Adjusting hydrolic brakes

mcflyss
mcflyss Posts: 257
edited April 2010 in MTB beginners
Hey,

I have a spec Rockhopper nd it is the first bike i havhe had with hydrolic (SP) brakes. How do i adjust them? They have become a little weak. Have had the pads out and degreased them, used some wet and dry to take the shine off them but still feel a little weak... IE i have to pull the lever mighty hard to stop hard... no one finger braking. There is a bit of play in the lever so how do i get rid of this? I se there are barrels by the calipers and the levers.. re these the same as with gears? Turn one way to tighten and other way to loosen? I tried to turn mine but wouldnt move and didnt want to force some thing that might not meant to be moved!!!

ok think coverd all basis... can any one help pls?

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    what brakes?

Sounds like you've contaminated the pads and have air in the system.

Seeing as it is your first set, i'd go to a good local bike shop and ask them if they'd fit new pads and bleed the brakes for you and show you how to do it for yourself.
  • mcflyss
    Well have cleaned them would that not get rid of any contaminents? Want to learn and have no cash, any one got any walk through on how to bleed?
  • mcflyss
    Oh and the brakes are stock, alure or some thing?
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    in short no...

Brake pads are pretty porous, so if you've braked with any contamination then you'll have driven it right through the pad.

What brakes for the bleeding walkthrough? but generally most manufacturers have instructions on their webbies.
  • mcflyss
    Ok, so need new pads possibly then!! damn it lol

The brakes i think are -- Tektro’s Auriga Comp dual-piston --

They were ok, but i used fenwicks F1 to clean the rotor and it was after then that they seemed to go down hill... would that contaminate them?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Fenwicks FS 1?

should be fine on the brakes but may make them feel "fuzzy" for a while.

have a read of the manual for info on your brakes.

a link can be found in the Tech links sticky in the Tech section.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • mcflyss
    yup, fenwicks, good degreaser and all round cleaner.
    ok will have a lok cheers
  • mcflyss
    nicklouse wrote:

a link can be found in the Tech links sticky in the Tech section.

i cant find this... any help?
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    Try changing the pads first. My brakes did the same a while ago and I thought they were going to need bleeding, but new pads sorted them out again.
  • mcflyss
    ok cheers, have found the manual on there website on how to bleed... thanks again