Removing shimano cassette problems

Almightydutch
Almightydutch Posts: 264
edited April 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
With me wanting to service the hubs on my bike last night i set at removing the Shimano cassette. Chainwhip on, tool with pin inserted in place and on goes the 1'2" wrench for this.
Try as I might, there was no way in hell that the lockring was gonna budge without causing damage somewhere i dont think.

the bike is a std Spesh FSR XC comp and only 9 months old so should i really be having such issues?

My mate who is stronger than me had a go and even he said he didnt wanna put too much force in as he'd break it. The lock ring says on it Lock -> 40nm which i understand perfectly but surely whoever put it together didnt.

What else can i do about it? Help desperately wanted!!!
4 wheels bad
2 wheels good
1 wheel for fun

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    wheel at your feet-cassette facing away. chainwhip and cassette tool ate 3 and 9 O'clock.

press down.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • flowpro
    flowpro Posts: 64
    Stick it in a bench vice if you have one. Frees up a hand to help you hold the whip and turn the wheel. Lube up the ring best you can.

If you really are worried you about breakage take it down your LBS they will whip it off for u.

Must be over 40Nm

Good luck
  • Believe me Nick i've tried force or am i just being too sympathetic to the parts?

That is exactly how i was doin it aswell, prob more 10 + 2 oclock but same method. I thought use my weight on top to make it easier but it just wouldnt budge.
    4 wheels bad
    2 wheels good
    1 wheel for fun
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    more force then.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Cheers Nick i'll give it another go later. tar!
    4 wheels bad
    2 wheels good
    1 wheel for fun