iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited April 2010 in Pro race
A bit of his analysis

http://www.53x12.com/do/show?page=indepth.view&id=109

The Chin-Monsters numbers are mind boggeling

And another pop at passport type things

http://www.53x12.com/do/show?page=article&id=77
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,776
    edited April 2010
    yeah the proportional to area thing is a bit misleading as for any given speed with all things being equal a rider who presents 10% more area to the wind has to output 20% more power for the same speed

cancellara=1 1X1=1

boonen=1.1 1.1X1.1=1.21

ie if Boonen was 10% less aero than cancellara he would need to push out 20% more power than cancellara for the same speed..

the question is how less aerodynamic is Tom?

if they both presented the same area to the wind then yes Ferrari would be correct..

what the actual numbers are is a little bit more complicated than that...I also find his expert explanation a tad childish if not underwhelming for a supposed guru.

all that aside Cancellara was clearly outputting a f@ckton of watts..but that doesn't take an expert to see
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    No mention of the electrically assisted bike? :wink:
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • mididoctors
    Timoid. wrote:
    No mention of the electrically assisted bike? :wink:

special clients only
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    He was famous for making a rider's blood thicker.

:idea: Surely thicker blood means more iron, so could place some sort of magnet inside the bike that pulses to help the rider's legs move up and down?
  • mididoctors
    Kléber wrote:
    He was famous for making a rider's blood thicker.

:idea: Surely thicker blood means more iron, so could place some sort of magnet inside the bike that pulses to help the rider's legs move up and down?

no matter how hard you try to get out they drag you back in...

right I'm off to fit Piezoelectric elastomers to "ma" bike

later
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    yeah the proportional to area thing is a bit misleading as for any given speed with all things being equal a rider who presents 10% more area to the wind has to output 20% more power for the same speed

cancellara=1 1X1=1

boonen=1.1 1.1X1.1=1.21

ie if Boonen was 10% less aero than cancellara he would need to push out 20% more power than cancellara for the same speed..

the question is how less aerodynamic is Tom?

if they both presented the same area to the wind then yes Ferrari would be correct..

Power is directly proportional to (area * drag) so if Tom is 10% less aero, he needs to produce 10% more power for the same speed

What might catch Tom is that the he's probably caught with both a larger area AND a poorer drag coefficient. If he is higher by 10% than Chinny in both components, then he needs to produce 21% more oomph to keep up.

Alternatively he could just fill his frame with iron and install a large magnet in the boot of the lead car.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • mididoctors
    LangerDan wrote:
    [

Power is directly proportional to (area * drag) so if Tom is 10% less aero, he needs to produce 10% more power for the same speed

What might catch Tom is that the he's probably caught with both a larger area AND a poorer drag coefficient. If he is higher by 10% than Chinny in both components, then he needs to produce 21% more oomph to keep up.

Alternatively he could just fill his frame with iron and install a large magnet in the boot of the lead car.

actually OSTsss I think your right and I'm wrong
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132

Does that apply to the electric bike too? :shock:
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • mididoctors
    LangerDan wrote:

Does that apply to the electric bike too? :shock:

of course cos i got one .

a_1221.gif
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    Can't you guys just watch the races and enjoy them without resorting to being complete and utter dorks about it??

Leave the science to the nerds!
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Can't you guys just watch the races and enjoy them without resorting to being complete and utter dorks about it??

You say that as if cycling fans, utter dorks and science nerds are all mutually exclusive...
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167

No.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    afx237vi wrote:

You say that as if cycling fans, utter dorks and science nerds are all mutually exclusive...

I'm with the monkey on this one.

Although I prefer the term geek to nerd.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • Timoid. wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

I'm with the monkey on this one.

Although I prefer the term geek to nerd.

Where do Gleeks fit into all this?
  • rockmount
    rockmount Posts: 761
    Posting links to Dr Evil surely means you are a doper !
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    rockmount wrote:
    Posting links to Dr Evil surely means you are a doper !

Can't be a doper if you're hardly a cyclist son :wink:
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    More bull$hit science to justify miraculous gains in performance?
    Like:
    Significant weight loss (allegedly)...
    or
    Unprecendented improvements in VO2 max
    or
    Faster cadence generate more power?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..