I’m a paid professional. This is not a f****** hobby!

2»

Comments

• Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Thinking about it, poor Cav could easily have blamed his dental problems on Paraguayian (sp?) dentistry, but he hasn't. He's laid the blame for that fully on his own doorstep.
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    It's a good piece.
    But didn't shed any further light really.
    He still comes across as an @rseh0le, but then again, he's not a politician, he's a bike rider, paid to win bike races.
    And he's proved he's very good at that.
  • dexradio
    dexradio Posts: 54
    I really want to like Cav. but I really struggle to "warm" to him. No doubt as to his immense talent, thats for sure. But that interview with Kimmage does make him look "troubled". I'm certainly not qualified to label him with any particular personal problems, but I just can't stretch my admiration for his talent to liking the chap. I just don't like him.

Dex.
  • stonehouse
    stonehouse Posts: 222
    Lets face it, we all know how much effort and dedication is required to be even slightly average in this sport, so to get to the top of the game you must need focus and drive beyond what many of us could imagine or manage. So yes, he probably is arrogant and selfish and could easily appear mean, but that's probably just the price for being as good as he is, and let's face it, he is a master at his game. Perhaps some of us could achieve the same kind of level, but wouldn't be prepared to make all the sacrifices. So let’s give him a break, it’s his choice how he leads his private life which frankly is of no business of ours and wish him all the best for the season.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    stonehouse wrote:
    . So let’s give him a break, it’s his choice how he leads his private life which frankly is of no business of ours and wish him all the best for the season.

I'm quite happy to agree with this part as long as Cav (and, to be fair, many other stars) reciprocate. It was Cavs decision to bring all this out in the public domain - and if he believes its fair to publicise his "private life" then it is equally fair to have those portions comented upon.
    That fact that all his outpourings in the past month neatly coincide with the relaunch of his updated autobiography just show how "private" he wishes his private life to be. What are the odds he'll be one of Max Clifford's clients by the end of the season?
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    LangerDan wrote:
    What are the odds he'll be one of Max Clifford's clients by the end of the season?

Surely he'll need to get his breasts done and sleep with a footballer before Max would be interested?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Well the teeth are right. I started his autobiography a big fan, and ended up disliking him.
    At least I finished it, unlike Ronan O Gara's, which gave me such a pain in the hole that I abandoned after a chapter.
    Dan
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    Tusher wrote:
    Thinking about it, poor Cav could easily have blamed his dental problems on Paraguayian (sp?) dentistry, but he hasn't. He's laid the blame for that fully on his own doorstep.

Disagree. Cav should be blaming the UK dental system. The fact he had to go to Paraguay to have his teeth tendered to is a joke.

I guess my question is this:

Do British people have very bad teeth because:

a. There are no dentists to look after them? or
    b. The reason there are no dentists is because British people don't go to the dentist?
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    It was probably something to do with his Paraguayan girlfriend that he was there.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    SpaceJunk wrote:

b. The reason there are no dentists is because British people don't go to the dentist?

a. There are lots of dentists
    b. People go to the dentist all the time

Those questions are like

Are Australians stupid because

a. They're inbred
    b. Their schools are rubbish

:wink:
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    iainf72 wrote:
    LangerDan wrote:
    What are the odds he'll be one of Max Clifford's clients by the end of the season?

Surely he'll need to get his breasts done and sleep with a footballer before Max would be interested?

As long as theres a sh!tload of cash to trouser and a chance to appear on TV himself, Max will be interested. In anycase, rumour has it Cav has been lurking around John Terrys house, humming cheating songs and dreaming of being crowned "King of the Jungle" by Ant and Dec in 12 months time.

PS - Flatty - you're spot on about the ROG autobiography - complete and utter dreck
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    Tusher wrote:

Disagree. Cav should be blaming the UK dental system. The fact he had to go to Paraguay to have his teeth tendered to is a joke.

I guess my question is this:

What a load of bullocks. Cav lives in Italy, so surely the Italian system is equally to blame.

I'm guessing he got the work done in Paraguay because he's a tight arse and didn't want to pay what he would have to pay to have the work done in the UK or Italy (is cosmetic dental surgery free in Australia?).
    It could've been a personal testimonial/recommendation from his girlfriend to use the dentist he chose.

I know very little about world dentistry though, for all we know Paraguay may be known to have the best dentists in the world.
  • Geez they swallowed that hook well and truly Spacey :wink: I think i detect a sore spot
    Take care of the luxuries and the necessites will take care of themselves.
  • iainf72 wrote:
    SpaceJunk wrote:

Are Australians stupid because

a. They're inbred
    b. Their schools are rubbish

:wink:

The answer is A&B

what do I win? :P
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    watch Austen Powers - you think that's all fiction? Brits have bad teeth, it's just the way it is. I work for a large financial institution where you would not believe the gnashers some have. I'm shocked but you can't hold it against them. Cleanliness wasn't really invented until after the hippies left in the 70s. They started to import soap from American and things improved for the younger generation. But without the fluoridization of the water here, you're buggered as a kid when your adult teeth come in.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • The UK does have flouridised water and has done for some time. Not all parts though.

Bad teeth and the brits is a long standing joke in much the same way that people think that all americans are in-bred but the brits can fix their issue with a trip to the dentist.
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 1,713
    watch Austen Powers - you think that's all fiction?

Yes. Don't you? :shock:
  • FransJacques
    but were you alive here in the 50s and 60s? google the Harry Enfield skits "L is for Labour, L is for Lice".

in every joke is a kernal of truth. anyway, not to harp on about teeth, big digression. but some here are shocking. ever seen the pogues? what's the lead signer's name? yes I know they're irish but you stole all their land and money and all they had left was potatoes so it IS a british thing
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Just a thought, but it could just be that his parents didn't take him to the dentist to have his teeth fixed as a boy, thus he didn't want to see them in Paris.

OTOH, he could just have been such a bolshy wee boy that he refused to wear a brace, and didn't realise his mistake until he was an adult.

I dunno, I only surmise.
  • FransJacques
    Overall, on Kimmage's piece, he's a dark, dark character who likes sad stories - his brother, his fiancee, his teeth, his parents. In the sports pages I would expect to read about his slump and his training issues. True the latter is connected to the first 4 points but Kimmage has a chip on his shoulder re: pro cycling since A Rough Ride. He revels in the dirt too much. Yes MC is a person so dirt comes with it but we know of him and like/dislike him b/c of his pedal turning, not his dating skills for example.

Given that most folks are torn on what kind of light the article portrays MC in, granted we had our own perceptions before we read it, was it that great a piece or more paparazzi-esque expose'?

My view on articles re: pro bikers is I just need to read "I had some personal issues over the winter and spring" and that's it. At my age I find I gravitate towards the hero stories that keep me pedalling long after I wanted to stop. This one made me want to shed a tear in sympathy.

Big question posed earlier is - will be he back? I reckon yes. With Sky? If the team is as good as it is now (if not better) - yes again.
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    FJ Remember this is an article written for a mainstream newspaper not a cycling mag. Your average Times reader doesn't care/understand much about power outputs and periodised training. As such it is a good read.

As for will he be back, of course he will.

With Sky; personally I doubt it, I can't see them dedicating enough of the team to a sprinter's leadout when their stated objective is to win the GC.
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Cav's dentist revealed:

8.jpg

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I thought Cav's teeth looked OK as they were - yeah he had a toothy grin but did it look any worse than the obviously false smiles you see on most celebrities these days ?

It's a shame that someone with perfectly healthy and fairly even teeth feels the need to have them cosmetically enhanced - not knocking him as everyone has insecurities but it's a sad reflection on the society we live in.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.