UK alternatives to cycling in Majorca

mortozola
mortozola Posts: 23
edited April 2010 in Tour & expedition
Hopefully flying out to Majorca on Thursday for 5 days cycling in the northern mountains from a Port Pollensa base. This is looking less and less likely :(

In the event that we dont get out there, where would you go in the UK? We are a group of 9 cyclists looking for "mountains", long climbs or somewhere with rewarding scenery.

We are based in Winchester and would travel up to 5 hours (by car) to find a good place. Does not need to be one place for the full 5 days but the ride would preferably be between 70 and 100 miles per day. Day trips 2 hours (by car) from Winchester would also be suitable (think that would get us into south Wales - Brecon Beacons etc).

Your suggestions welcome...

Comments

• nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    edited April 2010
    Head up to Cumbria. I live in Kendal which is South of the Lakes and I can choose whether to cycle out to the Lakes, the Yorkshire Dales or the Forest of Bowland. The North Pennines are also within reach. You would probably have the best cycling in the country available to you. All the above areas have more climbing than you could ever need and each area has a totally distinct character. Unfortunately Majorcan weather can't be guaranteed,, but in all other respects you would not be disappointed.
  • FCE2007
    FCE2007 Posts: 925
    ^^ What Nickwill said or Devon/Cornwall coastal roads.
    I'm a massive fan of North Devon tbh :wink:
    Powered by Haribo. Zwift convert P.aul Laws [x]
  • micken
    micken Posts: 275
    +1 ^^^ What they said.
    I'm in Leeds and regularly cycle in the Dales and over by Bowland (try Tatham Fell/Bowland Knots). The Lakes and North Pennines are first class too.

Sadly it's too long since I've been to Devon and Cornwall.
  • Solis
    Solis Posts: 166
    Nickwill spot on but just to add we have had less rain in the Lakes the last three weeks than in Pollenca :D
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I'd probably recommend the Lakes/Pennines as well. But a good alternative would be Northumberland/Scottish Borders/Dumfries and Galloway. Its obviously not as mountainous, but there are plenty of good climbs and (the big plus for me) compared to the Lakes the roads are virtually deserted.

If you based yourself in say Hexham you'd have the option of north to Northumberland, the Borders and D&G or south to the Pennines/Lakes.
    More problems but still living....
  • mortozola
    mortozola Posts: 23
    Thanks for all you suggestions guys.

Somewhat ironic that the weather is forecast to be as good in Blighty as it is in Majorca! Silver linings and all that!
  • LittleB0b
    LittleB0b Posts: 416
    I'd second the D&G./borders/ northumberland option. Sometimes it's like they closed the roads just for you. Peebles is a very cycle freindly wee town (with the option of MTB too)

You could also do a day cyling round arran if you where in that area. (and who doesn't love a ferry ride)

Worth looking at the routes used by the sportives that use those areas (eg this one) for nice quiet, but challenging roads.

The north of scotland is also obviuosly stunning (but more than 5 hours)
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Lancs / Yorks border country can be good. Chipping, Slaidburn, Clitheroe, Skipton, Kirby Lonsdale - those sort of places....

Lots of options in all directions, especially if you are willing to drive for an hour or so before riding.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.