Continental tyres or not!!!

jones1467
jones1467 Posts: 29
edited April 2010 in MTB general
When I first purchased my Boardman HT-Pro, it was fitted with Continental Speed King tyres which lasted a good few months of casual riiding on trails and fire roads. I bought a set of replacement speed kings from a well know internet auction site but have been shocked as they appear to have worn in very little time in comparison to the originals.
Does anyone know if Continental produce same name tyres with varying quality or have I just been unlucky?
Thanks, Russ

Comments

• I couldn't answer your question, but are you riding the same terrain?
  • Broonster
    Broonster Posts: 440
    Different tyre compounds for Speed/Race/Mountain Kings, varying from £17 up to £30+.

Did you buy the cheap ones?
    Winter: Moda Nocturne
    Road: Cervelo R3
    'Cross: Ridley X-Night
    Commuter: Genesis Day One
  • jones1467
    I am riding the same terrain and the same Speed King tyre, I was really concerned that maybe i'd purchased "counterfiet" tyres,, if such a thing exists!!
  • asdfhjkl
    asdfhjkl Posts: 333
    edited April 2010
    Were the original ones on the bike the wire beaded speed kings? The folding beaded Conti tyres use a better compound than the cheap ones, which is stickier and thus probably wears faster.
  • jones1467
    Hi Broonster, not sure if they were the "cheap" ones but the were the same manufacturer and the same "speed king" type.
  • ESHER SHORE
    ESHER SHORE Posts: 818
    Conti Tires?

something to consider..

a well known "family" of 3 professional downhill / 4X riders race for Continental, and get as many as they want for "free"

but actually buy Maxxis tires (from UK distributor MMA) and use a marker pen on the sidewall to remove the Maxxis logo

hmmm...
    Call 01372 476 969 for more information on UK\'s leading freeride park - Esher Shore www.eshershore.com
  • jones1467
    The original were wire bead and the replacements were also wire bead. It's interesting to hear that the compounds vary for the same name tyre!
  • jones1467
    The tyres I bought looked authentic, they had the Conti name on the side and moulded "Crowns" on the treads but i'm not convinced. Maybe my imagination is playing games with me.. :o)
  • jones1467
    Hi Esher Shore, sounds interesting! Maybe that's why the onling auction price (including postage) is cheaper than the Continental retail price.............tis possible..
  • Broonster
    Broonster Posts: 440
    jones1467 wrote:
    The original were wire bead and the replacements were also wire bead. It's interesting to hear that the compounds vary for the same name tyre!

For the Race King alone, there is 4 different versions: 'normal' in folding & wire bead, Supersonic and Protection (not to mention the UST version).

So there will be variances in terms of how fast they wear, but also on how they perform.
    Winter: Moda Nocturne
    Road: Cervelo R3
    'Cross: Ridley X-Night
    Commuter: Genesis Day One
  • jones1467
    I suppose it's possible that I bought a different type although I thought it was the same, will do a littel bit more homework before buyiing again.
    P.S. I found the Speed King tyres really good but I found that pressures above 30 psi see the tyres having very liitle grip other than in a straight line....just my experience.