Cassette: Ultegra 11/28
Pedals: Look Keo 2 Max White

Front Wheel: Bontrager Race Lite
Tire: Bontrager X Lite Pro

Back Wheel: Bontrager Race Lite
Tire: Bontrager X Lite Pro

Accessories: Trek Bat Cage Bottle Holders, Cateye V2C Computer, Lezyne pump

Weight: 8kg

Other info: Purchased 16th April 2010 - All transmission and wheels are brand new. Frame is in mint condition and is the rarer aero 5.9 model from 2005 although original purchaser bought new in 2007. This frame design was raced for one season in 2004 in the TDF by Lance Armstrong. He reverted to the straight seat tube model in 2005 which is why this frame shape is quite rare now - in comparism to other Trek 5900 and 5.9's SL and SSL.

First ride this morning and covered 34 miles in two hours. Absolutely loved it although the Titanox seat is a little sharp on my large ass. I am considering changing to a Fizik Arione in black and red - any thoughts?

What do you think - I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Trek Madone 5.9
Kinesis Crosslight T4

Comments

• hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Very nice, mate...
    Quite unusual, too. Not noticed the top tube sloped up, before.

Enjoy!
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • AndyD2574
    AndyD2574 Posts: 1,034
    Lovely mate.

Looks very neat.................whatever saddle you get..............keep it black.
    Specialized S Works Venge
    Argon18 E114
    Specialized Langster Single Speed
    Scott Spark Expert 29'er
    GT Avalanche
    http://www.glasgowgreencycleclub.co.uk
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    That's a fine looking machine.
  • I think a better and nicer bike than the new shape madone..
    I had similar shape 2007 5.0 and i changed to the a newer 5.5 and i didn't notice any improvement.
    The only thing i would change are the wheels... The race lite's just arent very good, if you can afford it see wheelsmith.co.uk
    Very nice madone, a classic thoroughbread beast
  • Very nice bike :)
  • ALaPlage
    ALaPlage Posts: 732
    Many thanks all. Going to try a selle italia max flite gel flow saddle to see if that improves the comfort.
    Trek Madone 5.9
    Kinesis Crosslight T4
  • topher9
    topher9 Posts: 54
    V nice that. Shifters aren't Ultegra SL though, they're the new Ultegra 6700 which are much better and lighter than the SL.

V, v nice.
  • ALaPlage
    topher9 wrote:
    V nice that. Shifters aren't Ultegra SL though, they're the new Ultegra 6700 which are much better and lighter than the SL.

V, v nice.

Quite correct - I listed them on the brake levers as 6700 but forgot to note that the shifters are the said same.

Tried a Bontrager R saddle in wide fit and found it wasn't for me so have gone with the Selle Max Flite gel seat - very comfortable on a three hour ride yesterday although it's not as sleek in profile on the bike as the SKN that I got with it. Comfort beats the sleekness of lines though.

I am so impressed with the ride of the Madone and the gear change is so slick. For anyone looking for a new bike I would say consider second hand as you get so much more for your money. Just take your time to find someone who has cherished the bike or hardly used it. This bike would have cost me around £2500+ for a new carbon frame bike with full Ultegra and 6700 shifters and I spent half that.
    Trek Madone 5.9
    Kinesis Crosslight T4
  • tonye_n
    tonye_n Posts: 832
    ALaPlage wrote:
    topher9 wrote:

V, v nice.

Quite correct - I listed them on the brake levers as 6700 but forgot to note that the shifters are the said same.

Looks ab fab!!
    I am very interested in pairing up ultegra 6700 levers to 6600sl groupset. How do you find the combination with ultegra sl brake calipers and front derailleur? I have heard that the braking is less than brilliant.
    Any problems with braking and/or front shifting performance?
    As one of the few people actually using this combination in practice YOUR CONTRIBUTION WILL BE HIGHLY VALUED.
  • ALaPlage
    tonye_n wrote:
    ALaPlage wrote:
    topher9 wrote:

V, v nice.

Looks ab fab!!
    I am very interested in pairing up ultegra 6700 levers to 6600sl groupset. How do you find the combination with ultegra sl brake calipers and front derailleur? I have heard that the braking is less than brilliant.
    Any problems with braking and/or front shifting performance?
    As one of the few people actually using this combination in practice YOUR CONTRIBUTION WILL BE HIGHLY VALUED.

In my experience it works a treat. Braking performance is fine and I mean they really grip. Even from the hoods applying braking from the top of the lever they work fine. Friend has 105 groupset and you really notice the improvement in brake performance on the Ultegra setup. I am delighted with the set-up and if you, like me, like the look then go for it. Very tidy and work sweet. the eye candy of the braking lever world! :D

Front deraileur no issues either. Changes up and down of the compact rings sweetly.
    Trek Madone 5.9
    Kinesis Crosslight T4
  • bexley5200
    bexley5200 Posts: 692
    edited July 2010
    cool ==============est
    going downhill slowly
  • Karl2010
    Karl2010 Posts: 511
    Oh just look at how shiny, clean and new it is.
    You planning on riding it or keeping it on the mantal peice? :)

Get out there and get some dirt on it... :)
  • ALaPlage
    Karl2010 wrote:
    Oh just look at how shiny, clean and new it is.
    You planning on riding it or keeping it on the mantal peice? :)

Get out there and get some dirt on it... :)

Not stopped riding it since I got it home but I keep it shiny after every ride with a good clean :D

30 miles Saturday, 75 miles Sunday and some big big hills, rest Monday (just spent the night looking at the bike - I keep it on a special hook above the mantleplace :wink: ) and 28 miles tonight. Club ride tomorrow night circa 25-30 miles and rest day again on Thursday. Friday a short 20 mile blast and Saturday probably the same as I have to work this week :( but doing the 75 miler again onSunday to see if I can do it quicker.

Clean and shiny - yes but getting used. :D
    Trek Madone 5.9
    Kinesis Crosslight T4
  • scottcara
    scottcara Posts: 2
    I am interested in a similar 2005 5.9 Aero with Dura-Ace and low mileage and was wondering what you might have paid for yours for comparison.

Thanks
  • ALaPlage
    scottcara wrote:
    I am interested in a similar 2005 5.9 Aero with Dura-Ace and low mileage and was wondering what you might have paid for yours for comparison.

Thanks

No probs - £1300 and delighted :D Recommend you go for it - top ride.
    Trek Madone 5.9
    Kinesis Crosslight T4
  • scottcara
    scottcara Posts: 2
    New to biking but I figure if I can get a "good" deal on a great bike, I will be hooked and be a better rider.

I am looking at an Ebay auction for a 5.9 Aero with all DA components and was wondering what a "fair" deal would be as a maximum bid and when would I be paying too much vs. something else. The reserve price for the 2005 which looks very clean and specifies low mileage is $2,000. That's right at being able to pick up a newer Ultegra bike which is probably also too much bike for me already. So I know that I will use the heck out of whatever I get since OCD is in my nature...

I could use some advice from the expertise on the board.

Thanks, Scott
  • ALaPlage
    The Madone 5.9 Aero is the 110 OCLV Carbon Frame which is the lightest frame in the Trek lineup. You would be buying a quality bike assuming it is in the cared for and low mileage condition you intimate. Too much bike? I do not think so. Its horses for courses as some would prefer to spend their money on something shiny and new but against a used bike for the same money you will not get specification and componetry as good.

I would ask what model Dura Ace is fittted. My bike came with new Ultegra SL and Ultegra 6700 carbon shifters which is better than early Dura Ace. You find that Shimano spend their development pot on Dura Ace and upgrade it year on year making it lighter and more efficient. The "last year" model of Dura Ace then becomes the current year Ultegra (give or take). The 5.9 Aero with Dura Ace would have been about $5000 to $6000 dollars new (£3500 in GBP). At current exchange rates you would be paying much the same as I did if $2000 is the price you can get it for. I feel its a fair price if condition is as new and I have seen older 5200 models going for the same money I paid.

You really need to try the bike if you can and if not that model due to location then via a local bike shop/club where someone has one for you to try. My Madone experience was a friends 2009 Madone 4.7 - I was hooked and was looking for a used version of that model and came across the 5.9 Aero that you can see I bought. Took a punt on it and have never looked back. Absolutely thrilled with it and it has made me enjoy my cycling more and motivated me to get out on the bike more often.
    Trek Madone 5.9
    Kinesis Crosslight T4
  • agnello
    agnello Posts: 239
    hopper1 wrote:
    Very nice, mate...
    Quite unusual, too. Not noticed the top tube sloped up, before.

Enjoy!

It doesn't on my one. Think that must be an optical illusion. Parallel to the ground - the way it should be!
    Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    Eddy Merckx Strada
    Gios Compact KK
    Raleigh Dynatech Diablo
    Canyon CF CLX / Record
    Charge Plug 3
    Kinesis GF Ti disc - WIP...
  • Thet
    Thet Posts: 6
    I just got this bike recently off a deal from Pinkbike.com, owner claimed that he did not ride more than 4000 kms on the bike + he is an old man in 60s; aside from the weight problem the bike was not abused. The Bike came with Dura ace group, one thing i'm concerned is that, i've heard a lot negative feedbacks about the wheel set (bontrager Race X-lite). People tends to have crack spoke or even crack hubs in this wheel with 4000km or so. This kind of worries me.
  • spanielsson
    spanielsson Posts: 776
    Thet wrote:
    I just got this bike recently off a deal from Pinkbike.com, owner claimed that he did not ride more than 4000 kms on the bike + he is an old man in 60s; aside from the weight problem the bike was not abused. The Bike came with Dura ace group, one thing i'm concerned is that, i've heard a lot negative feedbacks about the wheel set (bontrager Race X-lite). People tends to have crack spoke or even crack hubs in this wheel with 4000km or so. This kind of worries me.

Which model year are the wheels? I think it's the 2005 and before model that have the cracking problem.

I've had two sets of Race X Lite's that have been fantastic, bombproof wheels that roll really well.
  • leeroy72
    leeroy72 Posts: 330
    Nice bike... :P
    Find your limits...and then exceed them frequently
  • Thet
    Thet wrote:

Which model year are the wheels? I think it's the 2005 and before model that have the cracking problem.

I've had two sets of Race X Lite's that have been fantastic, bombproof wheels that roll really well.

I have the exact same bike like the original poster, it's a 2006 model which means 2005 bike; saddly, i it's the 2005 ... what made it more ironic is that the hub is Dt swiss.... I think the cracking issue is going to come sooner or later. I would like to aware of people tho; if you do have Bontrager Race X-lite wheel set, do check on your hub on drive side or none drive side and check the spoke connection on the rim carefully from time to time. If there is hair line cracks or even crack lines change the wheel set before it's too late.
  • Thet
    Thet wrote:

From what i heard there are 2008 2007 wheel sets of RXL have crack problems not just only 2005 or before, I think it's the design problem. One good thing is that Bontrager or Trek has 5 years of warranty, if you have the crack problem send back to LBS and Trek will replace new one without questions asked.
  • spanielsson
    Thet wrote:
    From what i heard there are 2008 2007 wheel sets of RXL have crack problems not just only 2005 or before, I think it's the design problem. One good thing is that Bontrager or Trek has 5 years of warranty, if you have the crack problem send back to LBS and Trek will replace new one without questions asked.

The hub shell is totally different on my 2008 produced wheels to the earlier models, I'm not saying they don't crack! Fingers crossed eh?!
  • Thet
    Thet wrote:

The hub shell is totally different on my 2008 produced wheels to the earlier models, I'm not saying they don't crack! Fingers crossed eh?!

I would prefer a quick check before you ride every time over fingers crossed lol. I think ill eventually crack the hub flange, for rim cracks i don't know yet. I have this RXL aero type one, the nipples are inside the rim; One thing that is annoying is the free hub sound, it's way too loud, is the 2008 model like that too? is there anyway to fix it.
  • Thet
    This is the wheel set i have i think these are from 2005
    http://jaxbicycles.com/itemdetails.cfm?LibId=39433

Spainiesson, if you can post the newer ones on 2008, ill take a look on the new hubs. Thanks in advance.
  • spanielsson
    Here you go:

DSC_0040.jpg

DSC_0036.jpg
  • Thet
    Here you go:

DSC_0040.jpg

DSC_0036.jpg

Looks like the hub walls are thickened and rear hug uses offside laces.