Marin Stelvio

NRS_Comp1
NRS_Comp1 Posts: 63
edited April 2010 in Road buying advice
I have the possibility of buying a brand new 2010 Dura Ace Marin Stelvio from a friend but I've only read one review about the bike (it was a quite positive review). I was wondering if any of you guys tried or own the full carbon model from either this year or last year. Any comments on the ride this bike provide ? I will race this bike . Thanx for your comments.

Cheers!

Comments

• NRS_Comp1
    Anyone ?
  • zgargar
    zgargar Posts: 4
    Let me know if you still need this answered. I am proud new owner of a 2010 Stelvio. Had it a month now logged about 600 miles...what a ride.
  • NRS_Comp1
    Well I've finally decided to buy the bike. I've done one ride on it so far and I must say it's a very different ride than my old aluminum giant TCR. Although I might need some time to get used to the geometry. Is it just me but the top tube is way short and the front end of the bike feels pretty high? I've yet to find a decent position on the bike, Did you have any issue of positioning with switching to this bike ?

Cheers!
  • zgargar
    Did you have a more upright, relaxed fit before? What direction is your head; did you know you can flip it to get a more aggressive/relaxed position? I would consider being professionally fit, especially if this is the first time you're riding a pro-geometry style bike. It may make the difference.
    I find the ride to fit well. I have a 55. Have you changed saddles and position?
  • NRS_Comp1
    Well to answer your question I actually used to be more stretch out on my old bike (compact geometry) so I had a 50cm but the Top top was actually 55cm. On the stelvio I have a 53 but the top tupe is about 53cm. Like I said I've ridden it only ounce but I know my saddle height and position is good. I'll try reversing the stem first. I guess I will have to put a longer stem on it since the one one is only 100mm. Anyways I'm sure I'll find a good position on it. Beside that I must say it looks to be a great bike. How is your bike equipped ? Have you change anything on it ?
  • zgargar
    That may be the ticket for you...
    ...I got the Ultegra and am happy with it. I like the paint scheme better than the DuraAce blue. (no offense)
    I changed out the saddle for the Selle Itallia Max Flite gel...that was a nice move from the stock Selle Itallia it came with. Other than that I upgraded my Look Keo peddles to the Carbon version. The carbon water bottle holders I got were only 30g each. The aluminum one I had before was 60g each! I saved some weight there!
    My next upgrade will be a Power Tap...the spoke Mavic that comes in the rear may force me to buy it directly from Cycleops dealer, but i may upgrade to the Mavic wheelset that already has it built in. But at 2k, I may just purchase the rear hub since I already have a garmin.
    Funny thing is I really don't notice a change going downhill, but the Stelvio seems to be made for climbing. I have already PR'd climbs from my peak fitness last season. I can;t wait to get it out on Mt. Diablo in the next couple of weeks.
  • NRS_Comp1
    I would have to agree with you the bike does climb amazingly well. I also have new dura-ace 7850 carbon clincher on the bike and they are worth a look if you want light clinchers for racing. Anyways I've yet to see another marin stelvio on the road. I wonder why since they are pretty cheap and seems to be great bike for the money.
  • zgargar
    For the price, you get more bike than Trek, or any other "Big" brand. I think people generally associate Marin with MTB. However, they put out a quality road machine. I am pleased with the bike and have turned heads on every ride. People from my club are already considering making the change...
    ...good to know about the clinchers. thanks. I don't know where you're at, but it is gorgeous in the Bay Area...I will be on the saddle in about 3 hours and counting!
  • NRS_Comp1
    Lucky you I live in Canada and it's still pretty cold here. Can't wait to finish school so I can enjoy riding season. Thanx for your input and have a great season. Hopefully we'll make people switch from over expensive trek and specialized to Marin bikes !

Cheers!