hi much difference in recon 100mm compared to dart 3 100mm

beermonster1
beermonster1 Posts: 2
edited April 2010 in MTB general
is it worth the up grade

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I would say so - but to make it more worthwhile go for one with Motion Control ie the 351 or Race.
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    Even the basic SL Recon feels smoother and lighter than the Dart. Worth the upgrade.
    Can't say about stiffness, I don't really notice those stuff at 10 stone. :oops:
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Recons are uch stiffer than darts.

Being 14 stone, I know :wink:
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    which recon? and year?

but a much better platform.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    Not sure about Recon, but I know I upgraded on my old GT to Tora SL, I noticed a huge difference. Having the 32mm stanctions really stiffens the front end up. Not sure about the Recons or where they fit into the rockshox range but the Tora SL's aren't that much more expensive than darts
  • m_cozzy
    m_cozzy Posts: 132
    Depends on your weight. I fitted 2010 recon SL's but ideally need a new spring to cope with my weight. On the 2010 models this costs 60 quid, whereas its 20 on the earlier models. I wish I spent a little more & got the air model, the race maybe it was called?
    Banned from singletrack forum again :-)
  • kona_matt
    kona_matt Posts: 475
    having done exactly that (dart 3 to recon race air) about 6 months ago i can say it is definately worth it, especially if you can get hold of one on that has been knocked down in price.

i have found it to be stiffer and lighter which to me makes the bike feel more nimble when throwing through singletrack. i also really like the adjustability of an air fork (note that not all recon are air). i found the preload on the dart was next to useless.
    FCN 9 - 2008 Kona Cinder Cone
    FCN 9 - Custom Build On-One 456
    FCN 5 - 2010 Boardman Team Carbon
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    Huge jump
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?