Recovery from a very hard ride indeed ?

JimmyK
JimmyK Posts: 712
There is a ride I havent done for over a year and I did it on Monday night. Halfway through I remembered why I havent used it in so long. Hill after hill after hill and I was shatterred after it. There was so much out of the saddle climbing and my thigh muscles really felt it during the trip.

What is your recovery technique after a ride which really takes it out of you ?

Do you take extra days off, do a shorter ride out next time or do you just go hell for leather again on the next ride ? With my multiple sclerosis , the last option is one I darent deploy :cry: I wont run away from that tough ride in future, but it would be useful to read other riders recovery methods after a real tough un.

Comments

• smithy1.0
    smithy1.0 Posts: 439
    Head out and do 70 mile the next day. Seriously, that's what I did after winning a 56mile road race the other week!

For recovery, I recommend a cold bath, protein recovery drink, plenty of good food and perhaps take an easy 20 min walk.
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    Recovery drink within 20 minutes of finishing the ride.
    Lots of stretching.
    Ice / cold bath.
    Rest.
    Food.
    Gentle spin for 60-90 minutes the next day.
    More stretching.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    eat & rest, that's all. I've never seen the point of 'recovery' rides. If you're feeling the effects the day after, just leave the bike alone.

The ice bath thing might be useful if you're a pro riding a three-week tour - but to most other people the idea of an ice bath is both unnecessary and deeply unpleasant....
  • stfc1
    stfc1 Posts: 505
    I don't pretend to understand why, but I have definitely felt the benefit, personally, of a very easy 30-60 minute spin of the pedals the day after a big effort.

A few minutes easy riding to warm down at the end of the ride never does any harm either.
  • Variado
    Variado Posts: 107
    I don't pretend to understand why, but I have definitely felt the benefit, personally, of a very easy 30-60 minute spin of the pedals the day after a big effort.

+1

I usually feel fairly rubbish for the first mile or, but after that my legs seem to recover
  • Moomin23
    Moomin23 Posts: 77
    SiS REGO is miracle stuff, stops the muscles from aching the day after. Spinning home in a low gear at the end of a ride is also a good way to work through any lactic acid build up.
    I want to come back as Niki Gudex's seat
  • I been thinking the same thing.

Whats peoples views on Protien Bars? I know a few friends eat them for weight lifting, and some cycle friends swear by them for recovery.

Can a Power Bar from GNC really help that much, or is it in the brain? Zipvit have some good deals on i'll take up if they do help.
  • thiscocks
    thiscocks Posts: 549
    softlad wrote:
    eat & rest, that's all. I've never seen the point of 'recovery' rides. If you're feeling the effects the day after, just leave the bike alone.

The ice bath thing might be useful if you're a pro riding a three-week tour - but to most other people the idea of an ice bath is both unnecessary and deeply unpleasant....

+1

The last thing I would want to do after a ride is sit in a cold bath. I actually doubt it is at all good for you especially if you get colds ect easily. If its boiling outside a cool shower might be nice but otherwise...
  • smithy1.0
    smithy1.0 Posts: 439
    Half the thing with recovery drinks is that they replace lost electrolytes/vitamins, that's why you feel better the next day. The added protein and carbohydrate only assist recovery though, so definately worth taking.

A cold bath might be unpleasant, but believe me, it works. That all depends on whether or not you want to suffer the cold for a few mins to enable you to ride better the next day though.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    edited April 2010
    I'm sure it works - but it's the 'unpleasantness' that I can't get past... ;)
  • thiscocks
    thiscocks Posts: 549
    yeah, put it this way; I'd only do it if I was getting paid for riding a bike!
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    A cold bath might be unpleasant, but believe me, it works. That all depends on whether or not you want to suffer the cold for a few mins to enable you to ride better the next day though.

I would say I feel about a 50% improvement in recovery when I use a cold bath over when I don't.
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    Cool down properly towards the end of the very hard ride.

Eat/drink within the recovery window.

Sleep lots (!)

Next day go on a recovery ride of around 1 hour, at a very very steady and easy pace (add in 1x30 second 90% effort midway through, but don't get carried away!!!!)

Even if you want to go on a hard ride the next day, a 45 min to 1 hour ride in the morning will do wonders for that afternoon/evening ride.
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson