No Wiggins for Worlds

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited April 2010 in Pro race
He's going to concentrate on the Commonwealth games so won't be making the trip to Oz.

I suppose he might have been useful in the road team.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    I wonder if he wants to get out of riding for Cav.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Apparently the flight is long so it's not worth the hassle...

fabian_cancellara_cronometro_mendrisio_arrivo.jpg

...for silver.
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    I've always struggled a bit with the concept that this is a world road race Cavendish could win - those who have ridden the course have suggested it's much tougher than it looks. Copenhagen's a far more sensible aim for Cav.

Also worth remembering that for once Britain had a full team of 9 riders last year in Mendrisio. This season GB are a lowly 15th. Only the top 10 teams get the full compliment of 9 riders.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Agree Stagehopper - AND I don't think GB can put together a convincing train at the moment. I think if Cav was seriously looking at winning this year, he'd need to get the chequebook out and buy a bit of help.

To be fair, I think Cav has even said Copenhagen is the one he'll go for.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    From what I gather, the RR course has Gilbert's name all over it but at the end of a long race anything can happen. Evans can count on home support. But Cav? He'd need a supreme team to lock the race down. Yet his lack of results this year, plus the possibility of Wiggins slipping down the rankings, could mean a smaller British team in October.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Don't forget the Italians. They love to give a good team showing at the Worlds.
    Showing
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • lloyd_bower
    lloyd_bower Posts: 664
    I'd have thought Wiggins wouldn't have much of a hope in the road race anyway, and would be racing for silver at best in the time trial (behind Cancellera).
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    I'm not trying to be glib here, but can someone actually tell me the last time Wiggo crossed the line first in a bike race (on the road and not a short TT)?

Turning to the thread, surely Wiggo would be a domestique for Cav..............or perhaps Downing might be a better bet, if it's a lumpy course with a kick at the end. Obviously nothing in it for him.
  • William H
    William H Posts: 61
    I'm not trying to be glib here, but can someone actually tell me the last time Wiggo crossed the line first in a bike race (on the road and not a short TT)?

He won a premier calendar event in britain just before the Tour de France last year. Otherwise, I don't think he got anything since the Tour d'Avenir..
  • pedro118118
    William H wrote:

He won a premier calendar event in britain just before the Tour de France last year. Otherwise, I don't think he got anything since the Tour d'Avenir..

If this is true, pretty slim pickings don't you think, given the hype?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    It's a course made for the Belgians...
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Kléber wrote:
    Apparently the flight is long so it's not worth the hassle...

...for silver.

It's a long way to India too! Is he riding track in Delhi, or TT/road?

It'll be interesting to see what the Australians do. World Champs on home turf, or Commonwealths?

Or will they do both considering the World Champs finish on 3rd Oct, and the Commonwealths start on the same day (not sure on cycling timetable though). Hang on, isn't India on the way home from Oz? :wink:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    William H wrote:

Before his Alpe D'huez win, Sastre had only won I think twice.

Doesn't mean he's not a classy rider.
  • William H
    William H Posts: 61
    William H wrote:

Quick addition: British TT Champs
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    William H wrote:

Sastre's achievements up until start of 2008:

8th Overall Vuelta a España
    1st Winner Mountains Classification

1st Stage 3, Vuelta a Burgos

10th Overall, Tour de France

9th Overall, Tour de France
    1st Stage 13

5th Overall, Vuelta a España
    8th Overall, Tour de France

1st Stage 1, Escalada a Montjuïc
    2nd Overall, Vuelta a España

1st Stage 5 TTT Giro d'Italia
    1st Klasika Primavera
    3rd Overall, Tour de France
    1st Stage 17
    4th Overall, Vuelta a España
    1st Stage 1 TTT
    Held Gold jersey from Prologue - Stage 1
    Held White jersey Combination Classification leader From Stages 8-16

2nd Overall, Vuelta a España
    4th Overall, Tour de France
  • pedro118118
    William H wrote:

Of course, I agree he's a very classy rider.
    The point I was making was that he doesn't win very much (for such a classy rider).
    Does a GT podium represent good value for money?
    That all said, he hope he proves his worth come July!
  • patchy
    patchy Posts: 779

Turning to the thread, surely Wiggo would be a domestique for Cav..............or perhaps Downing might be a better bet, if it's a lumpy course with a kick at the end. Obviously nothing in it for him.

don't forget the Sun Tour last autumn...
    point your handlebars towards the heavens and sweat like you're in hell
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Wiggins won the Sun Herald tour in Australia last October
    - did he win any stages though, or just the ITT ?
  • SpaceJunk wrote:

Sastre's achievements up until start of 2008:

1st Stage 3, Vuelta a Burgos
    1st Stage 13 TDF
    1st Stage 1, Escalada a Montjuïc
    1st Stage 5 TTT Giro d'Italia
    1st Klasika Primavera
    1st Stage 17 TDF

I count that as three wins, 1 late season hill climb, 1 team time trial, and 1 race where he was promoted to the victory
  • ynyswen24
    ynyswen24 Posts: 703
    Wiggins has no chances of doing anything at the worlds RR and the TT is Cancellara's.

He (and Sky) probably also realise that the UK media don't give a fig for the world championship but will cover him in glory for cruising past everyone at the commonwealth games. In terms of bangs for your buck the publicity from that blows the worlds out of the water.

Whether Cavendish can or cannot win the worlds in Australia (or Copenhagen) he'd also, I'm sure, admit the same.
  • I can't believe it's four years since a young whipper snapper from the IOM took the points/(scratch?) race in Melbourne. Crazy times.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Wasn't there some speculation not so long ago that Cancellara wasn't really interested in getting another TT title and was going to focus all his energy on the road race?
  • ynyswen24
    afx237vi wrote:
    Wasn't there some speculation not so long ago that Cancellara wasn't really interested in getting another TT title and was going to focus all his energy on the road race?

He wasn't that far off doing the double last year...
  • afx237vi
    ynyswen24 wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

He wasn't that far off doing the double last year...

Indeed, which might mean he thinks skipping the TT means he has a better chance at the RR.

I can't find the article I read, but he definitely suggested that entering the TT was not a certainty.
  • ynyswen24
    Nobody would argue that Cancellara wouldn't deserve the RR, he'd be a good and popular world champion
  • pedro118118
    andy_wrx wrote:

You're joking right?
    I seem to recall he won the ITT and (therefore) the overall.
    Is this really it, though? A stage win a few years ago at the Tour d'Avenir??
  • afx237vi
    andy_wrx wrote:

You're joking right?
    I seem to recall he won the ITT and (therefore) the overall.
    Is this really it, though? A stage win a few years ago at the Tour d'Avenir??

TT wins:

De Panne 2009
    Poitou Charentes 2007
    Dauphiné prologue 2007
    4 Days of Dunkirk 2007
    Circuit de Lorraine 2005
    Tour de l'Avenir prologue 2003

So yeah, his l'Avenir win in 2005 is the only time he's crossed the line with his arms in the air.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    ynyswen24 wrote:
    Wiggins has no chances of doing anything at the worlds RR and the TT is Cancellara's.

He (and Sky) probably also realise that the UK media don't give a fig for the world championship but will cover him in glory for cruising past everyone at the commonwealth games. In terms of bangs for your buck the publicity from that blows the worlds out of the water.

But would he cruise past everyone in the TT? Australia is in the Commonwealth, they have a few useful riders.

Plus only part of the UK media will give a toss - the English part. Other parts of the UK media will be focussing on the Welsh (Geraint Thomas), the Scots (David Millar?) and the Northern Irish (Hutch).
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    This comes up every few weeks. To be fair the bulk of his career has concentrated on the track and his road riding has been with a view to prologue / TT stages and possibly the GC in minor stage races. Most of his road racing before last season would have seen him very much as a domestique. That said I'd like to see him attack occassionally late on and see if he could pursuit his way to the line. His problem seems to be that he doesn't have the power of a Canc / Boonen, isn't a sprinter and doesn't have the sort of kick to win in the hills so although he is overall a very talented rider and possible GC podium candidate his chances of winning one day races or road stages rest on a chance break paying off.