Icelandic dust cloud - Disruption to European race calendar

paulcuthbert
paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
edited April 2010 in Pro race
Is this crazy shit with all the dust gonna affect the European race calendar?

Comments

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Nah.

On the continent you can just drive.

Anyone States-side may have problems though.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Home advantage.

11hrs in the car for some riders means a day without cycling.

Like the old days.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Contador left 2 hours after his victory in CYL today.

He's driving to Pau, train to Paris and then driving to Liege and will be on the start at Fleche on Wednesday
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    Freire drove 500+ miles to be at the start of Amstel. Even Valverde will be driving/training it to LBL. If it keeps erupting through the summer, though, things could be interesting
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I wonder if this will make GT organisers reconsider some of their insane transfers in the future. Imagine the Giro had started and you had to transfer the whole race from Holland to Italy with no flights.

Or if the insanity of starting the race in DC goes ahead....
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    The Giro transfer could still become a major headache, given that nobody knows how long this eruption will last. Less than 3 weeks......
    What about California?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    Isn't the main problem with the long drives is that the riders can't strech their legs on the bike for a couple hours?

I doubt sitting in a car for 11hrs is good prep for a race.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Isn't the main problem with the long drives is that the riders can't strech their legs on the bike for a couple hours?

In a nutshell.
  • This has kind of shown us how much we rely on planes to get around, hasn't it. It was a strange sight on Saturday to see not only no clouds in the sky (strange enough in itself!) but also no plane trails. Just a thought
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016

Surely they could all take turns at drafting motorbikes. Contador might know something about that already...
  • Gingerflash
    Gingerflash Posts: 239
    This weekend the Mountain Bike World Cup is at Dalby, Yorkshire. I reckon a lot of riders will be missing.
  • rick_chasey

Surely they could all take turns at drafting motorbikes. Contador might know something about that already...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bordeaux%E2%80%93Paris
  • Eddy Plankaert never used a plane and it didn't do him any harm!
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    I believe Heras will be on the startline in Liege atop his Brompton S2, whilst Bertie will be praying he can find a decathalon open Sunday AM in Belgium. No way French porters will let that Spesh on withouta 6 month advance booking.

Strava is not Zen.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    As hard as car-travel can be, any riders who whinge about it should remember there's a long queue of amateur riders who will gladly take their place :wink: