Just One Brake...

ian220476
ian220476 Posts: 164
edited April 2010 in MTB general
Hi,

So a friend of mine has nearly finished his summer XC bike. You name it, it's been done and the weight has flown off the bike, every gram accounted for. The full suss is on back order for when it turns gnarly again.

Anyway..he had rigid carbon forks fitted a while ago and now finds his use of the front brake is somewhat limited as it causes the rear end to pop up. He is toying with the idea of removing the front and only running a rear but wasn't sure if this has already been done and was a huge success or unmitigated failure.

In other words your thoughts and opinions would be gratefully received as to teh pro's and con's or pursuing this route!
GT XC1 - the harder you ride it, the better it is

Stumpy FSR 2010 - Rides over everything and everyone

Comments

• peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Tried it once and worked fine at some points (had no choice since it was stop riding or ride without a front brake :lol: ) but at other points it was horrible.

It's really nice to have the braking there if you need it
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    if he did that then he would find it very hard to stop as the rear does very little braking.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sounds like your friend needs to learn how to brake. It's a lever, not a switch.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    He'll be able to do wicked barspins. And also to ride at speed into trees. Total win really.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Tolk
    Tolk Posts: 775
    Northwind wrote:
    He'll be able to do wicked barspins. And also to ride at speed into trees. Total win really.
    :lol:
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    I rode a red route with only a front and that was tricky, particularly on the fast down hills, but taking the front off....At least he'll make some money from sending the blooded photos into magazines
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    really .... what they say. hard

weight back when braking if he needs to brake hard will help stop the back end lifting
    if the brakes have very bad modulation then get them looked at / replaced with something with more feel, as cooldad says, it's a brake not a switch; there should be a lot of control between "off" and "on"
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • Kubase
    Kubase Posts: 17
    I would miss doing endos....
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    If I had to remove one brake, it would be the rear.
    cooldad wrote:
    Sounds like your friend needs to learn how to brake. It's a lever, not a switch.

+1

Its a mountain bike, not a bmx or a fixie.
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    fixie then? no need for a back brake, no heavy freehub, sounds like a win to me!
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • andyrm
    andyrm Posts: 550
    A well used front brake is definitely more valuable than a rear - making the front tuck in on tight turns, setting you up on singletrack, pulling cool stoppies to impress the local hoodrat girls.......you just can't do that with a rear brake.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Have done most of a 25 mile ride with no front brake. I managed it but the back brake was getting very very hot on the descents. So hot in fact the disc turned a pretty blue colour.

Back brake is for control, front brake is for stopping
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    stubs wrote:
    Back brake is for control, front brake is for stopping

very well put.
    :D
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    And elite-level skids.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    Northwind wrote:
    And elite-level skids.

he-he , i know lol
    i'm upto 4-5 mtrs now on a rear brake-skid , such fun.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Northwind wrote:
    And elite-level skids.

And who was the one saying fill that skid in in the car park :roll: :wink: