What to buy?

Oxygen Thief
Oxygen Thief Posts: 649
edited April 2010 in MTB buying advice
Basically I've got this website to play with as it's what my employer is using in the cycle to work scheme http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie

Thing is on there it looks like I'm looking at one of the CUBEs to get a decent spec but in order to have decent forks and hydraulic brakes I'm looking at about 700 odd quid?!

I've seen bikes elsewhere for sub £500 with these features! Am I better off just saving up and buying from elsewhere. There's a CUBE on that site for nearly £500 and it's got V-brakes ffs! What kind of a website is that?! A rip off one?

Any help on if any of the lower priced bikes on the site are worth buying would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Some times V brakes are fitted but the componentry is better elsewhere. But with only three brands to choose from, you are limited.

Do you need disc brakes when riding to work?
  • Thanks for reply.

I can't even choose the Lapierre's as they only deliver that in Ireland! God knows why my employer is using this website for the scheme?!?!

It's not going to be solely used for riding to work, I will also be out on the trails and XC with it. Aren't the forks on the bikes there crap? The Suntour ones?

So I think yes I will be needing better forks than that for my needs and disc brakes, maybe not so bothered about whether they're hydraulic or mechanical?

Confused.com!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yeah, the XCM are not that good. Infact, the Cube budget range is pretty poor, and Giants not much better!

The the Giant has a good frame and parts, is lumbered by a cack fork.
  • That's what I was thinking. Nightmare! Why can't they just sell a decent bike at a decent price? I'd be paying like £250 over the odds for kit I could get on a £500 Kona '09 model or a rockhopper. Takes the piss! I work in England why would my employer use one shit website in Ireland?! Doesn't make sense!