Vancouver to San Francisco

TheStone
TheStone Posts: 2,291
edited April 2010 in Tour & expedition
There's a few threads on this and plenty of websites with some useful info, but I
had a few questions I can't find the answer to.

- Is it better to avoid peak season (Jul-Aug)?
- Is it possible to do without camping (i.e. travel much lighter)?
- Any problems crossing the border? or better to start in Seattle?

Most sites/blogs I've found seem to take the coast road rather than through the various
national parks. Is there a reason for this?

thanks
exercise.png

Comments

• jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_nos ... &x=16&y=21
    Have this book myself but for me its a read only unfortunately
    jc
  • tatanab
    tatanab Posts: 1,283
    I'd avoid July/Aug simply because it can be pretty warm, although you might like that. Equally the coast road will be at its busiest with tourists.

Plenty of accommodation so no need to camp. Distances between possible lodgings are further than we are used to in UK and the rest of western Europe so some planning may be needed, but the same goes for camping.

I would not expect problems with crossing the border because you wiill have your return air ticket from San Fransisco to hand and you will have done the USA immigration paperwork that has to be done in advance- cannot recall it's name but it will be linked by your airline website. If in doubt, start in Seattle.

If starting in Vancouver then you can island hop your way down the Puget Sound and so avoid the city of Seattle, coming out close to Tacoma. The islands are much quieter and pretty. Ferries are cheap.

I used to live in Seattle, hence my recommendation of the islands. I never rode down the coast but I've driven Mexico to Canada twice.
  • raybo
    raybo Posts: 87
    TheStone wrote:
    Most sites/blogs I've found seem to take the coast road rather than through the various
    national parks. Is there a reason for this?

The reason is Mountains!

If you are interested, you might check out the new ACA (Adventure Cycling Association) Sierra Cascades Route.

Also, the coastline is stunning and has lots of services. The mountains will have snow and long distances between services.

Ray