Radioshack is preparing to sell itself

frenchfighter
frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
edited June 2010 in Pro race
Best Buy Co. and some private equity firms are said to be interested.

RS haven't had great press this year.

Not sure what the ramifications for the team will be, both for Team name and sponsorship backing.
Contador is the Greatest

Comments

• calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    If Radioshack see out the 3 year contract, I'll be amazed.

Strava is not Zen.
  • Vino2007
    Vino2007 Posts: 340
    They probably aren't that bothered surely? Its the Tour where they will be hoping to be seen more prominently. After all, not many Yanks watch the classics
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    The season is pretty young. They will be expected to shine next month in the tour of california.
  • Vino2007 wrote:
    They probably aren't that bothered surely? Its the Tour where they will be hoping to be seen more prominently. After all, not many Yanks watch the classics

What about those that tune in every year for Big George's epic fail at Paris Roubaix?
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    All Americans watch old George fail at Flanders and P-R. It's like Christmas in the Spring.

Radioshack? -- no American goes into Radioshack, we buy our batteries at CVS.

The sooner this ends, the better Pro cycling will be.
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    Bakunin wrote:
    All Americans watch old George fail at Flanders and P-R. It's like Christmas in the Spring.

Radioshack? -- no American goes into Radioshack, we buy our batteries at CVS.

The sooner this ends, the better Pro cycling will be.

Look, I'm not a Lance fan by any stretch of the imagination, but how Pro Cycling be better off without RS?

2 years ago the world was is the midst of a GFC, and with cycling having a far from ideal public image to the wider community, I'm surprised that Sponsors have come on board.

Cycling needs as many sponsors and teams as it can get (and an improved reputation).

Can't see how RS not being part of the peloton actually benefits Pro Cycling. Care you explain Bakunin?
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    Look, I'm not a Lance fan by any stretch of the imagination, but how Pro Cycling be better off without RS?
    Having a sponsor and a team is good but the removal of Bruyneel from the sport can only be a good thing. It's not widely known but he's been an agitator for the sport to develop Formula 1 style franchises in the sport and there are other instances where he's been putting forward ideas that, if implemented, would generate substantial money for himself. Now you might like this but I don't, the sport is already massively commercial and needs to stand firm against those seeking to enrich themselves even more. The teams are already very powerful. I'm happy to explain and debate this more if anyone asks.

Once Armstrong retires at the end of July it will be interesting to see what the team does.
  • SpaceJunk
    Kléber wrote:
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    Having a sponsor and a team is good but the removal of Bruyneel from the sport can only be a good thing. It's not widely known but he's been an agitator for the sport to develop Formula 1 style franchises in the sport and there are other instances where he's been putting forward ideas that, if implemented, would generate substantial money for himself. Now you might like this but I don't, the sport is already massively commercial and needs to stand firm against those seeking to enrich themselves even more. The teams are already very powerful. I'm happy to explain and debate this more if anyone asks.

Once Armstrong retires at the end of July it will be interesting to see what the team does.

Actually I thought it was common knowledge about JB's dreams of a F1 model in cycling (at least on these forums :wink: )

I agree that I can do without JB, and his fashion line, but I still think Cycling it better to have RS sponsoring a team than just jump ship as it were.

Yep, end of July will be interesting.
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    Junk -- It is certainly true that the sport needs money/sponsors.

My comments were directed toward those who make the decisions about how to use that RS money. (And the fact that Radioshack can be found in every dying shopping mall/center in the states.)
  • SpaceJunk
    Bakunin wrote:
    Junk -- It is certainly true that the sport needs money/sponsors.

My comments were directed toward those who make the decisions about how to use that RS money. (And the fact that Radioshack can be found in every dying shopping mall/center in the states.)

No probs Bakunin. Sorry for the misunderstanding on your earlier post. And yep, like you, I'm grateful for the sponsors, but I also have ??? marks hanging over the RS management team.
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    Personally, I would be unconcerned if RS folded tomorrow. I don't the the management team, the ethos or any of their rider roster.

I used to admire LA (at least his acheivements on the bike), but his stock has fallen dramatically since 'Comeback 2.0', where his oringal bluster ("I'm riding to raise awareness for the fight against cancer") has proved to be nothing but hot air. Watching LA ride around in the bunch followed be cameras and fanatics is tiresome.
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    That's a bit harsh Pedro, he was riding his guts out in Flanders. I saw him twice at the side of the road and he has a different look in his eyes this year. It's partly: "wow this is hard, these young guys go fast", but there was also the well-known flash of "i'm getting better and despite my age I'm feeling better and I bet I'll be at least somewhat competititve come July".

I have both clips on my digital camera (Lumix) and if I was more tech oriented I'd upload them for you to see. He was looking lean and fast. Part of this is due to the fact that like me, he's 38 y.o. and puppy fat is long gone, I also find it easier to lose wobbly fat at my advanvced age.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    I saw him twice at the side of the road and he has a different look in his eyes this year. It's partly: "wow this is hard, these young guys go fast", but there was also the well-known flash of "i'm getting better and despite my age I'm feeling better and I bet I'll be at least somewhat competititve come July".

That is quite a skill you possess.
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    deal wrote:
    I saw him twice at the side of the road and he has a different look in his eyes this year. It's partly: "wow this is hard, these young guys go fast", but there was also the well-known flash of "i'm getting better and despite my age I'm feeling better and I bet I'll be at least somewhat competititve come July".

That is quite a skill you possess.

yes indeed.. I wonder if he can tell me what he was feeling on the flowing pic?

87143794.jpg
    cartoon.jpg