Evans' Flèche Win soured

SpaceJunk
SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
edited April 2010 in Pro race
BMC rider Thomas Frei tested positive for EPO.

Awaiting results of B sample.

Comments

• SpaceJunk
    BMC Racing Team: Statement Regarding Thomas Frei

President Jim Ochowicz:

It has come to our attention that Thomas Frei has been informed that he was tested A-positive regarding the use of EPO. As a consequence, the BMC Racing Team and its members have made the decision to withhold Thomas Frei from competition, in accordance with the BMC Racing Team's own policy. This should not be seen as pre-determination of guilt. The rider will now have to personally address the accusation.
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    I don't see how it sours Evans victory.
  • SpaceJunk
    I probably shouldve said it sours BMC's day somewhat.

First win of the season and all, and they have to contend with putting out this press release.

Evans' win was great, just hope this doesn't detract from it.
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    What kind of coverage does this win get in Australia?
  • SpaceJunk
    Bakunin wrote:
    What kind of coverage does this win get in Australia?

It's actually been quite big in the mainstream media, which is surprising. That said, some media outlets are saying Evans in now the outright favorite for TdF since he got the better of AC!

It was on pay per view TV I understand last night (Eurosport), although I prefer the net for my live cycling needs.

Was a great win by Cuddles.

Cycling coverage in Aust is getting better. Although I am a little annoyed that out local free to view channel is providing 2 hour daily packages for Tour of Cali, yet only 25 min daily highlights of Giro 18 hours after the stage has finished!
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Poor old Andy Rihs' bad luck continues.

Well, good luck yesterday and bad luck.

There I was thinking TF could probably help Cuddles out in the mountains in the Giro.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    Cycling coverage in Aust is getting better. Although I am a little annoyed that out local free to view channel is providing 2 hour daily packages for Tour of Cali, yet only 25 min daily highlights of Giro 18 hours after the stage has finished!
    Annoyed with free to view coverage of both Cali and Giro? That's so much better than the negligable coverage we get here with ITV.... Oh how I miss having free to view access to Sporza and NOS.... :cry:
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    iainf72 wrote:

There I was thinking TF could probably help Cuddles out in the mountains in the Giro.

I guess I'd better post in the original thread. :oops:
    Yes, sticking to the thread theme. Cadel must have mixed feelings this morning.
    TF looked more than handy for mountain domestique duties, having seen his Trentino MTF performance, yesterday.
    As it is, a further kick in the guts for the roster.

Team morale, yesterday, must have looked like a seismograph at strength 8.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    Bakunin wrote:
    Aren't Evans and Thomas Frei on the same team? Can a 'clean' victory ever be won with the help of doped teammates?
  • iainf72
    Bakunin wrote:
    Aren't Evans and Thomas Frei on the same team? Can a 'clean' victory ever be won with the help of doped teammates?

Frei was in Italy, Cadel was in Belgium.

So he didn't help him.

Try again.
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    iainf72 wrote:

Frei was in Italy, Cadel was in Belgium.

So he didn't help him.

Try again.
    Fair enough!
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    BikingBernie will be pleased with the response from the pro peloton:

"I wonder if the UCI will make an example now of this Thomas Frei or will he like Ricco et al be back racing next year in new colours? Enough of this bullshit!"
  • iainf72
    BikingBernie will be pleased with the response from the pro peloton:

"I wonder if the UCI will make an example now of this Thomas Frei or will he like Ricco et al be back racing next year in new colours? Enough of this bullshit!"

Yeah! What exactly does Wiggins want?
  • SpaceJunk
    FJS wrote:
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    Annoyed with free to view coverage of both Cali and Giro? That's so much better than the negligable coverage we get here with ITV.... Oh how I miss having free to view access to Sporza and NOS.... :cry:

I probably should qualify my earlier comment. I'm thrilled Aust TV getting BOTH races. Of course the Tour of Cali is due to the Lance Factor, he'll naturally boost the ratings.

Personally, I'd prefer to see more coverage of Giro. That's all.

Media Update: Cadel is the red hot favourite for TdF after "destroying his nemesis, Alberto Contador, in some prestigious race overnight".
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    Btw if I was Vaconsoleil I wouldn't be making alternative plans for July yet - that's Frei, Ballan and Santambrogio all suspended by BMC since the announcement of the Tour teams. Will ASO boot them?
  • SpaceJunk
    Btw if I was Vaconsoleil I wouldn't be making alternative plans for July yet - that's Frei, Ballan and Santambrogio all suspended by BMC since the announcement of the Tour teams. Will ASO boot them?

Not yet...

I reckon one more BMC positive and they would be gone. That said, I read somewhere on here that Santambrogio was training with Evans in Ardennes, and the suggestion was he will be returning to racing again soon. I'm guessing the same *might* apply to Ballan.

But I still think BMC's invite from ASO would still be valid as at today. That said, Evans should concentrate on the Giro, and if he gets to the TdF, it's a bonus - I can't see him being a real threat in France.
  • El Imbatido
    El Imbatido Posts: 144

The thing you have to remember about Santambrogio and Ballan is they are being investigated for possible infringements whilst riding for Lampre NOT Bmc, so this is infact Bmc's first infringement.

Whilst i don't think this alone will harm Bmc's tour invite because of John Lelangue being in with the ASO, i do think though that something else on top of this that IS from bmc would be a big blow to their chances
    Do you have any Therapeutic Use Exemptions?
    No. Never have.
    Never? What about the cortisone?
    Well, obviously there was the cortisone
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,249
    Is it time for the obligatory pictures of high profile dopers on BMC bikes yet?
  • iainf72

Could you do Pinarello's instead?
  • rick_chasey
    iainf72 wrote:

Could you do Pinarello's instead?

You're probably better informed than I am on those bikes...

Never like Pinarellos.
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    The thing you have to remember about Santambrogio and Ballan is they are being investigated for possible infringements whilst riding for Lampre NOT Bmc, so this is infact Bmc's first infringement.

As I understand it, they aren't even that. They are people the Italian police think they might need to investigate for possible infringements. It's a long way from guilty. .
  • rick_chasey
    Ian, you looking for this kinda thing??

1622561-480-90-480-70.jpg
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Ian, you looking for this kinda thing??

1622561-480-90-480-70.jpg

Pinarello's electric bikes are a lot less subtle than the Specialized one that Cancellara was riding.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    RichN95 wrote:

Pinarello's electric bikes are a lot less subtle than the Specialized one that Cancellara was riding.

They're easier to throw though...