clicking noise when pedalling

millerbear
millerbear Posts: 28
edited April 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
I've developed a slight clicking noise from the crank region mainly when in gears 10-19,it's not overly loud but it's driving me mad on long trips!can anybody help!!!!!
its an slx crank by the way.
BMC Trailfox 02

Comments

• BG2000
    BG2000 Posts: 517
    Blimey, you count your gear numbers ? I haven't a clue which gears 10 - 19 are on my bike !

I'm assuming this is middle chainring and all 9 sprockets at the back ?

Anyway, does the click happen at the same point in your crank revolution ?

If so:

* check that your front derailleur isn't catching on the RHS crank arm or a chainring
    * check that your front derailleur's inner cable isn't sticking out and catching on the cranks
    * check you don't have a seriously bent tooth on one of the chain rings

If it's not always at the same crank rotation position, then it could be bearing issues...
  • thanks for that!yes it is the middle chainring and it is in the same place every goddam time lol.
    I shall investigate it tonight. :P
    BMC Trailfox 02
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    Check the chainring bolts :)

also check your chain has no stiff links....
  • Mork77
    Mork77 Posts: 8
    Might be a long shot but I had this with a cheap set of pedals and one pedal was cross threaded and working its way lose, changed pedals and its been fine for a year with no clicking.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    shoelaces are another classic one...

Read the article from sheldon brown about diagnosing clicks and tings... You could be here a while!
  • My friend had same problem. If it isnt a periodic sound (ie doesnt click every rotation) take a look at your frame. Maybe cracked.
    Giant XTC SE 2006
    Cube LTD Race 2009
    Trek Fuel EX 9
  • Matt 24k
    Matt 24k Posts: 186
    Have tried getting out of the seat whilst pedaling? I know it sounds odd but I spent ages chasing a similar type of noise around my bike and in the end I found that the seat rails were clicking as they were not fully tightened.
  • thanks for all the help guys,just taken it for a service and the noise has now dissapeared!!I'm still none the wiser as to what was causing it but who cares now!I'm back to smooth quiet pedalling :D
    BMC Trailfox 02
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    Glad it's sorted. My last creaking sound was from my cranks. The left one became a little loose, discovered that and tightened the bolt. All good.
    Many happy trails!