Removing the Rear Casette

Graydawg
Graydawg Posts: 673
edited April 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey everyone. I'm needing to buy the tool for removing the casette so I need to get the lockring socket in order to take the casette.

From what I can tell there is 2 different ones, some with a guide pin and some without. In your opinions, which is the better one to go for? Does it make much of a difference having the guide pin? I have seen a Chain Whip and casette lockring socket for £6 on good old Ebay!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SHIMANO-HG-FREEWHEEL-CASSETTE-REMOVER-TOOL-BIKE-9715A_W0QQitemZ150414957114QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Spots_Leisure_Cycling_Tools_RepairKits?hash=item23056e1a3a

Thanks
It's been a while...

Comments

• JimmerG
    JimmerG Posts: 143
    Graydawg,

I've been removing cassettes for years - and never used anything other than the tool shown on your Ebay link.

I'm assuming the one you've shown doesn't have a guide pin - in which case I'd suggest you really don't need one.

Take out the quick release skewer, wrap the chainwhip round one of the bigger cogs stick the cassette tool in and apply hard but controlled pressure and it should go with ease.

J
  • Graydawg
    Fantastic thanks! I have bought it, for £7 you can't really go wrong!
    It's been a while...
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    well the one with a guide pin is not usable on all shimano pattern cassettes and also does not do anything with some hubs.

for me it comes down to what I find first.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Graydawg
    Yeah Nick it's a Shimano HG50 9sp casette so not sure but that one doesn't have a guide pin so should be ok either way....
    It's been a while...
  • nicklouse
    like i said it does not matter.

if the axle is solid or hollow a guide pin is worthless/unusable.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • jsdvtr03
    jsdvtr03 Posts: 70
    What about removing single speed cassette as i need too to fit my 9speed cassette.
  • nicklouse
    jsdvtr03
    is it a SS kit on a Cassette hub? same stuff as mentioned above.
  • jsdvtr03
    jsdvtr03 Posts: 70
    nicklouse wrote:
    jsdvtr03
    is it a SS kit on a Cassette hub? same stuff as mentioned above.

Its a 24/7 conversion kit which came on the wheel i got with my old the bike.