Simoni signs with Lampre

Kléber
Kléber Posts: 6,842
edited April 2010 in Pro race
Gibo will ride the Giro with Lampre, his retirement was shortlived and aged, 39, he'll be able to ride a mountain stage into his home town.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/gilbert ... e-the-giro

Comments

• Kléber wrote:
    Gibo will ride the Giro with Lampre, his retirement was shortlived and aged, 39, he'll be able to ride a mountain stage into his home town.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/gilbert ... e-the-giro

I had thought that was a done deal a couple of months ago, wondered why I couldn't see him on their roster!

He's from the same village as Moser too, in fact he's his nephew by marriage. Would love to see him pull that one off.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    If he doesn't win something he's bound to accuse someone of wanting him to pay them off or make suggestions about their parents :wink:

Can I be the first to boldly predict he'll be anonymous throughout the race? Aside from those shots of "previously excellent climber goes backwards on motorway bridge"?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Simoni, Horner, Armstrong, Eeckhout.. Is 2010 the "International Year of the Elderly"
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    At least Simoni hasn't taken a 3 year sabatical, so we have seen his form gradually go into decline.
    Great news, IMO. He's always going to be a topic for conversation.
    Bowing out in the manner that he wished. (testing permitted)
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    At least Simoni hasn't taken a 3 year sabatical, so we have seen his form gradually go into decline.
    Great news, IMO. He's always going to be a topic for conversation.
    Bowing out in the manner that he wished. (testing permitted)

I can think of a certain stocky punchy climber who wil be sitting on the pan in his hotel room in Holland gritting his teeth at this news. Did they ever kiss and make up ?
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    They have apparently.

Well as much as you can ever kiss and make up with Gibo and his next public rant.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    If he does nothing all Giro but win on Zoncolan his Giro will be a success for him and many others.

I am happy.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • andyp wrote:
    They have apparently.

Well as much as you can ever kiss and make up with Gibo and his next public rant.

I had read that a large part of his being brought into the team again was to act as an adivser to Cunego through the 3 weeks with a couple of days of freedom to ham it up for the Tifosi.

I was reading an interview with him the other day in an old pro-cycling from 2005 where he is quoted as saying "Armstrong will retire next year also? Then we can collect our pension together!"
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    iainf72 wrote:
    Can I be the first to boldly predict he'll be anonymous throughout the race? Aside from those shots of "previously excellent climber goes backwards on motorway bridge"?

Not so fast -- all he needs is some of those candies from his Colombian aunt.
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    Just keep Cunego away from him. ;)

I hope he wins on Zoncolan!
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    If he does nothing all Giro but win on Zoncolan his Giro will be a success for him and many others.

I am happy.

If 99% of the riders do nothing but win on Zoncolan their Giros' will be a success for them and many others.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    I know in the Uk we have free Prescriptions for pensioners so maybe Simoni could get these special sweeties from his local Chemist for no fee. God bless our Health Services!!

I do have a picture in my mind of all the old Pros hogging all the seating whilst they wait for their free prescriptions. "Oh, Mr Di Luca, fancy seeing you here, have you managed to get your EPO this morning; for your "ARTHRITIS", nudge, nudge, :wink:
    :wink:

-Jerry
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    I can also see Gibbi getting lost as he gets older (Mr Magoo style)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8GTHXTE ... re=related

Also he will be having stop all the time for a leak; "Mee Bladder's not wot it woz, you know; you carry on son and catch up in a while; now wear's the zipper in these shorts"

:D

-Jerry
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • blazing_saddles
    Jose Rujano looks like he might make it, too. as a Footon rider!
    http://el-nacional.com/www/site/p_conte ... pa%C3%B1ol
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Gibo might not do Giro

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/simoni- ... ro-ditalia

Perhaps he just wants to sit back at home and have a nice boiled sweet.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Gibo looks ok-plenty riders come up from mid pack form in time for the Giro...Gibo is likely burned out mentally. Look at Horner
  • blazing_saddles
    Gibo beat Franco Pellizotti on every stage and he's many people's favourite.
    Dave_1 wrote:
    .Gibo is likely burned out mentally.

Having to face Iain's sweetie dig, every time his name gets to print is obviously taking it's toll. :wink:
    He seems to still hold GC aspirations, while the average punter would be happy to see him nip up the road and try and nick a stage.
  • blazing_saddles
    MAJOR brand sponsor signed. So they are now financially secure and have access to better electrical goods than LA!
    http://www.lampre-farnese.com/news/news.asp?id=2086