Anthony Roux on Chinny

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited April 2010 in Pro race
He's not really a believer. And claims there is a lot of disbelief in the peloton.

http://www.cyclismag.com/article.php?sid=5746#ancre1
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    iainf72 wrote:
    He's not really a believer. And claims there is a lot of disbelief in the peloton.

http://www.cyclismag.com/article.php?sid=5746#ancre1

me too. I see he's dropping off the radar a bit now...out of Amstel.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    There's even talk that Cancellara has some hidden motor on his bike, a reverse dynamo that powers the bottom bracket axle. Apparently that's why he had to change bikes, to get a new battery.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Kléber wrote:
    There's even talk that Cancellara has some hidden motor on his bike, a reverse dynamo that powers the bottom bracket axle. Apparently that's why he had to change bikes, to get a new battery.

Seriously? Aren't bikes checked. You are taking the p1ss right?
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • Kléber
    How could they check the inside of the bike? I think the bike is weighed and measured.

I also think it's a daft idea, it came from the Inner Ring blog which concluded by saying that if some think there's a dynamo, others, like Roux, are whispering about more obvious performance enhancers. You might say if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's unlikely to be an electric duck.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    :roll:

*faint whooshing noise*

Strava is not Zen.
  • csp
    csp Posts: 777
    So that could be why Breschel was so upset about the bike change in Flanders, claiming he had been given the wrong bike, i.e. one without a motor.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    Kléber wrote:

:lol:
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Timoid. wrote:
    Kléber wrote:

Seriously? Aren't bikes checked. You are taking the p1ss right?

no he is being deadly serious

special super magnets in the
    BB shell
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    csp wrote:
    So that could be why Breschel was so upset about the bike change in Flanders, claiming he had been given the wrong bike, i.e. one without a motor.

yeah I was down for the super conducting magnet bike... what gives? :lol:
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    It's no coincidence that Cancellara's timetrial training involves two laps of the 27km CERN LHC circuit.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    No special magnets needed.
    A few years ago at Eurobike, a German(?) manufacturer showed a small motor to be mounted inside a seat-tube which drove the BB axle by a bevel gear. As an option they had a high power compact battery pack which also fitted into the seat tube and gave boosts of ~200W. The only external indication was a small push-button on the bars - that and the fact that you went up the road like a stabbed rat.

IIRC the complete assembly only weighed a 1-2 kg.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • csp
    LangerDan wrote:
    A few years ago at Eurobike, a German(?) manufacturer showed a small motor to be mounted inside a seat-tube which drove the BB axle by a bevel gear. As an option they had a high power compact battery pack which also fitted into the seat tube and gave boosts of ~200W. The only external indication was a small push-button on the bars - that and the fact that you went up the road like a stabbed rat.

Here it is, but it's Japanese, not German, and it's not just Cancellara, you can see many other teams using it.

columbia_eisel_satellite_600.jpg
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    csp wrote:

Here it is, but it's Japanese, not German, and it's not just Cancellara, you can see many other teams using it.

They're gear shifters.

I've yet to see an electronic bike on which it wasn't bleeding obvious where the battery was. He's a selection of e-bikes for the most recent Eurobike show. All with batteries the size of the Complete Works of Shakespeare.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gallery/article/eurobike-e-bikes-creating-a-buzz-23032?img=25&pn=eurobike-e-bikes-creating-a-buzz&mlc=news%2Farticle
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • LangerDan wrote:

I've never yet managed to stab a rat. I do find his recent performances incroyable, but I'm more with kleber on the electric duck thing.
    Dan
  • mididoctors
    4525123437_0b35521e0b.jpg
  • LangerDan
    Found it - the "Gruber Assist" - the commerical version has a small Li Ion or NiMH pack in the saddle bag but they did show a tube mounted battery pack at one of the shows.
    gruber-assist.jpg

http://www.gruberassist.com/english/dow ... er-assist/
  • mididoctors
    LangerDan wrote:

an electric motor will have magnets in it thou...

a 200w motor with a battery that is small enough to stuff in the seat tube?
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    4525123437_0b35521e0b.jpg

*golf clap*

Well played.
  • Kléber
    Thread of the year so far for me :lol:
  • mididoctors
    thats how ridiculously awesome that ride was....

people are now actually entertaining the idea whether he had a motor attached to the bike!

@£$^%^&*^^%$%$ WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Kléber
    The thing is that it's not internet forum fantasy, read the linked articles from blog and the articles linked say it's riders in the peloton. Now I know people can be sarcastic but do pro riders every employ such irony? Not usually but even if they are having a laugh, it's a great story.
  • DavMartinR
    DavMartinR Posts: 897
    Does this mean Steven Hawkin is an outside bet for the tour this year???
  • LangerDan
    Furthermore, he apparently had the "Zertz" polymer sections of his seat stays infilled with piezoelectronic units so that the vibration of the bike over the cobbles would recharge the battery.

(In a sport where people have been prepared to inject fluorocarbons and hide condoms filled with the urine of other people up their jacksy to fool the testers, an electric motor isn't that far-fetched :wink: )
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    I can't believe some people are taking these devices seriously.

If these devices exist then show me the patents. Because I've had a quick look and there's nothing credible there.

For the record: The Gruber Assist - patent no EP 1878650 - no mention of batteries in the seat post

Piezoelectric units? Patent no JP 2010013085 - but they're attached to saddle springs and produce enough to power a small LED, not to drop Tom Boonen.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    RichN95 wrote:

If these devices exist then show me the patents. Because I've had a quick look and there's nothing credible there.

For the record: The Gruber Assist - patent no EP 1878650 - no mention of batteries in the seat post

Piezoelectric units? Patent no JP 2010013085 - but they're attached to saddle springs and produce enough to power a small LED, not to drop Tom Boonen.

Marginal gains!
  • csp
    Watch this video from 4:35, his bike keeps moving, even though he's not pedalling. There can be no doubt that bike is propelled by some hidden device.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOaV3jJ1RHs

I can't believe some people take this thread seriously.
  • alanmcn1
    alanmcn1 Posts: 531
    DavMartinR wrote:
    Does this mean Steven Hawkin is an outside bet for the tour this year???

SUPERB!!!!! :P
    Robert Millar for knighthood
  • afx237vi wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Marginal gains!
    :lol::lol:
    Dan
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Here's where Chinny got the idea - same hill as well!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSSYKIMl_S0
  • LangerDan
    RichN95 wrote:

Thats only cos I just invented the units for the Specialized frame this afternoon. I'm thinking of some catchy moniker for flogging them -"Small Piezo UNits for Cancellara" or SPUNC
    "Have you got SPUNC on your frame?

The drive system is to be named "Battery Assisted Power Surge". Its likely to be illegal so I foresee team mechanics being given the instruction "make sure the Commisaires cannot see Chinnys BAPS". Sales to womens teams may be less than predicted.

The battery packs can be configured for locating in any suitable frame, using my "Supply Hidden In Tubes" technology.