issue removing crank bolts/headset removal

lugsey2k5
lugsey2k5 Posts: 960
edited April 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
hello
im trying to remove the bash guard off my xt crank set but 2 of the botls wont come out. the female portion on the thread insert is just spinning with the bold. i don't have a screwdriver big enough to fit on the end. how can i remove this?

secondly is there anyway to remove the CK cups from my frame without the proper tool or LBS trying to do it on the cheap?
thansk for any help

Comments

• red eye
    red eye Posts: 264
    use a knife, you know the one you eat your dinner with just the right thickness :D
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    get a crank bolt tool

A8B3E82F-1D09-7033-84DAC7E03B4E08D5.jpg
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • lugsey2k5
    red eye wins im afraid nick on account his is free. thats assuming it works if not ill buy the tool. i assume buy the look of it its a fairly cheap thing. thanks
  • red eye
    Do I get a prize? :D
  • lugsey2k5
    well see if it works first give me an hour and well see
  • red eye
    lugsey2k5 wrote:

secondly is there anyway to remove the CK cups from my frame without the proper tool or LBS trying to do it on the cheap?
    thansk for any help

headset cups? long drift (long socket extension) and gently tap out, tapping all the way around so it comes out evenly
  • lugsey2k5
    thanks again will have a bash in a bit would help if my workstand wasnt useless.
  • red eye
    you could always hold the frame inbetween your legs :D