directional weave... meaning the carbon isn't woven and you don't get that carbon look. Its just a bit of old plastic! :lol:
  • Tolk
    I wonder what colours they're going to sell it in. If the weave is good, a naked one would look cool. I'm sure i read they were thinking about custom jobbies too.

Ben - is that not just because it's the pre production finish?
  • Tolk wrote:
    I wonder what colours they're going to sell it in. If the weave is good, a naked one would look cool. I'm sure i read they were thinking about custom jobbies too.
    look at the photo of the rear stays... it looks like chalkboard paint!
  • supersonic
    The top layer just adds weight.
  • Tolk wrote:

Ben - is that not just because it's the pre production finish?

Doubt it.. lots of stuff is made in that sort of style... My Easton Monkeylight CNT bars for instance!
    I'm not overly keen on the look of them either tbh, you can see all the creases/imperfections in the carbon!
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    I'm waiting for the whippet to be released, it's supposed to be well below 1kg and the 456 is a bit over engineered for where I ride.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • Tolk
    Would deffo want a lick of paint on it then!
  • supersonic wrote:
    The top layer just adds weight.

Ahh yes... but the outer weave can determine the overall ride of the bike.

Unidirectional is the stiffest carbon weave! (which is great for road bikes.....)
    http://storckbicycle.com/usa/index.php? ... arbonfiber
  • supersonic
    Most outer weaves are purely cosmetic though. I don't know about the Stork, if they do it different.

On my Zaskar you can see the top tube randomness:

zz.jpg

Though it does use some black stickers for a two tone effect.
  • Yep, got my email through from them too.

June 30th it'll be released.

I'd order it now, but I want to work out some details, mainly if my Pikes would fit. :D

Even if I dont get it at reduced price, £500 still seems a bargain!
  • I guess it might be what you're paying for when comparing a cheap and expensive carbon frame..... thought.

I wonder what sort of research on-one did.... "let make a carbon frame... make it cheap"! lol.
  • supersonic
    I think noways [though I am not sure] maybe the outer cosmetic bit can be integrated better into the overall design which has no compromises. It used to be an expensive cosmetic bit - people associate the weave with CF.

All companies say their way is best lol - some are monocoque, others say lugs are better, some use different carbons etc etc.

500 though is a great price. I paid 620 for the Zaskar. The Exotic looks a good bet too.
  • Well at least there's no rider weight limit on it lol.... yet :lol:

I like the look o the Tranny (sounds wrong).... but its £1300 for the frame! :shock:
    It does look very very special though, and the tech is pretty convincing too!
  • supersonic wrote:
    I think noways [though I am not sure] maybe the outer cosmetic bit can be integrated better into the overall design which has no compromises. It used to be an expensive cosmetic bit - people associate the weave with CF.

All companies say their way is best lol - some are monocoque, others say lugs are better, some use different carbons etc etc.

500 though is a great price. I paid 620 for the Zaskar. The Exotic looks a good bet too.

Yea tis a good price... if it rides well :)

From reading the Stork website, the different outer weaves can change stiffness/flex/comfort... I guess its something you are more likely to pay more for though obviously!
  • supersonic
    Shows how much carbon is advancing. As much as I like the Zaskar, it is 3 years old now - time for an update. Maybe put a bigger headtube in, and revise the seat mast [too big in my opinion, and a weak spot]. The triple triangle could be integrated here to support it like on the old anatomica frames. Mybe BB30 support.

That said, it is a fecking stiff frame for the design.
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    I'm interested by the carbon 456, but I'm waiting to see final finish and to hear some feedback from buyers before parting with the cash. I can potentially stomach the extra £100 in this case.
  • supersonic
    I really do think composites and carbon are the future for many frames and riders.
  • GHill
    supersonic wrote:
    I really do think composites and carbon are the future for many frames and riders.

I have no doubt about that. And I'm a fairly big guy too.
  • supersonic
    The price is coming down all the time. Soon we will have frames [and it is starting already] that are the price of a good steel frame - yet will be half the weight, and could very well feel the same to ride.
  • GHill
    Yep. I was half thinking about a Cotic Soul, but with this I can get a carbon frame in the same price bracket and can save a significant chunk of weight.

Proof is in the riding though 8)
  • supersonic
    Steel, I am afraid, is dead.

:wink:
  • GHill
    Having ridden an aluminium Niner EMD the other day, I'd guess that you're right. Fantastically compliant ride that "felt" like steel but weighed a fraction of the amount.
  • GHill wrote:
    I'm interested by the carbon 456, but I'm waiting to see final finish and to hear some feedback from buyers before parting with the cash. I can potentially stomach the extra £100 in this case.

I'm very much with you on this one. I want to hear some first hand owners reports on it, especially ones who've already had a steel 456.

My 456 is pretty much new, and it rides very well. So I'm in no rush to swap, and like you say, the extra £100 is a small price to pay for extra piece of mind (not that I have any doubts over the strength. It's more finish quality and ride I'm interested in)

As for the colour, that sort of matte black suits me just fine. If anything, it'll match the Pikes. I think it would go rather well with my existing orange parts too.
  • At least when a steel frame snaps you can weigh it in for scrap :) What do you do with a carbon besides pull the splinters out of your arse ?

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • bring on the day when there is a good £500 Ti frame :lol:

If that ever happens, there will be some other "super metal" invented lol.