Amstel Gold *SPOILER*

1235»

Comments

• Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    I didn't want to stir up the nest too much but they've not had a great time, they wanted better. They've had bad luck, Wiggins getting the trots etc.

Perhaps this video explains things:
    http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php ... 1648574165 :lol:
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Its only the first hilly classic. Lets judge them after Liege.

Don't even know why Sky is a talking point here.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Kléber wrote:
    I didn't want to stir up the nest too much but they've not had a great time, they wanted better. They've had bad luck, Wiggins getting the trots etc.

Perhaps this video explains things:
    http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php ... 1648574165 :lol:

That's awesome :D
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    This one was linked to in the comments to that FB video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNKB2VinNAM
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    Been mentioning for a while the woeful under performance of Sky in stage races. It's pretty clear there's not much depth to the squad.
  • William H
    William H Posts: 61
    Sky will be hoping the Lofkvist can perform for them in the next two races. Though he hasn't shown much so far this season
  • Kléber
    William H wrote:
    Sky will be hoping the Lofkvist can perform for them in the next two races. Though he hasn't shown much so far this season
    Indeed, the Giro is coming up soon and they haven't got an obvious leader, unless Wiggins is banging away big numbers in his training.
  • I don't really like to comment on Team Sky, just as I do about any team really. What I will say though is about the impressive track record Brailsford has for shocking everyone with the minute attention to detail of his preparation for a stated aim (The Olympics) and the subsequent performance of his riders.

Sky's sole stated aim is to have a British Tour de France winner. Under-performing in Amstel Gold won't matter one jot should they pull off what they clearly believe likely
  • Seems a bit harsh to critisise Sky when Omega Pharma-Lotto have only won one race so far this year :D
  • Kléber
    Anyway, it was an outstanding success from Gilbert, he went on the attack several times, solo and with others. Then he was at the front of the group on the final climb of the Cauberg and simply jumped clear. Superb.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,811
    Seems a bit harsh to critisise Sky when Omega Pharma-Lotto have only won one race so far this year :D

That's one more than a certain team going to both the Giro and the Tour. :oops:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Seems a bit harsh to critisise Sky when Omega Pharma-Lotto have only won one race so far this year :D

How can it be they have more CQ Rankings points than those dodgy Eye-Talian teams you favour? :wink:
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    Don't forget the poor old Rabobank team who continue to quietly disappoint their fans on a weekly basis.

One thought on this though...It's not fair to dangle the carrot of GT participation infront of the little teams as it makes them try much harder than the 'regulars' and gives an odd flavour to these early race results...
    Half man, Half bike
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,542
    Ridgerider wrote:
    Don't forget the poor old Rabobank team who continue to quietly disappoint their fans on a weekly basis.

Yeah, a Milan-San Remo victory really disappoints fans.
  • blazing_saddles
    iainf72 wrote:

How can it be they have more CQ Rankings points than those dodgy Eye-Talian teams you favour? :wink:

Not sure which dodgy Eyetalian team you are referring to, but I'll guess you are pointing the finger at Ceramica Cobra again.
    Had to laugh when I checked with CQ. I see that nice Mr "Clean" Savio's lot are ahead of Evan's helpus.

Lotto actually well up there, just behind the team I do favour and should be Touring.

11. Ned Vacansoleil Pro Cycling Team PROF 2096
    12. Bel OmegaPharma - Lotto PRT 1861
    13. Gbr Sky Professional Cycling Team PRT 1837
    21. Ita Serramenti PVC Diquigiovanni PROF 1513
    23. Esp Footon - Servetto PRT 1245
    24. Usa BMC Racing Team PROF 1212
    25. Ita ISD - Neri PROF 1073
  • iainf72
    Vacansoleil are going to do what - Some random breakaways? Can you honestly tell me if you organised races you'd prefer some breakaway jockey over a GC contender?

Savio's guys have won some decent races.
  • blazing_saddles
    iainf72 wrote:
    Vacansoleil are going to do what - Some random breakaways? Can you honestly tell me if you organised races you'd prefer some breakaway jockey over a GC contender?

In all honesty, I'd like the benefit of foresight, to answer that.
    He may have what it takes to contest, but I'm not sure the dozen domestique they will use, are up to the mark.
    Vacansoleil haven't put a foot wrong this season.
  • iainf72

In all honesty, I'd like the benefit of foresight, to answer that.
    He may have what it takes to contest, but I'm not sure the dozen domestique they will use, are up to the mark.

They looked OK a few times in T-A.

I don't disagree with you entirely - They could do with some more and with AB and MS out of action for now it's not helping.

Have you noticed Astana are turning out to be not-such-a-crappy-team.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,542
    FYI, there's a long 10 minute interview post Amstel Gold with the head of the company who sponsors Omega pharma, though, naturally, it's in Dutch:

http://www.sporza.be/permalink/1.763198

It's a nice sponsors' perspective. Nothing really exciting, but more interesting.

Things got most exciting when he was asked "as a sponsor, would you rather Boonen or Gilbert?"

You can imagine answer he gave.