My poor shins.

bbug
bbug Posts: 83
edited May 2010 in MTB beginners
As the title says, they get a battering every time I go out. It's not as though I fall off (much) or anything. They just seem to catch on the pedals whenever.

I know could do with some sort of shin guard, but I don't want one of those hard plasticky things that look like old armour plate painted black. Is there some sort of woolly/rubbery thing i can get so my legs don't look like I've been caught in a bear trap.

Ta

Comments

• mf5
    mf5 Posts: 207
    You could go clipless, then your feet can't slip off the pedals- which is good news for the shins!
  • lesz42
    lesz42 Posts: 690
    shin guards? like foot ballers wear? or armour called veg skins i think
    Giant Trance X0 (08) Reverb, Hope Hoops 5.1D, XT brakes, RQ BC, Works Components headset 1.5
  • sh4z77
    sh4z77 Posts: 15
    suck it up son! chicks dig scars!!!!!!
  • kaytronika
    kaytronika Posts: 580
    Rubber? You could cycle in wellies I suppose. :P
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • phoebian
    phoebian Posts: 497
    I use 661 veggie shin guards, they are fabric with armor inside. Have a couple of little rips in where they have caught the peddles. Glad they were on!
  • bbug
    sh4z77 wrote:
    suck it up son! chicks dig scars!!!!!!

:lol: Not on my 61 year-old legs they won't!
  • bbug
    mf5 wrote:
    You could go clipless, then your feet can't slip off the pedals- which is good news for the shins!

I already use clipless pedals, well half clipless anyway -- one side clipless, one side flat. I can't honestly say when my skin comes off. I don't notice it at the time, it's just that when I've finished a ride, there they are. It's a mystery. Maybe there's a shin-fairy that sticks them on while I'm not looking. :roll:

I'm hoping there 's something soft and fairly inconspicuous that I can get. I'm sort of afraid of big tough-looking ones in case people passing think I know what I'm doing on a bike, or that I'm one of the "all the gear, no idea" brigade. Maybe I'll invest in some football socks with the pad pockets. Yeah, that seems a good idea.

Thanks for the replies chaps.
  • Luto
    Luto Posts: 7
    wear some long socks :D
  • Tom Barton
    Tom Barton Posts: 516
    661 veggie range - they do knees, shins etc. Soft neopane stuff to absorb knocks as apposed to the hardcore plastic armour for big knocks.
  • What shoe/pedal combination do you use?

I was concerned when I first went to flats but so far not slipped a pedal. I use 5 ten low shoes and superstar nanotech flat pedals. To be honest sometimes when I want to move my foot I cant it needs lifting off to reposition. Although shin pads would be cheaper I think a better shoe\pedal combo may be better in the long run if you want to stay with flats.

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    decent pedals with decent pins and your shoe soles should grip like sh!t to a blanket really. add half decent technique and you shouldn't really come off, maybe once every blue moon when not concentrating but that's about it.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Veggies will do it but they're horrible to wear.

With me, I very rarely catch myself while riding, I do it either while crashing or while pushing the bike. Which is really bloody annoying frankly.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • bbug
    Northwind wrote:
    With me, I very rarely catch myself while riding, I do it either while crashing or while pushing the bike. Which is really bloody annoying frankly.

Ditto me. I rarely fall off - much too cautious. I don't know when the damage occurs. Probably pushing or getting on or off like you do. I'm rarely concious of hurting myself at the time. I mostly just find the scars later. Maybe my skin's getting thinner with age. I used to be able to take knocks much better in years gone by (when dinosaurs walked the earth). The soft neoprene type thingies look like a good option for me. I'll check these out if I see some in a shop somewhere. I don't want to buy some mail-order then find I can't live with them.

HM. What if I chop the legs off my winter wetsuit?

Thanks again for all the suggestions.
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    You could try these as another option http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Troy_Lee_Knee_Pads_-_Adult_Fit/5360042051/

I use them and although they are definitely no good for hardcore downhill but as a bit of light and comfortable protection that in no way interferes with your knee movement I find them really good. I bought them after an 'off' last summer whan I suffered some quite bad grazes to my chins and knees and they have saved me from a couple of other moments of incompetence since. I can wear them on bare legs with no rubbing at all and I genuinely forget I have them on. :)
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • nikstar1
    nikstar1 Posts: 103
    I would definitely recommend the veggie skins range! They are so comfortable and to be honest - in the winter they keep you warmer!!

They have a great range online so just shop around to get a good deal. Don't go with anything too plasticy as it just gets in the way and you willo get annoyed whilst you ride.

Let us know how you get on!
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    Northwind wrote:
    Veggies will do it but they're horrible to wear.

You reckon? I like my veggie shin wraps combined with kyle strait knee pads, running terror pins in the V8s can lead to paranoia.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Yeah, I couldn't stand them, just seemed to overheat me instantly and felt really tight. I can't really see the point of them for that reason, they're not nicer or less noticable to wear than proper shinpads and they're less protective.

IMO of course ;)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • nikstar1
    nikstar1 Posts: 103
    Really!?

I think they are brilliant. I personally find them really comfortable to wear and secure so they don't tend to fall down.

Suppose its each to their own though :)
  • anton1r
    anton1r Posts: 272
    Northwind wrote:

+1

I've got a set of football shin pads kicking around the house, any issues against using then? Apart from the fact that i'll look daft using them for the wrong sport?
    "I have a plan, a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a fox." (from the Blackadder TV series)