Colne Valley Mountain Bike Challenge 2010

Luddite
Luddite Posts: 48
edited May 2010 in XC and Enduro
Entries are are now being encouraged for the 7th annual Colne Valley Mountain Bike Challenge, taking place this year on Sunday 9th May at 9.00am.

The course is a challenging one (as you'd expect) and consists of approx. 30 miles of local paths, tracks, bridleways and lanes around the picturesque Colne Valley area of Huddersfield - regularly featured on TV as settings for Last Of The Summer Wine and Where The Heart Is.

The cost of entry is £15 pre-booked (entry forms available at http://www.cvmbc.co.uk) and £20 on the day - although we do encourage pre-booking as it greatly assists the organisation of the event.

All participants will receive a free commemorative T-Shirt and certificate upon completion. The course will be fully marshalled throughout and will have 4 refreshment stops at designated points. There will also be a back-up vehicle available for anyone who wishes to (or is forced to!!) retire early.

Bacon Butties will be on sale beforehand at a nominal £1.00 each, but apart from these EVERYTHING ELSE refreshment wise (soup, bread, bananas, flap-jack, biscuits, coffee, tea etc etc) is FREE. Yes FREE. There is also a brilliant little pub - The Walkers Arms - situated on site, so those that wish to can partake of a pint (or two) if so desired.

So, to sum it up - it's a 30 mile challenging MTB ride, fully marshalled, fully 'catered' and absolutely FANTASTIC VALUE, with a pub on site to finish the day off as well. You won't find a better day out in this area on the 9th May. Come and give it a go - you've nothing to lose and we're absolutely certain that you'll be well looked after and have a great time.

Comments

• Just sent my entry off, looks an interesting event and should be a good marker for how my trainings going for Gisburn dirty dozen.
  • AndrewBF
    AndrewBF Posts: 20
    I'll be there and ready to go. I believe I've been allocated rider number '2' which is not a reflection of my ability, more the fact that I applied early when the applications opened a few months ago :)

It will be my 3rd CVMBC and I'll be aiming for a 3hr 15m time.

There is a brilliant write up of the ride, which really sums up the challenge here: http://www.bigalsplace.co.uk/fatlad/?p=256

I'll be riding there from home this year - no transport. All part of the prep work for the Kielder 100 in Sept (yep, I'm mad).
    Follow @mtb365 on Twitter
  • :D Nice one, I'll read that as big Al is a mate of mine from Bad brains mbc.
    I'm also doing the Kielder 100 so you're not the only mad one Andrew.
  • nbr_uk
    nbr_uk Posts: 32
    Currently recovering from this - it was the first event I've taken part in and I really enjoyed it.

It was really well organised and you get a lot for your money.

My legs are killing me but I had a great time.

A big thanks to the event organisers/marshals etc. - you did a great job!
  • tubaonwheels
    tubaonwheels Posts: 448
    Hear hear, great value event. excellent conditions and some lovely hills :shock:
  • freakybacon
    freakybacon Posts: 36
    Gutted. Retired 12 miles in with a broken gear mech hanger. I will be back next year though- I now have a ghost to lay to rest. Was turning out to be a great ride too- good weather and well attended. Many thanks to the recovery guys in the Nissan Navara truck who picked me up and returned me to the start.

New gear hanger, & gear cable- £12.
    The beatings, horsewhippings and torture will continue until performance improves to an acceptable level. This may take some time.
  • cw42
    cw42 Posts: 205
    Gutted. Retired 12 miles in with a broken gear mech hanger. I will be back next year though- I now have a ghost to lay to rest. Was turning out to be a great ride too- good weather and well attended. Many thanks to the recovery guys in the Nissan Navara truck who picked me up and returned me to the start.

New gear hanger, & gear cable- £12.

were you the chap in specialized kit? saw someone sitting on a bench by the side of the road looking very peeved. Gutted for you mate.
    It was indeed a great event once again. Very well organised and well attended. Missed out on our goal of 4 hours by 3 mins, although it took that long to get through the start again this year, so I count it as done in under 4 hours :)
    Great route too, and the weather was just about perfect. Will be back next year for sure.
    If you read this organisers, you've done a cracking job, well done and a big thankyou from # 74 and 75
    live long, eat biscuit
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    4th time doing this event, got round in a PB of 3h58mins, not too bad considering I was on a brand new bike which I hadn't ridden in anger so wasn't too sure how it'd cope, it did the job perfectly!

http://www.photosbysimon.com/mp_client/ ... A6102t.jpg

http://www.photosbysimon.com/mp_client/ ... A6102t.jpg

http://www.flamingphotography.co.uk/pho ... html#photo

My Mate Dan: http://www.flamingphotography.co.uk/pho ... html#photo
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • tubaonwheels
    Oh my God!
    The shame. the embarassment!
    Just clicked on one of Andy B's links and searched to find a picture of myself....
    I bottled the pathetic little bit of a 'dh' slope into the quarry - and now find to my shame a photo of me tip toe'ing carefully like some geriatric ponce, with a queue of 4 or 5 frustrated mountain bikers cursing behind me!
    :oops:
  • cw42
    cw42 Posts: 205
    Oh my God!
    The shame. the embarassment!
    Just clicked on one of Andy B's links and searched to find a picture of myself....
    I bottled the pathetic little bit of a 'dh' slope into the quarry - and now find to my shame a photo of me tip toe'ing carefully like some geriatric ponce, with a queue of 4 or 5 frustrated mountain bikers cursing behind me!
    :oops:

all the gear, no idea :)
    I was surprised at the amount of people that were walking some of the "technical" bits!
    live long, eat biscuit
  • tubaonwheels
    cw42 wrote:

all the gear, no idea :)
    I was surprised at the amount of people that were walking some of the "technical" bits!
    I think I just panicked as there was a crowd of people and I was not quite sure what was coming.... poor poor excuse I know :oops: The thing was it was a very 'un' technical ride!
    Then again at least I got round in one piece and if I do the event again I will have a better idea of what to expect.
    PS I did ride a few of the climbs that some were walking
  • freakybacon
    freakybacon Posts: 36
    And you all wonder why I stick with my 4 year old Carrera Kraken- not much good having a £2k bike when I only have 10-bob legs!

Remebmber the quarry bit- could have fun there.
    The beatings, horsewhippings and torture will continue until performance improves to an acceptable level. This may take some time.
  • AndrewBF
    Well, my 3hr15m target became 3h20m. I'm quite pleased as it showed immense progress from last year's 4h30m. I'd have been disappointed with 3h30m or later.

Mitigating circumstances: I'd already cycled 6 miles and climbed 1,000ft before getting to the start - but that was all part of the plan. I was right behind a chap who had a rock/face coming together in the short gulley about 1 mile after the first drink station. He was OK, a deep scratch on his chin with lots of blood but looked worse than it was and he seemed to be functioning OK with no concussion and no obvious broken bones. And of course, those huge Yaks with mahoosive horns in the field on the way down to Meltham. I had to slow right down and 'tip toe' around those - losing quite a few seconds on a nice fast downhill track. - That field is about 1 mile from home so gives an idea of the distance and hills I'd already cycled to the start.

As for the quarry - I just use that as a great opportunity to overtake. Quite a few people stopping to take in the view and make a considered judgement on the best way down. I did that last year and built up more fear and anxiety - this year just went straight for it and must have passed 10 or so people. All good fun.

The ride home was uneventful and means that I clocked up 42 miles and about 3,600ft in total, which is all good training for Kielder.

Looking forward to next year and aiming for under 3 hours.
  • tubaonwheels
    AndrewBF wrote:
    I'd already cycled 6 miles and climbed 1,000ft before getting to the start - but that was all part of the plan.
    The ride home was uneventful and means that I clocked up 42 miles and about 3,600ft in total, which is all good training for Kielder.

It would have been a bit much for me to have ridden to the start (would have added about 50 miles :shock: ) but I did go out for a tough 35 miler the day before as part of my plan for the Kielder 100.
    I'm a bit behind schedule for the Gisburn dirty dozen due to a spill a few weeks ago, but I'm sure I'll be okay if I take it steady :?
  • AndrewBF
    @tubaonwheels - if you are near Leeds centre or south of the centre it is a surprisingly easy ride to these parts. I spend a day a week cycling in to Leeds for work - from Meltham. Its less than 20 miles door to door (26 miles by car / M62) and is surprisingly easy. I have it as part of my Kielder training routine now and am actively looking for some off-road trails en-route to add a bit of interest. So for next year's CVMBC you could ride to/from Golcar ;)

If anyone knows of any decent trails that run around / across the A62 between Huddersfield and Leeds I'd love to hear of them to add them to my commute.
  • tubaonwheels
    AndrewBF wrote:
    @tubaonwheels - if you are near Leeds centre or south of the centre it is a surprisingly easy ride to these parts. I spend a day a week cycling in to Leeds for work - from Meltham. Its less than 20 miles door to door (26 miles by car / M62) and is surprisingly easy. I have it as part of my Kielder training routine now and am actively looking for some off-road trails en-route to add a bit of interest. So for next year's CVMBC you could ride to/from Golcar ;)

If anyone knows of any decent trails that run around / across the A62 between Huddersfield and Leeds I'd love to hear of them to add them to my commute.
    Yeh, its probably not as far as I said, I once rode to Mirfield on road to meet some guys for a 15 mile off road ride and was surprised that it was only about 15 miles. I may do as you say next year (can't resist a challenge :wink: )

Can't help you with any off road routes for your commute I'm afraid. I am about to resume commuting to work on bike, which is an 18 mile round trip, that should help keep the mileage up.
  • Luddite
    Luddite Posts: 48
    Thanks for the positive comments folks, much appreciated. I'm glad to 'hear' that you all appear to have enjoyed your day out in the Colne Valley :D

Just to let you know - the finishing times are now up on the website.

Cheers and (hopefully) see you all next year. Oh, and don't forget to bring a friend with you!! :wink: