Mountain Bike Maintenance - The basics..

bdigital
bdigital Posts: 193
edited April 2010 in MTB beginners
Hello i have recently purchased my 1st semi decent Mountain bike (Carrera Fury) and i would like to keep this one in good condition.

Could someone give me the run down on the following:

1) Basic cleaning & oiling products
2) Basic steps for cleaning the bike after a trail
3) Reccomended servicing intervals (assuming 3 days road riding and 1 day off road per week)

Any information you can provide would be very helpful as i am keen to make sure i keep the bike maintained.

thank you

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/w ... bike-18259

and Parktools and Sheldons pages.

servicing as per the manuals.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Mrs Toast
    Mrs Toast Posts: 636
    You might also want to invest in a good book, like Zinn and the Art of Mountain Bike Maintanence if you ever want to go a bit more indepth.
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    Zinn is good. It's in need of an update but it's served me well. Actually, if you want a copy, let me know, mine hasn't been used since the last couple of bike builds filled in my knowledge.
  • bdigital
    Thank you - ive skimmed over the linked article, but will have a proper read tonight.
    Some confusion over which order to actually do these steps though!

Im going to make a list of all the bits & pieces i need to buy and get them ordered up this week.
  • Slamdunkin
    Slamdunkin Posts: 355
    Youtube has tutoral vids on most things also.
  • bdigital
    ive ordered up some cleaning products, so il be all set to go soon.

I do have another question though - I have noticed that on the fork of my new Fury there is some oiley residue, on the tubes to be exact.

I pressume this is supposed to be there, but do i need to do anything to keep it there? If i hose down the bike after a clean then should i avoid this area?

could anyone provide some info for a beginner~?!!
  • nicklouse
    just wipe it of after a ride.

and follow the forks instruction manual for service info.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • bdigital
    Ok.....so reading into that (possibly incorrectly)

The forks produce the residue themselfs, and its not something that i need to replenish?
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    There's a foam ring just underneath the rubber seal on the top of the lower part of your fork, this foam ring is soaked in oil and keeps the uppers nicely lubed as they move in and out of the lowers. A light residue is good :D

There's some pics here that'll show you what I mean:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/workshop-service-the-seals-on-your-fox-32-fork-25020
  • nicklouse
    bdigital wrote:
    Ok.....so reading into that (possibly incorrectly)

The forks produce the residue themselfs, and its not something that i need to replenish?

and the fork is a?
  • bdigital
    Bike is a Carrera Fury, Fork is a 120mm Suntour Epicon