One Bike

RealMan
RealMan Posts: 2,166
edited April 2010 in MTB general
So you're only allowed one bike for the rest of your life - what will it be?

Can be any bike in the world.

A cyclocross bike - for everything? A big dh bike, cause all you care about are the downs? A bmx, cause they're just so much fun? Or maybe just a commuter, because they're so practical? Or maybe even a road bike, because uhhh.. they're really fast..?

Something tells me I'd regret picking my chameleon. Probably the same something that hates having to walk places cause its so slow. I'm just not dumb enough to risk getting it nicked, riding it down to the shops or a mates house or something - especially if it was my only bike.

And for all you boring people out there - there is actually a point to this thread! Going off to uni in a few months, and I have a feeling I may only be able to take one bike with me.. :(

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    This has been asked about 100 times - go and search for the threads ;-)
  • RealMan
    Search found 13993 matches

Never was a fan of the search lol, its really slow as well.

So anyone who doesn't have any time, tell me to do a search (then go back to work). Anyone else, help me out with some ideas.. :D
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Which uni?

Some are pretty cool for bikes, but you need to have it insured whatever.

If i could only have one for oxford it'd probably be my pompino, because it's the most useful, and with cx tyres i can do most of the off-road around here!
  • RealMan
    Exeter, hopefully. Those pompinos do look nice.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    any good mtbing round there?

If so a long travel hardtail with a spare set of wheels wearing slick tyres for the week and keep your good wheels for the weekends. It'll be pretty fast but still fun, good insurance/keeping the bike indoors wherever you are.
  • projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    supersonic wrote:
    This has been asked about 100 times - go and search for the threads ;-)

and I've not answered a single one :shock:

but to answer the question it would be a Hardtail.
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • furby
    furby Posts: 200
    Some sort of AM bike, might not be great at somethings, but not much that it wont do.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    a zesty with 2011 fox 32 floats, CB double barrel ti, formula the ones and full 2011 sram x0 groupset ......... so basically the bike im getting at the end of they year :D
  • RealMan
    Personally I think I've asked a trick question here.

The correct answer is mountain bike kept in the corner of the room, road bike under the bed, bmx in the wardrobe (I reckon it will fit, and clothes can go on the floor).

Could you all really live with just one bike?
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    You cant have only one bike or you'll be overbiked and thats bad.
  • One Bike??????????????????????????????????

Hmmmmm I think that would be about the day we where only allowed one beer after a ride :twisted:

If I could have one bike I'd take my Prophet [I presume we can add and swap components =D ]

For me it's a bike for just about everything, DH it can handle most stuff not the extreme end but with a quick change of angle and say my domains Im ready to ride down anything.

Jumping not so much my bag but with my air pikes light enough to get it up and thats the same for XC light enough to blast around and tough enough to get an edge on any decents.

Road riding I thought was illegal *shrugs* but a set of slicks airs and higher angle bumph Im away not as fast or hard as a road bike but decent enough pace with a good setup.

It's just for me awesome if I haven't got a setup for what I happen to be doing it always comes through.

I guess 4X would suck on it though lol.

:)
    I use all 9 inches.

Sabrina
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    A Unicycle

One tire, minimal moving parts, goes anywhere and low theft risk

/thread.....
  • RealMan
    Maybe, but I'm not very good on my unicycle yet, so it takes me a while to get anywhere. And on a normal bike, if someone nicks your seatpost + saddle you can still get home. Bit harder with a unicycle.

Also, legally, a unicycle isn't classed as a bike.

(which means I get to take it as well as my bike..)
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I'm sure I could, I got on fine with "just" my Soul. Though I'd miss the big bike for the sillier stuff. I guess maybe I'd end up looking for a single, harder hitting hardtail now that I've had a taste for descending overconfidence. But it wouldn't be a hardship I reckon.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    errrrrrr........ give me a moment.......................

err one bike...............

sorry does not compute.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • RealMan
    nicklouse wrote:
    errrrrrr........ give me a moment.......................

err one bike...............

sorry does not compute.

+1
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    i couldn't have just one bike for the rest of my life. well i have one but another build is being planned for next year and then another and then another...you get the idea
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Ti hard tail 100m Travel and maximum components ever made
  • RealMan
    Ti isn't a bad choice for a bike for life actually. I'd want more then 100mm though.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    RealMan wrote:
    Ti isn't a bad choice for a bike for life actually. I'd want more then 100mm though.

but what about the sessions in the skate park?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • RealMan
    Just stand at the top of the biggest ramp with it looking cool. That will be enough.

Oh god. Ti bmxs. I'm going to need another pair of trousers and a tissue.

bcbrasilmichel.jpg
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    shortish travel HT. How much are you allowed to swap out? I recommend getting a rat bike if you're uni bound
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • Mickey Eye
    Mickey Eye Posts: 590
    Proper race geometry cross country bike, makes a surprisingly good commuter (says the guy about to buy a CX bike for that), forks with lockout.

PS Realman my bars arrived, they are awesome, thanks for that.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    A 456 with nice but not flash kit. id like to say a uber bike with super bling kit, and this is what i would have if it didnt have to be practicle. not looking too awsome would make it more town friendly, and with the right spec it could still ride ace.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • RealMan
    Mickey Eye wrote:
    PS Realman my bars arrived, they are awesome, thanks for that.

The ritchey wcs ones? Cool. Remember to use carbon paste and shims where you need it, and don't over tighten anything.

Forget all your ideas, you're all wrong. I need a ti bmx.
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    my bike :wink: i live very close to exeter and a good all rounder is the best option there's some pretty good riding to be had in the area.

or a 130mm travel hardtail

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!