Oops! I did it again!

Johnny Napalm
Johnny Napalm Posts: 1,458
edited April 2010 in MTB general
I built a bike in Feb, and then swore I wasn't spending anymore money on bikes this year. However, I have just thrown this together today. Unfortunately though, the brakes I got today (Clarks S2) have been an expensive mistake. I bought them from Ebay (great service from the seller, as I only ordered them yesterday), but the levers do not adjust far enough inwards to get a suitable reach. Granted I only have small hands, but I have never known brake levers that adjust so poorly. I went for a ride this afternoon, but they just aren't comfortable. It's £90 down the drain, but I hope that I will be able to recoup some of that back by sticking them on Ebay. The sad thing is, first impressions suggest that they are decent brakes for the money, but I just can't bloody reach the levers comfortably. I just wish I hadn't bothered! :cry:

CIMG5009S.jpg

CIMG5011S.jpg
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Marin
SS Inbred
Mongoose Teocali Super

Comments

• RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    I built a bike in Feb, and then swore I wasn't spending anymore money on bikes this year.

Yeah, that was going to happen, lol.

Does the chain stay on without any chain guide?

And I can't help but think, what's the point of that bike? As in, what riding would you be doing to make you pick that over the marin or the SS?
  • Johnny Napalm
    It's a bit of a cheap play bike, to be honest, thrown together with a lot of spares that I have. And, no, the chain doesn't stay on without a guide, but the guide that I have (Superstar Laser) will not set-up right. No matter what I do, the chain catches on the guide either way. I will probably run it as a double.

I was going to build the wife a bike next, but she's been eyeing up this one. I could let her have it, but she'll have the same problem with the brake levers as I have.
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • RealMan
    Nice colour at least :D
  • Johnny Napalm
    Nice colour at least

It is quite bright! 8)

The wife was razzing around the roads on it last night, so I may have lost it! :cry:
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • RealMan
    That didn't take long lol
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,862
    if she gets this one, it means the next build can be more expensive
  • Johnny Napalm
    That didn't take long lol

I know! I said that she could have it, but when I woke up this morning I want it back! :?
    if she gets this one, it means the next build can be more expensive

Don't! I've been out his morning around Wharncliffe, and I was thinking that perhaps another build could be warranted! :?

I want to try and fit the Superstar chain device to it, but I can't set it up correctly. Should a chain device have any chain run at all on a 1x9 set-up? I would imagine not, but there isn't a lot of space in the chain guide, so I would imagine that should you use any of the top/bottom two gears rubbing is inevitable.[/quote]
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • My chain guide used to catch however I fitted it now it has purpose built groves in it :-D
    I use all 9 inches.

Sabrina
  • Johnny Napalm
    My chain guide used to catch however I fitted it now it has purpose built groves in it

Yeah, I think mine (sorry, the wife's) will too. I've just done a bit of faffing and it seems to fit much better now though...hardly catches at all! :D

CIMG5016S.jpg
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • Yeah anyway metal beats plastic every time so no hassles lol.

I must have spent best part of a day playing with it, adjusting crank arms on the spindal trying to get it perfect but no joy, in the end I thought meh the chain will just grove out anyway lol

Although when Im in granny rings it sounds awfull lol.

But hey some bikes object to becoming 9 speeders lol
    I use all 9 inches.

Sabrina
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    Looks good Johnny. What you building next? :wink:
    I had the same problem with my lazer... just did as Bill said... i just set it so it rubs in the gear i use the least - win :D
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • Johnny Napalm
    Cheers, Torres.

I now intend to keep away from any signifcant bike-related purchases for the remainder of this year!
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super