Bruised ribs, ouch. Am I a wimp?

tubaonwheels
tubaonwheels Posts: 448
Had a nasty fall in the Peaks on Saturday, all the cuts and grazes are fading now but the ribs! Hardly any improvement, went to docs yesterday, no breaks and no damage to lungs, just bad bruising. Sleeping is terrible, most nights I end up getting up (painfully) and sleeping on the settee as lying flat comfortably is impossible.
I've decided to stay off work for the week (its a physical job so no alternative really), also happy to stay off bike for a week as I have been hammering the training a bit. But I hope it starts to improve soon...got a weekend at Glentress coming up at end of month, hope I will at least be able to have a steady ride :(

Anyone else got experience with this problem?

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    I would say GWS but it'll be 4 weeks min. Stay away from anyone with a cough/cold in the meantime.
  • GWS?
    Edit - ahh, penny's dropped, thanks mate, not what I was hoping to hear but half expecting it as it don't feel like it's gonna go away quickly :(
    Thing is half the time it all feels fine, movement not too restricted etc. but I know what you mean about colds, I can't even blow my nose properly and dare'nt cough or sneeze.
    I'm gonna have to try an easy ride soon - going out fo my head stuck in house while the sun's shining :evil:
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    It'll be 6 weeks :?

I cracked and badly bruised a rib a few years ago and was told this... I obviously though RUBBISH and tried to do stuff a lot sooner, but it really does take about 6 weeks to sort itself out!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • asdfhjkl
    asdfhjkl Posts: 333
    Unlucky - I hope you recover quickly! I'd really recommend that you avoid riding, though. These things take time, and you don't want to hinder that. There's nothing to speed it up unfortunately, you just have to let your body do its thing. Like has been said already - you could be anywhere from a month to about 6 weeks.
  • The good thing is I have'nt actually cracked a rib, I have been out for a ride today (nice and steady) and to be honest it did'nt feel any more uncomfortable than moving/sitting around the house. I kept away from any rough stuff and did'nt attack the hills, got back a couple of hours ago and no after effects. I'll be happy if I can tick over with steady rides, especially in this weather.
    I'm a bit more concerned about starting back at work on Monday and how that affects me.
  • patj
    patj Posts: 1
    Get some antiinflamatories and mild painkillers, I had some badly bruised ribs and after suffering a few sleepless nights I eventually went to the doc. and got the above.
    I was back on the bike a week later and apart from avoiding the really rough stuff I was able to ride all my usual terrain without any probs.
    Another thing that will help is an epsom salt bath,great for aches and pains after a tough ride.
    Hope you feel better soon.

Pat
  • Cheers Pat, I have been on anti flim flams and painkillers from day one, also having a couple of soaks in bath each day - will try epsom salts if I can get hold of some.
  • turpinr
    turpinr Posts: 255
    Had a nasty fall in the Peaks on Saturday, all the cuts and grazes are fading now but the ribs! Hardly any improvement, went to docs yesterday, no breaks and no damage to lungs, just bad bruising. Sleeping is terrible, most nights I end up getting up (painfully) and sleeping on the settee as lying flat comfortably is impossible.
    I've decided to stay off work for the week (its a physical job so no alternative really), also happy to stay off bike for a week as I have been hammering the training a bit. But I hope it starts to improve soon...got a weekend at Glentress coming up at end of month, hope I will at least be able to have a steady ride :(

Anyone else got experience with this problem?
    how do you know your ribs aren't cracked or broken??
    when i damaged mine 7 weeks ago they didn't X-RAY them but from past experience i knew they were broken.i slept in a chair for 4 nights and had to take 2 weeks off work.mines a physical job too and can still feel them when i get up in the morning.
    good luck
  • 10-15 % of rib fractures dont show up on x-rays. Tend only to do x-rays when your worried about underlying injuries. So you could have broken ribs. will take about 6 weeks for the pain to go away completely.
  • I suppose I don't 'know' they aren't broken, however, whether they are broken or not doesn't seem to affect treatment too much. I have now returned to sleeping in bed and am fairly 'comfy' laid on my right, and have a couple of extra pillows. So I do see an improvement already.
    Yesterday I went for quite a long ride and to be honest didn't feel any more uncomfortable on bike than sitting/walking around the house! Tried to keep out of saddle over any bumpy stuff and generally kept it pretty steady. I decided to wash the van in the afternoon and that left me a bit sore, so a bit wary of starting work in the morning, will just try and take it as carefully as possible :?
  • or 7 weeks as turpinr.
  • asdfhjkl
    asdfhjkl Posts: 333
    I'd still recommend you take a break from riding for a bit longer. Don't be stupid when it comes to rib injuries. Just my opinion.
  • gs3
    gs3 Posts: 249
    tubaonwheels

Had a similar thing myself at the end of last year where I stupidly used my ribcage as a brake from about 20-0mph off-road but didn't break anything. I managed to 'spring' my ribs at each end (cartilage etc). Even though, it was still about 4 weeks before I fully recovered. Seemed to be really uncomfortable for about 2 weeks then suddenly felt okay but waited another couple of weeks before heading onto the trails again. I did set the bike onto a turbo trainer during the recovery period which meant I didn't lose too much of the cycle fitness. Just take it easy until all is well then wait just a little longer - no point in rushing it and prolonging the injury.

Hope all goes well.

• Cheers guys, I do appreciate all the advice and best wishes. My intention is to try and limit any biking to steady road stuff as much as poss. I feel a bit sore again today after driving to my mums and back (90mile round trip), changing gears is a bit uncomfortable.

Taking the red wine treatment at present :)
  • Iwingstein
    Iwingstein Posts: 111
    Landed (on a rock) on my ribs on right side after jumping a stream. Stream was in bog so thought I'd have a soft landing (step mother reckons I broke something - she's a physio so has quite a good idea what she's talking about).

Anyway, it was without doubt the most painful few weeks I've ever had - couldn't even lie down for the first week and had to sleep sitting in an armchair.

Bear in mind I was on holiday - "no we don't xray for ribs, as there is nothing we can do"

Really, I'm on holiday and want to do stuff, so if it's bruising give me painkillers so I can enjoy holiday, if there's a break I'll sit and do nowt for a week (but I'll still have the painkillers). Who do these people think pays their wages. Aaarggghhhhh :D

Still had discomnfort 6 months later though now fine.

You have my sympathy.
  • tubaonwheels
    tubaonwheels Posts: 448
    Quick update: nearly 3 weeks now and starting to feel better, the first week was bad, 2nd week I went back to work, that was painfull. Funnily enough biking really is not a problem as long as I keep it fairly sensible. Managed a great weekends riding up at Glentress and Innerleithen last weekend and felt none the worse for it.
    Work is starting to feel easier this week, some things are still a bit painfull to do but definately getting easier. Sleeping is not quite as bad but still find it uncomfortable to lie on my side (either side) and usually feel a bit stiff in the mornings - but thats not too bad a thing :lol:
  • Frodo1095
    Frodo1095 Posts: 252
    Glad to see you are feeling better, I bruised my ribs last year and I was out of riding for 2 mths.
    Just take it steady and try not to fall on them again :D
  • I came off at Llandegla about 9 weeks ago and did my ribs (left) and left shoulder.
    Both are still a bit iffy......... :shock:
    The hardest part is trying to breathe heavy on a steep climb!!
    Oh.. and the other hard parts are no sneezing/coughing/laughing and trying to sleep!
    This is the third time I've done my ribs! You have a huge fear of landing on em again whilst still sore lol!
    Time is defo a good healer :wink:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Fractured a floating rib years ago, it hurt like hell. Took ages to heal - about 6 weeks sounds about right.
    Annoyingly, all my "friends" took great humour in trying to make me laugh, buggers.