Dragon Ride 2010 - what bike?

crom7
crom7 Posts: 83
Hi,
I had hoped to get a road bike through the C2W scheme but unfortunately due to apathy in my local authority employer the scheme is not up and running yet. my existing bike is a mountain bike - will this be suitable for the Dragon Ride? Will it look completely out of place?

cheers.

Comments

• twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    Brilliant. Stick slicks on it and piss off over weight middle aged guys on expensive Italian bikes when you pass them.
  • Last year there was two guys on unicycles, I think they managed the shorter route.- thats the best way if you want to look out of place. Ive only seen a couple of people on mtbs or tourers. You must be well 'ard if you are considering doing the longest route on mtb or you enjoy a 10hr plus ride. Rob
    Hills do make I sweat a lot
  • Mossrider
    Mossrider Posts: 226
    twotyred wrote:
    Brilliant. Stick slicks on it and wee-wee off over weight middle aged guys on expensive Italian bikes when you pass them.

If you're lucky you will be middle aged one day. If you're luckier still you'l be capable of riding sportives (weight problem or not), and if you're really lucky you'll be able to afford an expensive Italian bike. You'll also have learned just how much dedication is required to maintain fitness against the competing needs of children, work, DIY, she who must be obeyed etc.

In the old days us grey beards were respected....

Personally I've just secumbed to the mid life crisis (late as ever!) and upgraded to an expensive French bike, but I suppose that counts. Not sure that anyone on a mountain bike will be passing me on any sportives though (us oldsters can still have a decent turn of speed and where stamina is concerned....)

No problem riding a MTB on a sportive - as long as you have the stamina, all credit to you.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    There probably won't be many others on MTBs so in that respect you will look out of place. But if you reckon you can get round and enjoy it then why not?
  • Westerberg
    Westerberg Posts: 652
    you will be fine so long as you shave your legs
  • acidstrato
    acidstrato Posts: 945
    who gives a fuck what you look like? roadies still get judged by other roadies. I've spotted a few looking down upon me with my dirty shoes and hairy legs.

ride what ever bike you want, aslong as you get to the end you can take pride in saying you did so on a mtb
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    crom7 wrote:
    my existing bike is a mountain bike - will this be suitable for the Dragon Ride? Will it look completely out of place?

cheers.
    Nope, just get out there and enjoy a great day. Last year two guys completed the Dragon on unicycles :shock: 8)
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Definitely do-able, though it's just easier on a road bike. Might be an idea to borrow one?

If you do it on an MTB then try and lock the fork out at least to conserve energy there. Slick tyres (get some thinnish ones).

You'll have a good gear range though!
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    If you're lucky you will be middle aged one day. If you're luckier still you'l be capable of riding sportives (weight problem or not), and if you're really lucky you'll be able to afford an expensive Italian bike. You'll also have learned just how much dedication is required to maintain fitness against the competing needs of children, work, DIY, she who must be obeyed etc.

Mossrider I'm all of those things you mention (but the weight is coming down) but I still think it would be amusing to be passed by a guy on an MTB- yes I'm a mountianbiker as well which may explain why I still retain a sense of humour.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    acidstrato wrote:
    who gives a fark what you look like? roadies still get judged by other roadies. I've spotted a few looking down upon me with my dirty shoes and hairy legs.

ride what ever bike you want, aslong as you get to the end you can take pride in saying you did so on a mtb

Dirty shoes ?

Hairy legs ?

Bad boy, dirty boy. :wink:
  • Mossrider
    Mossrider Posts: 226
    Not sure that schadenfreude and humour are quite the same thing. Still, if you are a mountain biker, a sense of humour is probably useful in whiling away the long hours taken to actually get anywhere....
    :wink:
  • acidstrato
    acidstrato Posts: 945
    dmclite wrote:
    acidstrato wrote:
    who gives a fark what you look like? roadies still get judged by other roadies. I've spotted a few looking down upon me with my dirty shoes and hairy legs.

Dirty shoes ?

Hairy legs ?

Bad boy, dirty boy. :wink:

oh, I am 8)
    Crafted in Italy apparantly