W.I.P: 2010 Cotic BFe FRAME PICTURES

The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
edited May 2010 in Your mountain bikes
Righto - as it's the done thing to do a W.I.P without a frame, I may as well follow suit :D

Frame (should be with my 2nd week in May *hopefully*) is a 2010 Cotic BFe in Gritstone Grey and 17.5" flavour.

I have 95% of the componentry ready for a full build. However I do need:

FSA Orbit MX headset (black)
12mm-10mm thru axle converter (to QR)
Goodridge Carbon cable set.

Not sure what I want to do with the Saint cranks, they are lovely, but may be too much for trail riding, so may sell them* and purchase some new SLX cranks with the funds.

Anyway, here's everything I have so far, cleaned, stripped and boxed/put in the spare room:

Bike's worth of componentry
Brakes
Forks
Wheels

s1051154.th.jpg
s1051153.th.jpg
s1051152.th.jpg
s1051151.th.jpg

* Let me know by PM if potentially your interested - £90 posted (32/22t with bash, BB and KCNC bolts) they are virtually brand new with only a couple of minor marks that were there when I bought the bike.

Comments

• Should be a cracking bike when it's done.

If it comes down to it, you could always just keep the saint cranks and swap the chainrings for some bigger ones, say 36/24 for example. Although I agree that SLX is the way forward.

Not sure if they've still got them in stock, but I got my FSA Orbit MX headset (in black) from CRC, reduced to about £25 iirc.
  • Dual ring SLX sounds good... I always struggled with the single ring saints on my NS :(

can't see the pics because i'm in work :(
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Nice! I do like Cotic's bikes. Quite fancy a Soda - do they do it in black?!

Carbon cables - don't they snap? :wink:
  • The Big Cheese
    Cheers lads, am looking forward to getting this one up and running.

When I have shpped the frame (still need to find a box yet, the frame is stripped and ready to go) I may bang the Saint cranks up for sale. Getting the frame to the buyer is No 1 priority for me at the moment.

I fancy SLX over XT as apart from a gew grammes, theres no performance advantage.

£90 is a bloody good deal for them, I should be able to fetch that for the Saints.
  • Surf-Matt
    Big Cheese -I think I was unlucky but I killed my SLX chainset very quickly and I'm not exactly large. In fact my Stylo lasted longer - the SLX middle and outer rings were badly worn (outer was worst) and the BB was utterly knackered after just over a year and about 2500 miles.

I went XT this time because they now have a steel/carbon middle ring and apparently (this may not be true) the BB is better than SLX.

However it doesn't match my bike as well as SLX...

Until it wore out, it performed well - very stiff, pretty light.
  • Surf-Matt
    I think the BB's are the same.... they look the same anyways... as do the saint + deore bb's lol!
    BB and chainrings are consumable parts so I'd say a year was fair!
    As long as the crank arms weren't bent/broken I don't see the problem :lol:
  • The Big Cheese
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    Big Cheese -I think I was unlucky but I killed my SLX chainset very quickly and I'm not exactly large. In fact my Stylo lasted longer - the SLX middle and outer rings were badly worn (outer was worst) and the BB was utterly knackered after just over a year and about 2500 miles.

I went XT this time because they now have a steel/carbon middle ring and apparently (this may not be true) the BB is better than SLX.

However it doesn't match my bike as well as SLX...

Until it wore out, it performed well - very stiff, pretty light.

Matt, I had the XT too, great chainset. Just dont want to be paying more than I need to.

Yuo cover a LOT more miles than I do, I dont ride that often and when I do, its not for miles and miles (20 most times, hardly ever more than that)

This bike is for bombing around the local trails (0.5m there) and a few trail centres thrown in this year. I wont be covering massive amounts of mileage on it I shouldnt imagine.

Hopefully Ill be lucky with the SLK..... :D

Then again, I may just stay with the Saint crankset, although heavy is a nice piece of kit and not all lairy like the new style ;)
  • stevet1992
    stevet1992 Posts: 1,502
    Never had a problem with my SLX cranks, had them on the 456 and now on the Meta, Not much sign of wear on the BB or rings !
    On-One 456 Sainsburys Season

Calling All SouthEastern Riders
  • Surf-Matt
    Hmm - maybe I should just ride less... :cry:

When this BB wears out, I'm going to look for something nuclear bomb proof.

BigBen -I think you might be right. Well it looks pretty anyway and the carbon and steel middle ring is a bit trick looking :wink:

Big Cheese - you're getting an SLK?

Hairdresser... :lol:
  • The Big Cheese
    LOL......... defo not!!!

SLX maybe ;)
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    this is going to be nice.

btw how are r=the b54 pedals? i ordered some and just wanted to know
  • jay12 wrote:
    btw how are r=the b54 pedals? i ordered some and just wanted to know

Pfft, pointless asking him, they're off the sanction which was taken out of the box, had some parts swapped, was polished then sold. You'd be better off asking my 4yr old :wink:
  • The Big Cheese
    LOL - they are excellent, nice quality, nice design and spin nice and smooth unlike my DMRs (all of them)

Best platform pedals I have had by a country mile, and I have hads some good 'uns! :wink:
  • LOL - they are excellent, nice quality, nice design and spin nice and smooth unlike my DMRs (all of them)

Best platform pedals I have had by a country mile, and I have hads some good 'uns! :wink:
    My superstar ones are very very very nice.... so much so i'd be inclined to say that they're twice as good as my beloved slim jims!
  • The Big Cheese
    Yes, I had the Superstar Mag Ultra, they were OK, looked puuuuurdy and spun freely, but were they worth the extra £45 over the B54s... Hmmmmmmmm

Granted, they are more blingy...... but some bikes (like this one is going to be) is not going to benefit from any bling this time*

*He says now, let's see..................
  • plus theyre mag... not as strong apparently :(
  • The Big Cheese
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    plus theyre mag... not as strong apparently :(

Not for my clumsy size tens anyway LOL
  • The Big Cheese
    Update: frames should be in the UK within the next fortnight :D
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    Oh for gods sake. Just post pictures when its done!
  • The Big Cheese
    Andy wrote:
    Oh for gods sake. Just post pictures when its done!

**** off you! :P
  • Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    Are you going to ride this one ;)
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    Eranu wrote:
    if he doenst, im gonna go to his house and beat him with a chainring.... then nick the bike

:lol::wink:
    I like bikes and stuff
  • The Big Cheese
    A few new items purchased:

FSA Pig DH Pro headset (sealed catridge bearings and fecking bombproof)
    275d.jpg

An an Azonic Monentum 12-10mm step down nutted axke.....
    3200003momaxellarge.jpg

And some of these (in gold) to replace the stock silver ones:
    26599.jpg

Sent the SLX cranks I ordered back as they sent the wrong ones, so still undecided on what to go for.

The frame should be here next week so I can get it all built up (minus crankset) and will get piccies up as soon as... :D
  • The Big Cheese
    Eranu wrote:
    if he doenst, im gonna go to his house and beat him with a chainring.... then nick the bike

Better make sure you bring five blokes around with you, and Im being very specific about that number ;)
  • joshtp
    Eranu wrote:

Better make sure you bring five blokes around with you, and Im being very specific about that number ;)
    if you dont mind me asking.. why would that be?

:lol:
    I like bikes and stuff
  • The Big Cheese
    I have moves worked out ;)

Chuck Norris stylee... :lol:
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    I have moves worked out ;)

Chuck Norris stylee... :lol:
    Maybe he'll just come round with a shotgun.

You could be the toughest, hardest bastard in the world, but with a shotgun blast, your going down!

Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • The Big Cheese
    *Down into the Cheese Cave and Digs out prototype 'Santa Cruz ST/V-23 carbon with Ti reinforcing weapon suit"....

• The Big Cheese
    Well, new 12-10mm 'step-down' bolted rear axle arrive with trick gold nuttage ;)

And also, my FSA Pig DH Pro headset - lovely bit of kit and strong as you like ;)

s1051165.jpg

s1051164.jpg
  • joshtp
    a shotgun is a great idea... maybe a dart gun might bee good though, as it could be death in 3 secs withought the noise, mess and potential to damage what will be becoming my bike as soon as your dead.....

no, i still preffer a chainring... maybe one of those nice E:thirteen coloured ones....

I like bikes and stuff