Alberto's disease

csp
csp Posts: 777
edited April 2010 in Pro race
I was looking at the results of Contador and noticed that in 2004 he had only one victory, and found that the reason for that was a disease called Cavernous hemangioma. From Wikipedia:
Contador turned professional in 2003 for ONCE-Eroski. In his first year as a professional he won the eighth stage of the Tour de Pologne, an individual time trial. During the first stage of the 2004 Vuelta a Asturias he started to feel unwell, and after 40 kilometers he fell and went into convulsions. He had been suffering from headaches for several days beforehand and was diagnosed with a cerebral cavernoma, a congenital vascular disorder, for which he underwent risky surgery and a recovery to get back on his bike.[2] As a result of the surgery, he has a scar that runs from one ear to the other over the top of his head.[12] Contador started to train again at the end of 2004 and eight months after the surgery he won the fifth stage of the 2005 Tour Down Under racing for Liberty Seguros, as the team previously known as ONCE had become.[9]
I have never heard about this before, which is strange as it is not dissimilar to Armstrong's story.

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,542
    csp wrote:
    I was looking at the results of Contador and noticed that in 2004 he had only one victory, and found that the reason for that was a disease called Cavernous hemangioma. From Wikipedia:
    Contador turned professional in 2003 for ONCE-Eroski. In his first year as a professional he won the eighth stage of the Tour de Pologne, an individual time trial. During the first stage of the 2004 Vuelta a Asturias he started to feel unwell, and after 40 kilometers he fell and went into convulsions. He had been suffering from headaches for several days beforehand and was diagnosed with a cerebral cavernoma, a congenital vascular disorder, for which he underwent risky surgery and a recovery to get back on his bike.[2] As a result of the surgery, he has a scar that runs from one ear to the other over the top of his head.[12] Contador started to train again at the end of 2004 and eight months after the surgery he won the fifth stage of the 2005 Tour Down Under racing for Liberty Seguros, as the team previously known as ONCE had become.[9]
    I have never heard about this before, which is strange as it is not dissimilar to Armstrong's story.

Alberto-Contador.jpg

Can still see the scar in his hairline.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Yes that was pretty nasty. Apparently he takes medicine daily to prevent epiletic fits and has to visit a neurologist fairly regularly. He also has titanium plates in his head.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    610x-25.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    I believe his brother is also affected much more severely and AC makes sure he's well cared for.

Contador maintains that his greatest pro victory was the stage he won in the TDU after he came back to the sport. It is quite an extraordinary story - I gather he nearly died as the result of the brain haemorrhage.

All of the above is why I find it hard to take some people's opinion of his personality seriously :wink:
  • He also has titanium plates in his head.

I thought you said he'd not used PEDs? He's clearly getting help from his prepatore The Terminator!
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    micron wrote:

All of the above is why I find it hard to take some people's opinion of his personality seriously :wink:

I know, it's as crazy as suggesting a cancer survivor would take PEDs :lol:
  • Gingerflash
    Gingerflash Posts: 239
    A haemangioma isn't a heamorrhage. It's just a swelling of a blood vessel. It's not a disease, it's just a malformation he probably had since birth. His surgery might have been risky and it would have been dangerous if the haemagnioma had burst, but it didn't. It's pushing it a bit to say that he nearly died.

His younger brother has cerebral plasy, nothing to do with haemangiomas.
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    A haemangioma isn't a heamorrhage. It's just a swelling of a blood vessel. It's not a disease, it's just a malformation he probably had since birth. His surgery might have been risky and it would have been dangerous if the haemagnioma had burst, but it didn't. It's pushing it a bit to say that he nearly died.

His younger brother has cerebral plasy, nothing to do with haemangiomas.

Sorry, clearly forgot that only one pro cyclist is allowed to have been close to death :roll:

AC's condition caused a well documented brain haemorrhage followed by surgery: http://www.albertocontadornotebook.info ... kspec.html

Thanks however for the precision re: his younger brother's condition
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    dougzz wrote:
    micron wrote:

I just cannot let that one slip by.
    Contador was young (he aint old now) and a very talented racing cyclist that had a Death defying operation on his head.
    I well remember the interviews about how close to death he was.

The Texan was an above average racing cyclist (and no more) that pulled out of the 1996 TDF with a complaint of "Lack of Form" and went home for a check up.
    He too had an operation and Kymo much the same as thousands of women have a Breast removed and the only one I know is a Celebrity is Kylie.
    They do not go round boasting about their misfortune.
    Oh it's the awareness he promotes but are you any more educated by this awareness and how the disease eats into the body causing more excruciating pain each day until you die. I just see a healthy guy at the age of 38 finish a TDF and making money with other peoples misfortune. Awareness B*ll*x.
    Now in 1996 (with the rain and rain) another above average rider shoots up a mountain like he could never do before and wins that TDF.
    Three years later 1999 the texan minus a body part (I am told) repeats the same feat of the other above average rider and shoots up another mountain to win the TDF.
    Both were only capable of winning (and sometimes loosing) a transition stage of the TDF before, nothing more.

How dare you even attempt to compare the operations of these two racing cyclists with snide remarks.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • Vino2007
    Vino2007 Posts: 340
    deejay wrote:
    dougzz wrote:
    micron wrote:

I just cannot let that one slip by.
    Contador was young (he aint old now) and a very talented racing cyclist that had a Death defying operation on his head.
    I well remember the interviews about how close to death he was.

The Texan was an above average racing cyclist (and no more) that pulled out of the 1996 TDF with a complaint of "Lack of Form" and went home for a check up.
    He too had an operation and Kymo much the same as thousands of women have a Breast removed and the only one I know is a Celebrity is Kylie.
    They do not go round boasting about their misfortune.
    Oh it's the awareness he promotes but are you any more educated by this awareness and how the disease eats into the body causing more excruciating pain each day until you die. I just see a healthy guy at the age of 38 finish a TDF and making money with other peoples misfortune. Awareness B*ll*x.
    Now in 1996 (with the rain and rain) another above average rider shoots up a mountain like he could never do before and wins that TDF.
    Three years later 1999 the texan minus a body part (I am told) repeats the same feat of the other above average rider and shoots up another mountain to win the TDF.
    Both were only capable of winning (and sometimes loosing) a transition stage of the TDF before, nothing more.

How dare you even attempt to compare the operations of these two racing cyclists with snide remarks.

What a noob! It's not even worth telling you how wrong you are. You should read up on pro cycling history before lecturing others. "How dare you" :D
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    edited April 2010
    deejay wrote:

I know you hate LA and would most probably have prefered him to have died but Lance's chances of survival were slim given that cancer had spread to his brain and lungs. Maybe you ought to bear that mind instead of foaming at the mouth.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    deejay wrote:

I double dare my right to say what the feck I like ;)
  • deejay
    Moray Gub wrote:
    I know you hate LA and would most probably have prefered him to have died but Lance's chances of survival were slim given that cancer had spread to his brain and lungs. Maybe you ought to bear that mind instead of foaming at the mouth.
    Hate, I don't go that far, as I love to see a Magician at work but I have absolutely No respect for the cyclist. (sorry he is a Bicyclist)
    deejay wrote:
    I just see a healthy guy at the age of 38 finish a TDF
    Awareness B*ll*x
    dougzz wrote:
    I double dare my right to say what the feck I like :wink:
    Of course you do, sweetie. (that of course was a WU) :lol:

That's why 70 years ago this little Island became the last European outpost of Free Speech and Freedom. :roll:
  • DavMartinR
    DavMartinR Posts: 897
    Just out of intrests how much of the cancer did LA have on his lungs? Can the lungs heal themselves? Or would he have permenent lings damage?
  • Verbal
    Verbal Posts: 100
    He was given a choice with his chemo apparently. There was a less agressive kind that would damage his lungs or he could go for the more agressive kind which wouldn't affect his lungs thereby giving hope that he could resume his career unaffected. He chose the latter.

Whatever anyone thinks of the man you have to doff your cap to him because anyone who has had chemo or has loved ones who have gone through it will know that its not a pleasant experience. To choose a more agressive kind in order to give you a small chance of resuming your career takes balls. Or in this case, ball.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    comparing both illnesses is stupid. Both were life threatening, the biggest difference is that contador is somewhat a quiet guy and la is a loud yankee.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • deejay
    Verbal wrote:
    Whatever anyone thinks of the man you have to doff your cap to him because anyone who has had chemo or has loved ones who have gone through it will know that its not a pleasant experience. To choose a more agressive kind in order to give you a small chance of resuming your career takes balls. Or in this case, ball.
    I have no argument at all and agree wholeheartedly
    To have had Friends (some close) and associates who have suffered so much and some that have lost the battle is the reason I am so bitter and know I am dammed Lucky.
    I only had 37 stitches in my fractured forehead caused by a motorist. yes I'm dammed Lucky.
    It is the man after his chemo that annoys me as he seems to Flaunt the memories of my past comrades.
    He stopped in the TDF July 1996 and took 4th place overall in the 1998 Vuelta which is a quick turn round to those I have witnessed in extreme pain and suffering
    Then in 1999 the Magician appeared and everywhere sane people are asking "How did he do that" with all the pet theories that are banded about and still nobody knows.
    Part of the Act isn't it that a good Magician never reveals how the trick is done but it is a trick and that it is a clever trick to fool most of the world.

Gub, how can you Hate a good Magician.???
    I am as puzzled as everyone else but the entertainment value has long since gone'
    I will ask as I don't attend his class.
    Where is he now. ??

A child on here (Vino 2007) thinks I am a noob (whatever that is) and I should read about Pro cycling history but having seen Fuasto Coppi at Herne Hill and Reg Harris v Adrie Van Vliet twice in one day put on a Professional show at both meetings.
    To have been at Flanders to see Tom Simpson v Rik van Looy (they both lost that day) and ever since to have stood (or mingled at the start) of so many Continental Cycle Races on flat roads and mountains in wind rain and Snow. (besides my domestic cycle race duties in whatever form)
    By christ did it blow at KBK this year and tomorrow I hope to be in HUY and Sunday on St Nick. (3 bridges.?? you work it out)
    Why I don't seem to get much time for reading books these days and due to the motorist I had to take early retirement (that is employment and long distance cycling) and as such there is not enough time to read books, it's all on here now.
    Keep your eyes open and the wheels turning and if the weather holds fine then I might be poodling a bike along the banks of the Rhine this week and the Koblenz beer. (or the Meuse, perhaps the Mosel but not hilly)
    Must finish my work here though. :lol:
  • frenchfighter
    Deejay you certainly are on the same sort of track as my thoughts.

Sorry to hear of early retirement from work and riding. I hope you enjoy watching the races coming up.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    :roll: :roll:
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    gabriel959 wrote:
    la is a loud yankee.

Mmm sorry he aint. He's a loud Texan - it's a different thing altogether. :)
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • moray_gub
    Deejay you certainly are on the same sort of track as my thoughts.

If i was Deejay that would worry me !
  • moray_gub
    edited April 2010
    deejay wrote:
    ed Lucky.
    I only had 37 stitches in my fractured forehead caused by a motorist. yes I'm dammed Lucky.
    It is the man after his chemo that annoys me as he seems to Flaunt the memories of my past comrades.
    He stopped in the TDF July 1996 and took 4th place overall in the 1998 Vuelta which is a quick turn round to those I have witnessed in extreme pain and suffering
    Then in 1999 the Magician appeared and everywhere sane people are asking "How did he do that" with all the pet theories that are banded about and still nobody knows.
    Part of the Act isn't it that a good Magician never reveals how the trick is done but it is a trick and that it is a clever trick to fool most of the world.

Gub, how can you Hate a good Magician.???
    I am as puzzled as everyone else but the entertainment value has long since gone'
    I will ask as I don't attend his class.
    Where is he now. ??

He flaunts the memories of your past comrades ? Come on what kind of nonsense is that ffs every one of us who posts on here has probably has a relative or friend that had the disease but dont get all bitter like that at your age you need to let it go. You obviously dont realise how ridiculous you are coming across here and it speaks volumes that the resident clown agrees with you.
  • moray_gub
    gabriel959 wrote:
    comparing both illnesses is stupid. Both were life threatening, the biggest difference is that contador is somewhat a quiet guy and la is a loud yankee.

Quiet guy he may be but he needs to sort out his ludicrous ads and his penchant for ladyboy cycling gear and that pistolero sh ite............oh and the nursery kid putting insulating tape on his bike.................other than that he is cool :wink:
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    "oh and the nursery kid putting insulating tape on his bike.................other than that he is cool"

He's as cool as a courgette trying to be a cucumber. He did What with a nursery kid?
  • moray_gub
    Tusher wrote:
    "oh and the nursery kid putting insulating tape on his bike.................other than that he is cool"

He's as cool as a courgette trying to be a cucumber. He did What with a nursery kid?

He didn't do anything to a nursey kid other than let the little devil decorate his bike

ac620bf291_f.jpg
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Doh! Of course.
    There can be no other explanation.