training for a 47mile challenge

chrisski
chrisski Posts: 79
ive entered into the corrieyairack challenge on 3rd July. its 47 miles with about 20miles up and over a mountain using a landrover track then 17 miles on rd.
Anyone got any ideas of how i should train esp as its uphill alot and i hate doing uphill! i have a young family so have to fit my training in around that and work!
cheers!

Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Yes train your mind about going uphill it will improve your performance more than anything else. :)
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • chrisski
    i meant by physical training not mental!
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    By cycling up hills. You can't train for hills on the flat or turbo, the feel of a hill depends on your bike, the gears and how fit you are.

Look for any hills near where you live and go up it a 10 times. learn which gear is best and if you need to sit or stand when it's very steep.

If the sportive is 47 miles, try and do at least 6x 25-30 mile cycles or 3x 40 milers.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • boneyjoe
    boneyjoe Posts: 369
    I've similar issues re young family and work commitments, trying to train for the Selkirk Merida in August. Do most of my training on the commute (4 x 1-1.5hrs per week), with one of the evening rides taking in all the local hills that I can find! Also do XC races once a month (about 1.5hrs plus 45min practice lap) and am planning two longer training rides of about 4 and 6 hours respectively on long weekends over the coming months.

Did the Isle of Man End2End last year, and had an absolute blast, but suffered horrid cramp from the 3hr mark. Hence now adding the longer training rides to the programme.

Totally agree though that you'll need to train a lot on steep climbs to find your rythm and learn to love them! Also, be sure to shed as much weight as you can, both from yourself and the bike, and think carefully about what you take with you on the ride, as every gram counts! Obviously take enough food and water and some puncture repair bits, but keep everything else to the absolute minimum. Best of luck with it! :wink:
    Scott Scale 20 (for xc racing)
    Gary Fisher HKEK (for commuting)
  • chrisski
    whats the merida like? my mate wants me to do it!
  • Iwingstein
    Iwingstein Posts: 111
    Get yourself on big (varied type) of hills, then as others have said find the right gear for that particular hill.

Speaking as a 17st fat bloke, the hills do get easier the more you do them.

Then you can go faster up them as the agony doesn't last as long spurring you on to go faster as the ag........ You get the rest:D
  • Stuntman
    Stuntman Posts: 267
    no pain, no gain. depends on what time or how competitive you want to be.

Hill repeats are a good thing but find the longest hill possible and get out on the bike more. keep upping your mileage each week if you can. 1 long ride, 1 fast ride up to half the distance of the long ride and 1 set of hill repeats.

If you have a turbo then do it. a 30minute hard workout on the a few times a week may be all you can fit in so do it. Stay confident. and any training is better than no training, so if you can't get out for a hill session or a fast tempo ride then sit on the turbo, do some squats, etc.

Good luck
    Specialized Epic
    Specialized Enduro
    Specialzied Transition