Anyone had this

Dazzza
Dazzza Posts: 2,364
edited April 2010 in MTB general
We all from time to time have had the dreaded squeak you know the sort, the one you can never find no matter what.

Mine was always when i put the hammer down so i always assumed it was the bb and lubing that area would quieten it for 2-3 rides.

Well today i finally sussed it, a tiny bit of grit on the inside of the seat tube. :evil:

One finger along the split and the bike was quiet as a lamb for the whole ride.

Anyone had anything similar be the bane of their biking life?
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
Giant Anthem X

Comments

• Yeah seatpin is often first thing to check if you have a creak.

Had that on my old bike... in fact you can see the seat tube bend when pedalling if you look down.

Also had a pedal squeak. 2 sets of pedals... Set 1 would creak in the MTB but not the roadbike, Set 2 would not creak in either. Looked daft with big flats on road bike, and dinky SPDs on MTB. Turned out to be grit on pedal/crankarm threads. Clean it all out, grease and put pedals back, and no more creaking.
    Andy - The Expat Cyclist in Germany
    '07/'08 Cotic Soul
    '96 Scott Vail
    '89 Ridgeback Rapide 105
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Had an annoying ticking sound but only when in a particular chainring. Turned out to be the end of the cable catching a pedal. Another one was a nasty griding noise from the fornt mech. Again didn't do it when I went searching for it, only did it in a certain gear combo with the suspension compressed, slight adjust to the mech position and it went.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result