V5ade Posts: 192
edited April 2010 in MTB general
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cambridgeshire/8639481.stm
I hope that the poor pedestrian make a swift a full recovery :(
Somewhere in the Surrey Hills :-)

Comments

• ExeterSimon
    ExeterSimon Posts: 830
    There's a difference between a cyclist and a 15 year old toe-rag on a bike.
    Whyte 905 (2009)
    Trek 1.5 (2009)
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (2007)
  • D-Cyph3r
    D-Cyph3r Posts: 847
    A 15-year-old was earlier arrested on suspicion of assault, theft and perverting the course of justice.

Not a cyclist, just a yobbo on a bike.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    yup scrote kid on a bike, not a cyclist
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Still, when someone is arguing that cyclists are just as dangerous as drunk drivers, this'll come out.

All the same, I wouldn't equate a joyrider with an 'ordinary' driver.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • mancjon
    mancjon Posts: 53
    Still, when someone is arguing that cyclists are just as dangerous as drunk drivers, this'll come out.

+1

we may well distinguish between the 2 but the non-cycling person won't unfortunately
  • bails87
    One

Two

Three

Four

Five

There's some bad publicity for driving :wink:
    MTB/CX

• wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    bails87 wrote:

Yes. But a single story illustrates a generalisation far better than multiple examples.
  • bails87
    wordnumb wrote:
    bails87 wrote:

Yes. But a single story illustrates a generalisation far better than multiple examples.

I know, I was just trying to put the one injured pedestrian into some context against the numbers that die in accidents involving cars.
    MTB/CX

• peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I'm 15 in a few months and I get some really dirty looks from people when on the bike.

Why?

I don't behave eratically, never dodge in and out of people, ride on the road when safe to do so and I get iff and walk if it's really busy.

Some people are just dikheads, most people who aren't cyclists are in fact towards cyclists (or anyone on a bike)
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    What do you mean "towards" cyclists or people on bikes? :S
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Valy wrote:

As in anyone that looks like a cyclist to them (even yobbos on bmx's)

"Towards" as in they think the same of anyone on a bike (they hate us basically)
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    peter413 wrote:
    Valy wrote:

As in anyone that looks like a cyclist to them (even yobbos on bmx's)

"Towards" as in they think the same of anyone on a bike (they hate us basically)

I see.

I don't think that "all" people would automatically hate cyclists - there would be reason, otherwise they might just think "people on bikes".
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    There was an interesting article I read (I think in singletrack mag). It was all about when anything happens involving a cyclist, they are always referred to by the media, as a cyclist.

For example, a 23 year old man with a heroin addiction mugs an old lady and she ends up in hospital. Because he escaped on a bike, the story reads: Cyclist puts old lady in hospital for purse. Or something to that extent.

What the author of the article concluded was that because journalists all see people as the same as them, that all journalists should be given bikes for free, and forced to cycle to work. Then, one day, there might just be an article:

Non-cyclist mugs old lady