Case against Radios: ROUBAIX

frenchfighter
frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
edited April 2010 in Pro race
Cancellara was directed to attack by Riis via radio. Had he not had the radio's benefits, the race would likely have been different.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/riis-re ... aix-attack

Cancellara definitely had the legs and would have likely taken the win anyway, but the dynamic of the race was directly impacted.
Contador is the Greatest

Comments

• afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    If Boonen hadn't been drinking a can of coke and freewheeling, he would have been able to follow Cancellara's attack. BAN COKE!!!
  • afx237vi wrote:
    If Boonen hadn't been drinking a can of coke and freewheeling, he would have been able to follow Cancellara's attack. BAN COKE!!!

If Riis didn't do what he did in order to wint he Tour de France in 1996, he might not have been a DS for a Danish team that would enable him to direct Fabian to win PCM-style. BAN EPO!!!!
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    afx237vi wrote:

:lol:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    afx237vi wrote:

Isn't the point it'd be nice to have Cancellara making the smart observation that Boonen was at the back having a coca cola, rather than the camera crew beaming pictures into Riis's car?

Not that I am for the ban, but I think you're picking on the argument because of the poster, rather than because of the argument.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    afx237vi wrote:

Isn't the point it'd be nice to have Cancellara making the smart observation that Boonen was at the back having a coca cola, rather than the camera crew beaming pictures into Riis's car?

Not that I am for the ban, but I think you're picking on the argument because of the poster, rather than because of the argument.

I was being flippant, sure, but I do think the importance of radios is sometimes over-exaggerated. So Riis saw that Boonen was slacking and passed the info onto Fabian... Fabian still had to turn the pedals and attack by himself from 50 km out.

People say that race radios make the racing negative, and now they're complaining that a DS told his rider to attack? Race radios are just another variable... like what tyres you use, what the weather is or what a rider ate for breakfast that morning.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    There have been instances when a DS has told a rider to attack in the days when there were no radios. Legendary French DS Cyrille Guimard often did this via a roof-mounted megaphone, but using code language or by beeping the horn.

Radios only allow more of this, a DS can follow the race on TV and play it like a videogame. But it was Boonen's error and he should not have dropped his guard.
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    And there was me thinking afx was referring to boonen's out of competition habits....
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Kléber wrote:
    There have been instances when a DS has told a rider to attack in the days when there were no radios. Legendary French DS Cyrille Guimard often did this via a roof-mounted megaphone, but using code language or by beeping the horn.

Radios only allow more of this, a DS can follow the race on TV and play it like a videogame. But it was Boonen's error and he should not have dropped his guard.

+1
    Boonen rode like a novice more than once in this years Roubaix - and that was with an earpiece.

Take the TVs out of the DS cars instead.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Take out the TV's and ban radios and let the team leader make decisions on the road, much better racing if they only get the times on the motorbikes, or maybe even take that away :D Then you would definately get more agressive racing as breakways would have more of a chance of staying away, bit would then be much harder to break away in the first place .
  • rick_chasey
    LangerDan wrote:

Boonen rode like a novice more than once in this years Roubaix - and that was with an earpiece.

When?

He rode it pretty much the same as last year up untill Cancellara attacked. And let's be honest, Cancellara made everyone look stupid.
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    it was obvious on the day that he got word from the car to put the hammer down.

Is that Vino in your Avatar FF ??? Is he now on your list of favoured riders following his win at the weekend ??
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    LangerDan wrote:

When?

He rode it pretty much the same as last year up untill Cancellara attacked. And let's be honest, Cancellara made everyone look stupid.

I don't think Boonen was the same rider as last year, though. This year he made how many unsuccesful suges between 70km and 60km to go? In 2009, he was able to just diesel off the front on the cobbles - this year most of his rivals had no difficulty staying with him. If the tactic isn't working, then using it repeatedly probably won't help matters.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • frenchfighter
    pat1cp wrote:
    Is that Vino in your Avatar FF ??? Is he now on your list of favoured riders following his win at the weekend ??

I've liked him for a long time.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    pat1cp wrote:

I thought the bromance had ended last year?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    iainf72 wrote:
    pat1cp wrote:

Brilliant stuff there Iain.

That said, FF posted his thoughts in October last year. Maybe that's a long time??
  • frenchfighter
    Haha, nice one to remember that. To qualify, before his ban I enjoyed watching him race a lot. Last year I guess I was a little hasty to condem his form and he annoyed me with his comments especially regarding Contador.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Fabian was actually pretty close to Boonen a few moments before the attack. You can see him look round at him on the TV footage. But whatever, ban the buggers!! :lol:
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Haha, nice one to remember that. To qualify, before his ban I enjoyed watching him race a lot. Last year I guess I was a little hasty to condem his form and he annoyed me with his comments especially regarding Contador.

That was a classic thread that one it had a bit of everything from FF in there from woeful cycling knowledge to laughable internet boasting. Now he explains it away by saying he was annoyed by Vino's comment about his lovechild :lol:
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    iainf72 wrote:
    pat1cp wrote:

lol...nice one. FF , say what you meanand mean what you say. Just stirring up fights is trolling. If you don't like Vino, stay with that position.
  • dave_1
    maybe an Avatar should be removed FF?
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    What an embarrassment.
    I never realised that anybody actually took any notice of FF's ramblings,
    but I'm glad Iain has stayed awake! :P
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • frenchfighter
    Dave_1 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    pat1cp wrote:

lol...nice one. FF , say what you meanand mean what you say. Just stirring up fights is trolling. If you don't like Vino, stay with that position.

Haha. Maybe if I showed you some photos I have of him in my collection from way back then you would believe me. As for fights...............long, long way off the mark there I'm afraid. Maybe you should look to your friends and maybe yourself to see examples of members who not only start issues but positively enjoy them.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Dave_1 wrote:

Not at all. I like this one for the moment. I can get a great one of Monsieur Citron though.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dave_1
    Dave_1 wrote:

Not at all. I like this one for the moment. I can get a great one of Monsieur Citron though.

you're a teenage troll..it was the Maillot Citron Fignon won for http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gDXGJK7b4g , but I will never speak so badly of my cycling heros esp when so unlucky, you have no such allegiance...just whatever will stir up a fight by the looks of it
  • frenchfighter
    Oh, nasty behaviour from Sunnyboy. Glad you have heros and will stick by them no matter what...I don't buy into that hero stuff in sport or otherwise.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dave_1
    Oh, nasty behaviour from Sunnyboy. Glad you have heros and will stick by them no matter what...I don't buy into that hero stuff in sport or otherwise.

you're fickle, you'll sing the praises of whoever the winner is that weekend...you're as shallow as the person who supports the winning football team just cause they are winning.
  • rick_chasey
    Dave_1 wrote:

you're a teenage troll.

Why are you still arguing then?