Sram VS shimano

lawman
lawman Posts: 6,868
edited April 2010 in MTB general
who do you reckon is winning the gear atm??????

shimano seem to have been rather lazy imo, but sram have really pushed the boat out and i have to say im lovin the new X-0 groupset, looks amazing, obviously shimano havent shown us the new xtr yet, but im still disappointed shimano havent done more tbh, and no 2x10 chainsets either :(

Comments

• SRAM kicks shimano's ASS!

and has done for quite some time.
  • nwmlarge
    nwmlarge Posts: 778
    i'm happier with my x9 mech and x5 shifter with a 850 chain and 890 cassette than i have ever been with any shimano components.

people will swing both ways so this will be come an opinion poll as opposed to a useful comparrision
  • lawman
    ive always been a shimano man tbh, but that all looks set to end now :lol: ive tried but never owned much sram stuff, and ive been impressed, but only ever bought shimano because thats what my bike originally came with.
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    Shimano stuff for me, but the new Sram stuff looks neat 8)
  • I like the idea of the simplicity and greater ground clearance of a 20 speed set up but I'm not sold on the clunky nature of the SRAM shifts compared to the whisper of Shimano (and yes I am using both).

I am surprised that Shimano went to a 30 speed set up given the clamour made about 20 speed. It does look like a decent idea - less gaps between gears, slightly more ground clearance and an easier mental transition for riders.

Cost will come into it though - will a SRAM groupset be cheaper than it's SHIMANO equivalent due to having one less chainring or will you pay the same but get less?
    Scott Genius 08, Marin Rock Springs 08, Marin Pine Mountain 89
  • Tolk
    Tolk Posts: 775
    I'm happy with my 1x9 XT set up. I don't think i could justify/need to switch to a 2x10 or 3x10 set up. So long as it works, and lasts, i couldn't give a toss who made it!

Are SRAM now only making 9 speed in the X6 and lower ranges? And what about Shimano?
  • RichMTB
    RichMTB Posts: 599
    The new XT and SLX groupsets look pretty half arsed to be honest. Lets just stick an extra cog onto the cassette and claim some guff about rear suspension and chainlines because we can't be bothered re-engineering our cranks to make them 2 x 10.

I like some of Shimano's recent stuff, Shadow mechs and their new brakes are excellent but they have missed the boat here.
    Step in to my hut! - Stumpy Jumpy Pacey
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    :roll:
    Craig Rogers
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    *sits back with popcorn* :lol:

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    I like shimano, its just what I've always used, never had huge problems with it. However, it looks like I'm going to be speccing my new road bike with sram, so maybe I will "see the light".

Sram are a bit more interesting, especially with their 2011 range. Unless shimano have 2 x 10 or something XTR they will lose out I think.

Dual ring is definitely the way to go, I think I might sue sram for nicking my idea.. :D
  • SRAM need more Orange in their new line-up though. The distinct lack of Tango in all the pics displeases CWNT greatly!

If no tango flavour is available in the new line-up, someone is cruising for a d-lock to the face.

Needs a Tango XX Groupset.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I suspect many people will go for 10 speed not because of the wider range cassettes, just because it is one more than nine and they must keep up with the latest gear.

Myself, I will be using 8 and 9 speed for a long time yet.

We have yet to see prices of this new kit.
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    if SRAM did low normal I'd give them a go

if Shimano still made quality gruppos in 7sp I might still be using that aswell. for me the tolerances involved in 9sp have meant crunchy gearing faff on an unheard of scale so I can't see swapping to 10sp any time soon. That could be my pink nostalgia glasses kicking in though.

full(ish) range 2x9 (ie not the 2x9+bash trail standard) has been around for ages (que Middleburn arguments, and others I'm sure) but the mainstream rider wanting a full range still uses 3x9. SRAM certainly seem to have caught the imagination with their XX kit and early reports seem to be good (really wanting a set of the XX brakes....) but 2x10 doesn't seem as revolutionary to me as some seem to be suggesting. still, not tried it yet
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    I've generally bought whatever works when the last parts broke. I've generally swapped between the two but never notice much difference
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    The 10-speed Shimano just seems daft. Narrower range on the cranks! WTF? Unless you go with the biggest cassette you end up with 3 more gears but less range. Woo, more overlap! I'm sure some people want that but for most it's just stupid.

Give us that 11-36 XT 9 speed cassette, Shimano, and then **** off :wink: 3x10 isn't progress, it's at best a step sideways but to me it'd be a huge step back from 2x9.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Not got any reason to change from shimano to be honest, I don't need another cog, 9 is fine :-)
    I actually hate the SRAM XX Chainset it looks like something off a £99 catalogue bike, their road stuff looks cack too

Just my opinion 8)
  • mano7042
    mano7042 Posts: 27
    i have full XT on my HT, and X9/X0 on my FS. i cann't really tell much difference, they are both slick, one click, one gear and never miss a beat.

the only + if for my XT shifters are 2 way finger or thumb, which i like and miss on the FS
  • lawman
    hmm this debate could go on for a while :lol: imo i think sram have got it absolutely dead right, same range of gears (pretty much) as 3x9, but less overlap and better ground clearance and from xx reports better front shifting. as for pricing shimano prices have gone through the roof this last year, so sram will quite possibly be cheaper for a given level. i really like the look of the new x0, the shimano stuff is essentially the same as this years, but with a new cassette and very minor mods, but no double chainsets like the original spec list said :( i have full xt on my bike and tbh i find recent sram stuff, x9 and x0 far better imo, it just seems to be so much more positive, and looks far better imo.
  • lawman
    bloody nora the prices on PB :shock: and ouch if i may so :lol:

$360 for an XT chainset, $115 for the cassette and $130 for the rear mech :shock: i know thats dollars, but thats a crazy amount to pay imo!!!!!!!!!!
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Prefer the SRAM ratios/overlap, but the red x9 looks cheap and tacky - I hope some of the other colours look better.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    I wont be buying into the 10 speed awful revolution.

9 Speed was a dubious improvment, less reliable shifting all over. and i really can't see 10 speed being any different, narrower chains and cassestes faster wear, less life and less strength.

Seems like more spend all you money snake oil to me
  • RealMan
    Bet you're not a fan of campag 11 speed then.

Or shimano 14 speed..

:D
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I don't give a god damn! As long as it shifts!

But... Sram is probabley better, but I love the looks of Shimano
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    would you choose either shimano or sram groupset? or what mixture of shimano and sram did you find that workd for you? i use shimano slx most of the way through tho tempted by all those who have gone for sram shifters and rear mech
  • lawman
    tbh im not that keen on the sram cranks, they look abit BSO imo, and i dont like elixer brakes, but the rest is ace looking stuff and will probably be great performance wise, i just wish more people would make chainsets that work on a similar principle that sram now use
  • i havent used the shimano trigger shifters (i was using 12 year old SIS thumb shifters up until about 2 weeks ago) but i put on some Sram X5s on and they are lovely to shift, but abit counter intuitive, the RH big goes down, and little goes up, and the LH big goes up and little goes down, means u have to think before you shift, although that might change with time :)
  • RealMan
    i havent used the shimano trigger shifters (i was using 12 year old SIS thumb shifters up until about 2 weeks ago) but i put on some Sram X5s on and they are lovely to shift, but abit counter intuitive, the RH big goes down, and little goes up, and the LH big goes up and little goes down, means u have to think before you shift, although that might change with time :)

Not quite sure if I understood that perfectly, but I'm pretty sure shimano are the same. Anyone?
  • oh really?
    thatd be fairly typical :) and i havent ridden anything with shimano triggers on it. its seems really odd that they dont make each corresponding lever up (although i can see why it is like this from the cable being pulled through)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You can - buy a rapid rise rear mech.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,158
    RealMan wrote:
    i havent used the shimano trigger shifters (i was using 12 year old SIS thumb shifters up until about 2 weeks ago) but i put on some Sram X5s on and they are lovely to shift, but abit counter intuitive, the RH big goes down, and little goes up, and the LH big goes up and little goes down, means u have to think before you shift, although that might change with time :)

Not quite sure if I understood that perfectly, but I'm pretty sure shimano are the same. Anyone?
    Shimano is the same. And not sure I understood either.

I've got XT on the MTB and Rival on the Hybrid. On both it's a quick click of the left shifter to move to the smaller chainring(s), longer push to go the other way: a quick click to move to the smaller cogs on the cassette and a longer push to go the other way. Main diff is Shimano has 2 levers each side, SRAM has one lever each side.

If that makes any sense...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]