warranty question

im first to die
im first to die Posts: 224
edited April 2010 in MTB general
here is my problem i got a new bike in september from pauls cycles a GT Force3 2008 every thing was fine untill lastnight i went to check the front fork presure and when i conected my shock pump a load of grey slime came out so rang pauls cycles to see what could be done and they told me they need a service every 20 hours use and when asked how much was told £70ish and would not be covered by warranty how can some thing thats not even 12 month old not be covered under warranty when the manual says 2 years waranty i have not been out that much due to surgery only been out about 15 hours of xc no hardcore stuff (im a big wimp) how can they say you need to spend £70 every 4 month or so i think they are taking the p**s any help please
if i had my time again would i take the time to make the right choices

naa thats no fun

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    and breath :wink:
  • sorry just realy p**sed off :x

naa thats no fun
  • does anyone think i have a claim on warranty :?:

naa thats no fun
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    A service every 20 hours use? That's complete bullshit, take it into the shop and give them a bloody earful.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • heez29
    heez29 Posts: 612
    ilovedirt wrote:
    A service every 20 hours use? That's complete bullshit, take it into the shop and give them a bloody earful.

Don't give them an earful whatever you do. Just go in with the bike and say you haven't read any of this 'service every 20hrs'. Make sure the bike is clean before you go in aswell.
  • i would go and push the forks up there ar*e but i live in north yorkshire and the shop is about a 4 hour drive away am very tempted :twisted:
    might try again tomorrow see if i get some one esle that is more helpfull :wink:

naa thats no fun
  • asdfhjkl
    asdfhjkl Posts: 333
    ilovedirt wrote:

Ridiculous, isn't it? Some fork manufacturers really take the p*ss with service intervals. The SRAM site says the seals on Rockshox forks need serviced every 10 hours, and Fox's site says every 25 hours for theirs. 10 hours isn't even a weeks riding for me. I know how to service my forks, but certainly couldn't be bothered to do it that often. :roll:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Do the forks still work?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    grey slime?

you mean oil?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • short answer no
    long answer getting about 20mm travel with them wound down should be 100mm and about 40mm when wound out should be 140mm

naa thats no fun
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    and the forks are?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • forks are marzocchi xc600 ata2 the grey slime seems to be a mixture of oil air and water i think
    am i right in thinking there should not be oil in the air chamber anyway is it the seals that have failed

naa thats no fun
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It might be just some stuff that was in the chamber that has been dislodged. Use the fork. If in doubt, have it serviced.

It might be nothing, I have seen loads of forks do this.

You have had the fork half a year or more, may need a service.