Lee Quarry. Its the SHIZZLE!!!!

bobcheese
bobcheese Posts: 343
edited April 2010 in Routes
Been to Lee Quarry today for the first time. All I can say is WOW! big thumbs up to all involved in the development and design it is top notch.
There are some real lung busting climbs there but you are well rewarded and the new sections had my bum twitching (red route). Practice area and pump track are nice touches too.

Out of interset how many of you guys who have been there can actually manage the climb up to the start of the red route without getting off and pushing? just want to assess my pussyness :wink:

Comments

• gonga
    gonga Posts: 225
    I managed the climb on both trips to the shizzle! :D
    Slow, steady and granny ringed up :lol:

I agree that the quarry is great fun and offers something different to the usual 18 km red routes with only a few fun bits thrown in.

I can't wait to get back up there!!!!! :D
  • John Moore
    John Moore Posts: 580
    We were up there today between 10.30 and 3, it's great.

At the top of the quarry above the skills area where you have the choice of 3 routes (Black on the left, Red and red) the red in the middle is the best run of the lot.

Did you ride down into the depths of the quarry on the rocky black section and then onto the pump track.

BTW I ride the climbs on my single speed apart from pushing up to the above platform area what with that head wind today.

Here's my shot of the day from Lee Quarry
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/25655510@N ... toeveryday
  • TonyL2
    TonyL2 Posts: 12
    Glad you like it, we have tried to put lots of good stuff in a compact area with the idea you can build on your skills rather than just get the miles in. It seems to work well being able to do the same sections a few times.

That being said we are building some more trails at a couple of other quarries in the area which we will then link with routes over the moors. Keep your eyes on Singletrack web site for updates.

Great Rock is currently running skills courses in the quarry so if you want help getting to grips with any of the sections have a look at his Stop Crashing at Lee Quarry courses.

We have some events coming up in the quarry soon, Brownbacks cross country racing will be returning soon check out their web site. Also we will be having another Singletrack Weekender there July 3rd and 4th a bit of trails, downhill lite and an xc race you do all three over the weekend on the same bike. Camping in the quarry included if don't mind racing with a hangover on the Sunday! Entries available on the Singletrack site.
  • TonyL2
    TonyL2 Posts: 12
    Nearly forgot the climb is fine! And if you don't get it first time keep trying!
  • bobcheese
    Dont worry Tony i'll get there! :oops:

@ John Moore - I agree the middle red is my favorite as well. Those berms are massive and tight to boot.
  • John Moore
    John Moore Posts: 580
    bobcheese - ref climbing the only climb I can't do on the SS is the sharp left on the loose rocks just before the black rejoins the red.

We chatted to a few riders in groups, was that you or were you on your own?
    A couple of us had white and red tops on and Karen was showing us how to ride the techie stuff properly ;-)
  • aguesty1
    aguesty1 Posts: 97
    Lee quarry was fantastic today, spent 3 hours up there. The new sections are great including the new black berms section, did the two red berm sections as well. Only comment I would make was that at the bottom of the black and 2 reds near the sea saw there needs to be some no entry signs. I know it should be common sense but there was a group of three that decided to nob about ridin up the middle red despite seein numerous people riding down. We politely warned them and just got attitude, shame as it was for their own and others safety. Other than that gripe what a fantasic day, can't wait for cragg to be complete as that is even closer to me! :)
  • bobcheese
    John - I was on my own. Where you in a big group? As I was packing up there was a big group come down to the carpark.

aguesty - I know what you mean. I got a bit lost around that area myself as I went up the fireroad to the new section and then came down the red route but when I ended up at the play area again I wasn't sure which way to carry on the red run. The signs are a little confusing around there as there are red signs pointing you up the middle of where the new red runs and the black run exit onto the practice area. From what I read the signs are temp so I imagine they will be sorted before too long. Suppose its confusing for anyone until you have done it once.
  • Yukon Boy
    Yukon Boy Posts: 70
    I was there with my mate today and we had another awesome ride (with hangovers!) We were chatting to the guy in the yellow top whilst everyone was packing up in the car park. Didn't catch your name but good advice on the Pikes/Revs forks!

Was great to see Tony there - cheers for all the hard work!

And saw the very distinctive looking Ed Oxley and got a bit starstruck!! Awesome beard!
  • I was up at the Quarry on Sunday. I was also there about 5 weeks ago, I can honestly say I am well impressed with how good it is now and how quickly the new section has been built. As said though the signs were a bit hit and miss in parts.
    If the other quarry's are to a similar standard to lee quarry then I think they're on to a winner tbh. :)
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Wow :shock:

Finally got my lardy arse off the sofa and freewheeled down to the quarry. Nice new introductory single track, I will be cleaning the climb before the end of the Summer. The new descent lines are excellent, particularly the middle red. Never seen the point in going back up to re-ride something in the past. Went up and down 5 times today. The blacks not too bad either, just one berm in the middle I kept fluffing up. Oh well an excuse to go back and practice some more.

The police were sat in a Land Rover next to the skills area. Apparently they nabbed 14 off road motorbikes last weekend. Surprisingly it was rather quiet in the quarry today although 2 knobs did zoom along the top section and back onto the open moor after the police had gone. The helicopter was up today as well. Seems like a number of different forces have joined together to tackle the MXers. Big up to the police for their efforts.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,978
    Rode the new stuff a week or so ago but I'm not sure how to take it, I just dont think it flows very well. The last sections are still the best bits IMO.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • stumpyjon
    Thde new descent lines are a bit short granted, after having (alot of) fun riding them I did find the old red was still pretty good for it's longevity of nothing else.

• gonga
    gonga Posts: 225
    Went up again today and had a good look round,
    I managed to find a couple of bits i missed the week before.
    After searching for info on the new bits i came across this info;

New skills areas/sections which will include

The Drop line 150m long 3m wide will have three ability levels side by side enabling riders to learn how to ride drops of different sizes and difficulty.

The Berm Track 180m long 1m wide eleven consecutive berms (and nothing else!)

The Pump Track 120m long 0.7m wide pump line on a gradient

Black graded progressive skills line 250m long 1 to 2 m wide rock drops, table tops, rollers, berms all on the same track (i.e. putting everything learnt on the above three tracks in to practice)

Black graded expert line 250m long 1m wide similar to the line above but with even more challenges.

Pump track figure of eight pump track built on flat section start finish at the same point.

Is there a berm track?
    Is the drop line the 3 new red and one black decents with the biggished berms on the middle red?

Are there any details anywhere on cragg quarry?
  • stumpyjon
    Guided ride around Cragg on May the 1st. Being guided by Ed Oxley who helped build it. More details here.

• delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    was up lee quarry last weekend and there were loads of motorbikes up there some kind of old school trials event..

leequarry is getting better and better all the time,...
    have the trails at crag quarry started to be built yet.
  • stumpyjon
    The event was a sanctionned one, all legit. The trails in Cragg are all finished although not sign posted. I've sent you a pm with route access, hope it makes sense.

• bobinho
    bobinho Posts: 28
    Trails at cragg quarry have been built,was up there yesterday for a ride round,
    very impressed! No signage up yet but pretty easy to follow the trail.
    Lots of short ups and downs,berms,tight and twisty, quite different to Lee Quarry.
    Well worth a visit
  • bobcheese
    Stumpy, can you send me the info on route access? I can't find anything on t'internet.
  • stumpyjon
    I did this map last night. The blue route is the legal MTL bridleway up but is a pig of a climb (great descent though), the red has some footpath but is significantly easier.

p4pb4906223.jpg

Both routes start from the Buck Inn (always good to start and end at the pub).