Whye 901 **New Pics****

wilkij1975
wilkij1975 Posts: 531
edited November 2010 in Your mountain bikes
Hi All

Just thought i'd put a few pictures of the shiney new Whyte that turned up a few days ago. Its standard at the moment but will up-grade gradually as money comes in. I have just gone the long way home from work and first impressions are good and it feels much more solid than my ScandAl.

DSCN0526.jpg

DSCN0527.jpg

DSCN0528.jpg

DSCN0529.jpg

I'll post the spec up later when i,ve had my tea.

Cheers All

Comments

• Stoo61
    Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
    That frame is gorgeous. Is it like a matt dark gun metal or is it just the light?
  • wilkij1975
    Yes it is. Officially its satin black.
  • Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    Nice whyte, they do make some beautiful bikes, even if I say so myself...

Lovely frame, great spec too.
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • supercyril
    supercyril Posts: 201
    Excellent, i now think we have enough to start a Whyte Supremacy group!
  • Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    supercyril wrote:

:lol::lol:

Saw a 901 at healey nab today...very good lookin'.
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • wilkij1975
    Well its been a couple of months now with the Whyte and I must say its everything I wanted and expected. It climbs well goes down what little hill we have in Suffolk well and is alround a very comfortable and enjoyable bike.

Got a few upgrades planned. I couldn't get on with the Sram after being a Shimano man all my riding life so will be swapping that out for XT shifters, rear mech and SLX front mech. Also have some new wheels coming. Hope Pro 2's in red with mavic 719 rims. I'll get it all changed and piccies up when done.
  • Kubase
    Kubase Posts: 17
    Very nice, just like mine. :D

A tip though - put some patches where your cables touch the head tube, I rubbed the paint off mine.
  • ExeterSimon
    ExeterSimon Posts: 830
    supercyril wrote:

I'm in!

If those pesky Orange owners can have a group so can we!
    Whyte 905 (2009)
    Trek 1.5 (2009)
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (2007)
  • wilkij1975
    Orange owners have a group?!?

We definately need one.
  • wilkij1975
    Kubase wrote:
    Very nice, just like mine. :D

A tip though - put some patches where your cables touch the head tube, I rubbed the paint off mine.

Yeah I have. I helitaped it and on the down tube. Only thing is it looks shiny against the satin paint finish and stands out a bit. Rather that than loads of chips and rubs I suppose!
  • wilkij1975
    Just a few pictures now I've changed what I wanted to. Swapped out the Sram stuff for XT shifters and rear mech and an SLX front mech. Also got some red Hope Pro 2's with Mavic XM719 rims that have made a real difference. Put a Nobby Nic Double Defence on the front and one of my old Spesh Fast Trak Armadillo's on the back.

DSCN0626.jpg

DSCN0624.jpg

DSCN0625.jpg

DSCN0627.jpg

DSCN0628.jpg

Will change the finishing kit next when the summer is up. Not sure what to get but I'm sure i'll come up with something.
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Very cool mate.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,164
    Have to say I have a soft spot for Whytes. Like that :)

Good kit if they are putting Nobby Nics on as standard.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • wilkij1975
    Had Mountain Kings as standard. I put the Nobby on myself. To be honest, the 901 spec isn't that impresive but I just loved the frame so had to have one.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,164
    wilkij1975 wrote:
    Had Mountain Kings as standard. I put the Nobby on myself. To be honest, the 901 spec isn't that impresive but I just loved the frame so had to have one.
    Good strategy - decent frame is key and you can always upgrade the bits later.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • wilkij1975
    Yeah, I thought about getting the 905 but didn't think the bits on it were worth the extra and I prefered the look of the 901. I've upgraded to the bits that I want and its cost less than the 905 would have (just 8) )
  • Ste23
    Ste23 Posts: 17
    Hi wilkij1975,

I'm about to buy the 2011 901 which seems to be the same as the 2010 except with a much less attractive paint job.

Just wondering how yours is holding up?

Ste
    2005 Santa Cruz Heckler
  • Ste23
    Hi wilkij1975,

I'm about to buy the 2011 901 which seems to be the same as the 2010 except with a much less attractive paint job.

Just wondering how yours is holding up?

Ste
    2005 Santa Cruz Heckler
  • j96_2
    j96_2 Posts: 188
    YUM :D
  • Hi Ste

Its going very well and holding up to my not in-considerable 16 stone admirably. I haven't done any really big stuff on it, mainly just the trail centre at Thetford and the local trails but it always puts a smile on my face when I ride it. I think the up-grades I did have helped a great deal too and got to the standard of the 905 for slightly less cash (just 8) )

I know what you mean about the new paint job. I'm not quite sure of the spec but from memory it is on a par with this years.

I would definately recomend them.
  • Oh yeah, I have an XT chainset on the way so will post another couple of pics soon.
  • That's lovely, I've also got a soft spot for Whytes, very nice looking bikes.
  • Ste23
    Cheers Wilki

I ordered the bike a couple days ago, going to take 1 or 2 weeks to get to me. looking forward to trying it out. Wouldn't mind making a few upgrades like you to shave a couple pounds off as this is supposed to be my light bike. heckler is built to 36lbs.

Dont know what they were thinking about the paint job but I've been riding bikes long enough to know that doesn't matter a damn. (I reserve the right to take photos of it and stick them up when it arrives)

The frame does look slightly different with the down and top tubes joining in the weld at the head tube on the 2011, but that might just be the small or medium frames.

Cheers for the reply.
    Ste
    2005 Santa Cruz Heckler
  • Well, you won't be dissapointed with it. I think the frame is the same its just the small sizes that the top and down tube touch.

As for the paint, it still looks good. I'm a red annodized man though so this years colour was much better for me. I think the 2011 would benefit from some green spangly bits myself :lol:
  • Just a couple of new pics with the XT chainset fitted. I thought i'd get an NC-17 red anodized bolt, too, just for a bit of bling. The bike is covered in muck in the pictures and please try to ignore the awful looking mudguards (as I am :P ).

DSCN1516.jpg

DSCN1514.jpg

DSCN1515.jpg
  • very nice, good to see it muddy :)