Mechanical or Hydraulic disc brakes

egg-banjo
egg-banjo Posts: 34
edited May 2010 in MTB beginners
Im just doing a pros and cons list of 2 bikes im interested in, im totaly new and am wondering if there is a differance in performance of the brakes i have mentioned, could this swing me toward one bike rather than the other?

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    You won't beat hydraulics for ultimate stopping power but they can be a PITA when it comes to maintenance. I have used some basic Tektro cable discs in the past and they were pretty good. Light, simple, plenty of bite - and with smooth running cables they had a fair bit of modulation. Not bad at all.
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    I've always found my hydraulic brakes an absolute breeze to maintain (they haven't needed bleeding yet), but I've never had cable discs to compare them to. They're certainly simpler than v-brakes imo.
  • cmm303
    cmm303 Posts: 59
    I have not used hydraulic in real anger but everyone says they are more powerful. Does that matter: Personally I have had not had an issue with the power on cable discs (Tektro as fitted to Carrera Kraken) but on a long Lake District downhill my fingers ached.

I have found them quite maintainable with normal tools and a bit of engineering savvy. They need regular adjustment, e.g.after any harsh ride, and are sometimes noisy.
    ChrisM
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If you can stop your bike as you wish with your existing brakes, then they are the right ones for you.

All the brake systems have pros and cons, and some work better than others for certain people and certain bikes.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Best thing about hydro is the feel and stopping power combined with the incredibly long time between needing to tweak or service them - years in many cases (pad replacement aside of course but you need to do this with all brakes).
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    i have cable: avid bb5

i like to say "they respond well to maintinance" translates as:

if you can be bothered to spend 2 mins adjusting them after heavy use they work fine, to the point where i'm not planning on upgrading them unless they die.
  • Pros - Extremely Powerful , good modulation ,

Cons -Price, weight , Allow you to ride faster and hence crash faster ;) , may require the occasional bleed . Higher Maintenance cost.

The pros definitely outweigh the cons and if you get your levers set right one finger braking is awesome. But as someone else has said if your brakes are adequate they are a nice to have not a must have.

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Daz555 wrote:
    Best thing about hydro is the feel and stopping power combined with the incredibly long time between needing to tweak or service them - years in many cases (pad replacement aside of course but you need to do this with all brakes).

Sometimes - you look in the workshop, and the majority of posts are on disc brakes and squealing, rubbing, leaking, bleeding, pad changes etc.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    What brakes are they?

I had rubbish cable discs that were terrible to the point of being dangerous. Very little power, no modulation, the pad adjuster would wind itself out under repeated braking....just awful!

I'd probably try Avid BBs, but other than that I'd say V brakes or hydro discs.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • R.lepecha
    R.lepecha Posts: 67
    my tektro io's and iox's. work better than my mates tektro aguria comps. mine have better modulation and less problems. cables for ease of use/little repairs. hydros if you want to spend loads for some more power (even though my mechanicals have enough for most xc/am stuff and some light dh.) and longer time to set up.
  • abarth_1200
    abarth_1200 Posts: 370
    If all you want to do in your spare time is adjust your brakes get the mechanical ones, the hydros will just work.
  • RockingDad
    RockingDad Posts: 239
    If all you want to do in your spare time is adjust your brakes get the mechanical ones, the hydros will just work.

amen brother!!

My juicy's are great, my sons cable discs are a pain in the a***

RD
    2010 Carrera Fury
    1992 Raleigh Equipe
  • egg-banjo
    egg-banjo Posts: 34
    Thanks for your input guys, im looking to buy a bike next month, and like i said in my opening post im doing a pros and cons thing with both bikes im interested in.

Spesh Hardrock Pro has Tektro Auriga Comp, hydraulic disc, dual piston with 160mm rotor...........and the Cannondale Trail SL 5 has Tektro I0 Mechanical with 160mm rotor.

Im heavily leaning toward the Hardrock, ive sat on one and feels so right, I aint even seen the Trail SL 5 yet as it wont be in the shops till next month.

Thanks again.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products-com ... 7Cec020208
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    supersonic wrote:
    Sometimes - you look in the workshop, and the majority of posts are on disc brakes and squealing, rubbing, leaking, bleeding, pad changes etc.

At least partly because most of us have disc brakes, and quite a lot of the posts are from total numpties ;)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • abarth_1200
    abarth_1200 Posts: 370
    I have the Hardrock Pro the brakes are great, gears are good nice and light bike overall, 20 mile bike rides, no problem.

Its a shame they only come in silver, I was debating getting the Comp, the model down just becasue it had a better colour scheme.
  • R.lepecha
    the aguria comps have absaloute rubbish modulation, my io's have better mobulation than my mates aguria comps. so go cannondale.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    R.lepecha wrote:
    the aguria comps have absaloute rubbish modulation, my io's have better mobulation than my mates aguria comps. so go cannondale.

I have found the cops have quite good modulation actually.

Just need to learn to use them corectlly (you will know what I mean if you use hayes brakes :wink: )
  • Northwind
    R.lepecha wrote:
    the aguria comps have absaloute rubbish modulation, my io's have better mobulation than my mates aguria comps.

There's something wrong with them them then. My Auriga Comps have all the feel of my XTs, they just don't quite have the power.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • R.lepecha
    then i havent a clue why his are wooden as hell, i doubt its because there not set up properly. cos whats there to set up on a hydro, there bled up properly(he has crossers so he knows how to do it properly)
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    R.lepecha wrote:
    then i havent a clue why his are wooden as hell, i doubt its because there not set up properly. cos whats there to set up on a hydro, there bled up properly(he has crossers so he knows how to do it properly)

There may be a leak somewhere leting a little bit of air in then
  • R.lepecha
    peter413 wrote:
    R.lepecha wrote:

There may be a leak somewhere leting a little bit of air in then
    wouldnt that just cause them to have a squishy feel though?
  • Northwind
    Pads most likely. Can't really think what else would cause loss of feel, loss of power is easy but feel, not so much. They do have a bit of a weird design glitch in that the reservoir diaphragm can trap air between itself and the cap and act as a little air spring, which makes them a bugger to bleed if it happens and can close the pad clearance up but that still shouldn't affect the feel much.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • R.lepecha
    fair enough. i take my comment back. they sound ok on what you are saying. i'll let him knoww. there the original pads though.
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Paul's are knocking out a complete set of Giant MPH Roots inc rotors and is mounts for £90 for a pair this is a bargain
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Avid V brakes. But I'm really old and don't understand all this new fangled stuff.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools