Third Party Liability Insurance

Happy Harry
Happy Harry Posts: 345
edited April 2010 in MTB general
I've just bought a £10 permit for cycling access to a nearby estate with lots of forest trails. But one of the conditions is that I have third party liability insurance of £250,000. That would cost me another £25 and as there is plenty of off-road riding in the area I probably won't bother.

But it's got me thinking about how many others have liability insurance. The bike's insured for theft on my home insurance so I'm reluctant to take out a separate policy. I can see how a huge claim could be made against me if I caused damage or injury so I'm starting to think perhaps it's sensible :roll:

So is there a consensus on the forum about this? For mainly off-road leisure riding, how many people take out third party insurance? Or is it better just to not run into people or damage stuff? Although that doesn't sound like a very fun option :cry:
Canyon XC 8.0 '11
Whyte 19 steel '10

Comments

• cgarossi
    cgarossi Posts: 729
    I don't.

If you are riding legally then unless theres a way to prove you were being negligent or dangerous on your bike then I can't see what they can sue you for. Accidents happen.

You're more likely to fall off your bike and hurt yourself than hit someone else to be honest. So spend that money on health insurance maybe, or elbow and knee pads :)
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    I think I probably should, just because I have bad luck with things like this, not sure where to buy it from though? £25 sounds too cheap to be worth it to me.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    £25 sounds too cheap to be worth it to me.

:?

It's probably cheap because cyclists rarely get sued.

I think the CTC include 3rd party insurance as part of membership. Don't know how much it is though.

How would the estate check you had insurance? Do you need to show them a certificat ebefore you're allowed to ride there? Or is it just a 'condition' which will never be checked unless you're unlucky and somehow cause £250k of damage?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    bails87 wrote:

I think the CTC include 3rd party insurance as part of membership. Don't know how much it is though.

Your probably right, I just have very little faith in insurance companies. As for CTC - it's £36 a year and one of the members perks is £10million third party insurance.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • Happy Harry
    Happy Harry Posts: 345
    bails87 wrote:
    How would the estate check you had insurance? Do you need to show them a certificat ebefore you're allowed to ride there? Or is it just a 'condition' which will never be checked unless you're unlucky and somehow cause £250k of damage?
    Probably the latter, so it covers them from being sued if I cause an accident to another visitor. They haven't asked for proof.
    Sorry, it was actually £27 in an online quote from Cycleguard for their Roadcare £1m cover.

http://www.cycleguard.co.uk/

Perhaps I should just ride more carefully, stop and get off when I see another person or animal or vehicle. And just to make doubly sure I could get business cards made up with a false name and address in case the bike falls on somebody's dog and I get sued for vet's fees.

Actually, I'm getting paranoid now. I'm getting too scared to go out in case I cause an expensive accident :shock:
    Canyon XC 8.0 '11
    Whyte 19 steel '10
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    bails87 wrote:

Your probably right, I just have very little faith in insurance companies.

But the OP doesn't actually want insurance. He just wants it to fulfil one of the criteria for riding at that specific site.

Happy Harry: Start a thread asking if any other MTBers have ever been succesfully pursued for damages. :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."