Shimano XT Hub Cones

Dannyleigh
Dannyleigh Posts: 32
edited April 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello,

I have Shimano XT M756 hubs front and rear, like these;

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=3987

I need to tighten the cones on them but I am unsure as to what size cone spanners I need for them.

Does anyone know?

Thanks,
Dan.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
  • If they're like mine then they are different to anything you've seen before.
    You'll also need a 5mm Allen key, and all adjustment is made from the disc side.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • Gu-Trials
    Gu-Trials Posts: 43
    I have to tighten my Shimano XT rear hub every ride as they come loose often on my bike.

I use an adjustable spanners to tighten the bolts, so I need to know what size it is too before I start rounding of the bolts.
    Dmr Sidekick & Gu-St
    I Love my bikes. ♥
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    A single one? You need a couple of thin spanners to tighten the two cone things against each other when you're done, sounds like why they're coming loose?

I still think new XT hubs, especially rear are arse, but that's another rant :P
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    See the Tech Doc here, you need a thin 17mm spanner, and a 5mm allen key to lock it (so it doesn't keep coming undone).
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    BorisSpencer
    alfablue

not the 756... it just uses cone spanners.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Whoops, 756 :oops:
  • +1, sorry for any confusion caused.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.