Question about short liners

hard-rider
hard-rider Posts: 460
edited April 2010 in MTB beginners
A bit of a daft question but I'll ask anyway. :oops:

Are the liners for MTB shorts meant to be worn with underpants or without? :roll:
How would the butt padding feel on naked skin during a long ride?

Comments

• hoochylala
    hoochylala Posts: 987
    Some people do, some people dont - personal choice :shock:

For those who dont, chamois is the answer, for example;

udderly-chamois-crm-zoom.jpg

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Udder ... 360036098/
  • hard-rider
    So that's that that cream is for :idea:

Personally I wear underpants under my liners but thought that I may be wrong. I think I'll continue as I am :lol:
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Well you arent supposed to wear undies under your padded liner. They are supposed to take the place of undies but there isnt anything stopping you wearing 2 pairs of undies.

The thought of sweaty undies jammed in the crack after 3 hours riding isnt nice.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • hard-rider
    [quote="stubs"The thought of sweaty undies jammed in the crack after 3 hours riding isn't nice.[/quote]I thought the thought of sitting on a wet pad isn't nice either hence me using undies. I guess I'll have to give it a try and see.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    The pad in the liner wicks the sweat away from your bum. Stops you getting a soggy crack.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Miggins
    Miggins Posts: 433
    stubs wrote:
    The pad in the liner wicks the sweat away from your bum. Stops you getting a soggy crack.

Nice. True though. Wearing pants and liners would be far too warm. And you'd end up with...errr...as Stubs says - a soggy crack ack.gif
    After uphill there's downhill
  • kaytronika
    kaytronika Posts: 580
    *backs slowly out of thread*

:shock:

No undies for me, for the record.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • cmm303
    cmm303 Posts: 59
    Miggins wrote:
    Nice. True though. Wearing pants and liners would be far too warm. And you'd end up with...errr...as Stubs says - a soggy crack ack.gif

Good wicking pants can be bought from any serious outdoor / mountaineering shop, for a price. A much overlooked part of technical base layering for the serious hiker. Never tried it cycling though where the padded cycling shorts go straight on.
    ChrisM
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Yep - definitely wear the padded shorts without undies :D

All sorts of nasty chaffing will occur otherwise!! :shock:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • hard-rider
    LOL when I started this thread I didn't think it would become a discussion about sweaty cracks.

For the record, I use 'sport' undies that have moisture control and supposedly wick moisture away but as I've only had my bike for a month and have only had two 10km rides (been away on business for two weeks) I can't say how well they work.

I just never thought of using the liners bare until I came across riding undies wjich looked like normal baggy cycling short liners.
  • starsky007
    starsky007 Posts: 185
    After 30 miles or so in the saddle, you will find you shouldnt of wore your sweaty undies aswell :oops: your arse sweats like hell and hurts your bum like mad :oops: ,,, slap on the cream and then under liner :D you will find it more comfy cooler and less sweaty. :D
    nice new giant trance 3
    also ht coyote
    s-works epic 2008.
  • zedhead
    zedhead Posts: 109
    What a horrid subject... but only cos most of you are blokes...

For what it's worth, I have 'microfibre' boxer shorts which are seamless and wick away any moisture nicely. they were cheap too, a tenner for 4 pairs from a motorcycle show a couple of months ago.
    Early Orange 5, Felt Z85, Scott Thicko, modified Giant full suss (both nicked)- beat-up single-speed rigid 1992 Saracen (scrapped), and various 2-wheelers with big engines