2007 Specialized FSRxc - big upgrades

SDK2007
SDK2007 Posts: 782
edited April 2010 in Your mountain bikes
The project of upgrading my XC bike is complete...for now at least :)

The base was a Specialized FSRxc which I bought in January 2007. It came fitted with basic-medium spec components and I’ve now turned it into an XC race machine, ready for my races later in the year.

Key upgrades (standard-new)

Wheels : Mavic 717 - Roval Controle SL
Fork : Rockshox Recon - 2010 Rockshox SID Race
Rear Shock : X Fusion 02RC - Fox RP2
Brakes : Avid Juicy 3 - Avid Elixir
Gearing : Shimano XT/Deore -Full SRAM X9
Crankset : Shimano Deore - Shimano SLX
Front tyre : Continental 2.2 Race King Supersonic
Rear tyre : Schwalbe 2.25 Furious Fred Evo
+ Ritchey WCS bar, stem, headset and bar ends

The weight has come down from about 30lbs to around 24lbs.
The wheels and tyres are fully optimised being one of the lightest setups available; I’ve even used supersonic tubes which are half the weight of normal tubes so acceleration is now road bike quick :)

09-fsr-xc-small.jpg

10-fsr-xc-small.jpg

02-fsr-xc-small.jpg

01-fsr-xc-small.jpg

Comments

• tptvmbircn
    tptvmbircn Posts: 782
    nice stuff,

the ritchey gear is smart and minimal and looks bloody light!
  • Zaskar20
    Zaskar20 Posts: 557
    Good job. :D
  • Stoo61
    Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
  • Bill-87
    Bill-87 Posts: 155
    Lovely looking bike mate.

I don't race my MTB or anything but i'm considering getting some bar ends for a little added comfort and variety on the positioning of my hands.
  • Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    Nice looking bike. How do you get on with the Freds? From the description they sound pretty flimsy.
  • SDK2007
    SDK2007 Posts: 782
    So far I've only done one ride on the bike (2 laps around Cannock FTD) and it was very fast. I was initially worried about the tyres and tubes, both in terms of grip and the potential for punctures but as the ride progressed my confidence grew and I was pushing very hard without incidents.

I'm hitting Cannock again tonight to do FTD and the just opened Phase 2 section and I'm hoping the tyres and wheels will hold up on the small drop offs and rock sections.

Basically I've built this bike for XC only and Cannock Phase 2 is about as tough terrain as it will face.
  • Bill-87
    Bill-87 Posts: 155
    Good luck.