2010 Marin Indian Fire Trail

ctrlaltdel
ctrlaltdel Posts: 114
edited September 2011 in Your mountain bikes
I've had this bike for about 5 months now, and it's been an absolute stunner to ride. My previous bike was also an indian fire trail, which I got in '99, and after ten years of riding the frame started to show some worrisome stress marks going from the top tube to the head tube: Gutting, but at least I got my money's worth out of it!
The new bike's a real step up though, especially in terms of maneuverabilty through the twisty stuff...
marinift.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Comments

• rgarner
    rgarner Posts: 77
    Very nice! I managed to get a 2009 model from J E James for a nice end-of-season price. Bizarrely it came with Maxxis High Rollers rather than the stock WTB Prowlers. Found the High Rollers very nervous in a 2.1 so got JEJ to swap them out for the stock WTBs and all has since been good (cheers Scott!)

I do find the gloss finish very susceptible to chips and such like, though, and a chainstay protector's an absolute must even though it's tricky to fit with the boxy curvy bits and the cable run obstructing it a bit. Should probably cut it to length.

Also found the Hayes Stroker Carbons can be quite noisy if left to their own devices - I've experienced the "bubbling" that others talk about at both front and rear. Bit of Fenwick's helps but doesn't eliminate it.

Couldn't believe how fast I seemed to become when I got this bike. You put the hammer down and it just flies - feels nearly as light as carbon. My Super 4's been gathering dust...
  • ctrlaltdel
    Glad you like your IFT too! I've had some similar experiences with my marin - it came with conti speed king tires, which rolled well but were absolute pants for any gloopy mud that the typical uk rider encounters. Agreed about the paint too - seems very soft to me.
    I've never had any problems with the hayes discs though. The only thing i've had to do to them is frequent pad replacements, which is par for the course for the sort of sandy particulate mud that's common where I usually go ride.
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    great xc bike there. looks very nice
  • ctrlaltdel
    Found a proper camera (ie not a grainy camera phone...), and thought i'd take a few better quality photos:
    ift3.jpg
    ift1.jpg
    ift2.jpg
  • The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    Very nice, had one myself, awesome to ride 8)
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    Very Nice, got an 07 one myself (built up with load of other bits) and it's awesome, same bars as you too, great choice!
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • BigAirNig
    BigAirNig Posts: 296
    Nice ride - I have the American Classic wheels to .... lovely and light!
    Rocky Mountain Altitude 50 (+ upgrades.....!)
  • ctrlaltdel
    MAJOR SUCKAGE!
    Was just looking at one of the photos I posted earlier and noticed a black line on the headtube. It's a hairline crack. :x
    I weigh just over ten stone and don't do anything extreme. How the hell could this happen? :(:(:(:(:(
    It's my pride and joy and was looking forward to keeping it going for years just like my old marin IFT.
  • The Big Cheese
    ctrlaltdel wrote:
    MAJOR SUCKAGE!
    Was just looking at one of the photos I posted earlier and noticed a black line on the headtube. It's a hairline crack. :x
    I weigh just over ten stone and don't do anything extreme. How the hell could this happen? :(:(:(:(:(
    It's my pride and joy and was looking forward to keeping it going for years just like my old marin IFT.

Well, thats now the 2nd IFT that has failed around the headtube recently ..... that I have heard of at least :? :cry:

However you have a lifetime warranty on the frame so it's not all bad and now you'll get a brand new replacement..... :wink:
  • ctrlaltdel
    any idea of how long it takes to deliver a replacement frame? I waited nearly 3 months for this bike because of their popularity, and i'll be damned if I have to wait another 3 :(
  • The Big Cheese
    ctrlaltdel wrote:
    any idea of how long it takes to deliver a replacement frame? I waited nearly 3 months for this bike because of their popularity, and i'll be damned if I have to wait another 3 :(

All depends on stock levels on the UK... ATB sales (UK distributor) are normally pretty good/quick. I doubt you'll have to wait another 3 months..... *hopfully*
  • ctrlaltdel
    Thanks, TheBigCheese. I guess i'll be taking it back to the shop tomorrow if I can get back from work in time.
  • Hi,, we are on it like donkey kong.. I will be speaking to ATB sales tomorrow and getting it sorted pronto. I will use your photo if that is ok :D

Cheers
    Gary
    Zone Cycle Centre
  • ctrlaltdel
    Sure you can use that photo, cheers Gary :)
  • Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but last week I found another crack in my replacement frame, again in the head tube. I'm really glad I caught it because I was about to go on a mountain biking holiday and since the crack had extended to the welds at the head/down tube junction it may have failed when I was in the middle of nowhere.

Does anyone know of anyone who rides 2010/11 indian fire trails and had similar problems? A poster above mentioned someone he knew with a similar problem, so I'm thinking this looks more like a design/production defect, especially since I only do XC and don't weigh much.
    I'm also a little uncertain about getting the frame replaced again when the previous two have already failed.
    I can't take it back to the shop I bought it from because it is unfortunately out of business. I've emailed atb sales but not got a response yet, but I'm wondering how likely it is that I could get a replacement frame of equivalent value, just not of the same flawed design.
    I'm just really disappointed by all this really.
  • I had a 1996 one! Polished Alu finish
    Was a great bike
    This one looks smart
    Saracen Kili Flyer TI